Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the forum - Need help with CPAP
RE: New to the forum - Need help with CPAP
(04-11-2018, 11:16 AM)OpalRose Wrote: When you are using a straight pressure machine, it’s a little harder to find an optimal pressure setting compared to an Auto Cpap..... but not impossible.

I would start by raising the pressure to 13cm, then watch for a couple days to see what difference that makes.  Then you can increase .5cm at a time, until you see better results.

You should aim for an AHI under 5.

I agree 100% with OpalRose. Good advice. 

The good news is that your events, ignoring the hypopnea are 100% OA events, and those usually can be addressed with more pressure. More pressure often means less comfort though. You might want to consider upgrading to a new ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. Then you can set a range in pressures, and hopefully you will not have to spend the whole night at the higher pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2018, 12:35 PM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 11:16 AM)OpalRose Wrote: When you are using a straight pressure machine, it’s a little harder to find an optimal pressure setting compared to an Auto Cpap..... but not impossible.

I would start by raising the pressure to 13cm, then watch for a couple days to see what difference that makes.  Then you can increase .5cm at a time, until you see better results.

You should aim for an AHI under 5.

I agree 100% with OpalRose. Good advice. 

The good news is that your events, ignoring the hypopnea are 100% OA events, and those usually can be addressed with more pressure. More pressure often means less comfort though. You might want to consider upgrading to a new ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. Then you can set a range in pressures, and hopefully you will not have to spend the whole night at the higher pressures.

Thanks for the input Ron AKA! Since you mentioned this idea, I'm curious if you know whether it's possible to upgrade equipment without going back to the doctor. The doctor I used when I was first diagnosed used a DME that I really came to have a strong dislike of so the idea of starting over with another doc isn't all that appealing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2018, 12:53 PM)mcparson Wrote: Thanks for the input Ron AKA! Since you mentioned this idea, I'm curious if you know whether it's possible to upgrade equipment without going back to the doctor. The doctor I used when I was first diagnosed used a DME that I really came to have a strong dislike of so the idea of starting over with another doc isn't all that appealing.

That is a very country, insurance company, and jurisdiction specific question. I'm from Canada, and at least in our area, we have nothing like the DME system you have. I'll leave that question to the US folk. I'd guess it comes down to who pays. At some point machines need replacing, and it seems senseless to go back and do another sleep study. That would be common sense, but that seldom applies when you get into bureaucracies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2018, 01:17 PM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 12:53 PM)mcparson Wrote: Thanks for the input Ron AKA! Since you mentioned this idea, I'm curious if you know whether it's possible to upgrade equipment without going back to the doctor. The doctor I used when I was first diagnosed used a DME that I really came to have a strong dislike of so the idea of starting over with another doc isn't all that appealing.

That is a very country, insurance company, and jurisdiction specific question. I'm from Canada, and at least in our area, we have nothing like the DME system you have. I'll leave that question to the US folk. I'd guess it comes down to who pays. At some point machines need replacing, and it seems senseless to go back and do another sleep study. That would be common sense, but that seldom applies when you get into bureaucracies.

Ah, of course. I didn't think to look at your location. Yes, indeed. Things are very different between our respective countries in the healthcare arena. Thanks for the response.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rainbow 
[attachment=6880]Hello,

I'm new to the forum & have been a sleep apnea sufferer for many years. Recently, I switched from a dental airway device to a CPAP machine and am experiencing difficulties with the mask and settings.

Initially, the mask fits comfortably and seals well, then after ramping up, it leaks around my lips and continuously wakes me up. I have dropped the max pressure from 20 to 18. I have tried to tighten and adjust the mask with limited results.

Can anyone suggest changes to my settings or mask?  Help!!! I am using SleepyHead software but a little unsure which file to attach. I do not have a health care provider to assist me as I'm going this on my own.

Cheers
Howie
Post Reply Post Reply
Howie51, You want to start your own thread so people will see your questions and offer advice without interfering with this post.

Also follow the instructions on the link below how how to post your sleepyhead charts. This will give us the most important data needed to see whats going on.

Welcome to Apnea Board!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 269 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 189 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 679 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,584 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,741 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,705 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.