Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the forum. Question about face sweat
New to the forum. Question about face sweat
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Diagnosed last January and using my apap machine for two months now. I'm pretty happy with my treatment so far, but lately I've had issues swewting under my mask. It's a full face mask, which I chose because of sinus issues.
My face gets all weat and itchy because of the sweat which wakes me up. I have to remove the mask to scratch and dry my face out. It happens a couple of times a night but it's annoying for both me and my husband , who wakes up due to me moving around and the sound of air when I lift the mask for a few secs...or the light of the screen if I turn it off and on again.
Where I live it gets pretty humid this time of the year and I thought it might have to do with it. I've read that some people lower the humidifier, I have it set in auto...how much do I "lower" it, since I don't even know how high it's going right now? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to the forum. Question about face sweat
Welcome

It's probably not the humidifier. If the sweat is at the mask seal, it's just that you are perspiring at the contact area of the mask seal.
You could try a mask liner. You can buy them or make them. Go to Amazon and put mask liner in the search window. You'll see them. Those who use them, generally make their own as they are simple to make. It's nice to have a template to cut them out.

Read this thread in commercial posts:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Remzzz-liners
You'll find some folks who will probably send you some samples.

As for your machine. On auto, I believe you set a temperature; and that temperature can be lowered.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You may have sinus issues, but if you don't give a nasal pillows mask a try, you may be giving up one of the best sinus relievers ever invented. By applying therapy pressure directly to the nose, it opens sinuses and makes breathing easier. If your supplier will let you try a unit, don't miss the opportunity to do so.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi!
Thanks for the input.
Sleeprider, I did try the pillows for two weeks and was miserable for the most part, even with chinstrap they didn't work well for me, that's why I switched to the full mask adviced by my doctor. I guess for some people they work wonders and for some they don't...sadly I'm in the second group. Thank you anyway.

Sweat is all over, but it might be coming from the mask seal...I think I'll try the liners as justMongo suggests, hopefully they'll help
Post Reply Post Reply
If the sweat is all over (inside the mask area), then the humidity temperature may be too high.
Question: Is their moisture inside the mask and inside the hose?
(It might be difficult to see inside the hose as I think you have a climateline hose.)

Do try try mask liners; as I'm sure you can get free samples from the reps in that thread I posted above.

You might try using a standard hose. That will preclude using auto humidity; and force you to use a manual setting.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2016, 10:51 AM)justMongo Wrote: Question: Is their moisture inside the mask and inside the hose?

I do have a climateline hose and I haven't noticed moinsture inside the mask... but I haven't really checked either. I'll do it tonight.
I'll also use some liners and see how it goes. My mom is pretty handy with scissors and sawing machine and she made a couple for me out of cotton fabric when I switched to the full face and was having discomfort...I put them away once I got used to the mask but I might give them a try for this issue while I get the ones you recommended. I just asked for my free sample Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO the airsense auto mode is pretty high, some love it that humid. It may be that with the seasonal humidity and the CPAP humidifier you are just getting too warm and sweating. You can try out humidity settings during the day and figure out how to set them and what they feel like.

Remember the humidity level and the main source for temperature is caused by the temperature of the water in the tank-this is only set by the humidity setting. The temperature setting is for the hose temperature to prevent rainout if you sleep in a cold/cool room. So adjust the humidity setting to what you are comfortable with and does not overheat you, then adjust the temperature so you don't get condensation in the mask and tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2016, 01:02 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Remember the humidity level and the main source for temperature is caused by the temperature of the water in the tank-this is only set by the humidity setting. The temperature setting is for the hose temperature to prevent rainout if you sleep in a cold/cool room. So adjust the humidity setting to what you are comfortable with and does not overheat you, then adjust the temperature so you don't get condensation in the mask and tube.

Thank you for the explanation about humidity vs heat setgins...that's very useful
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Erato05,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and hopefully, the liners will help.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! A small point, but don't forget to clean the mask every day. Might just make the difference. I take mine in the shower and shampoo it along with my hair. It loves that! Hang it on the fixture and it's ready to go come nighttime.

-Ron
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 453 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 234 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 173 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 366 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 581 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 155 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.