Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the forum here's my story
RE: New to the forum here's my story
There are some models of PAP machines that do nothing but give you a straight-pressure blast of air, with the adjustments for pressure based on your prescription.  Some don't even had a slot for an SD card so that you can download your night's report to see what happened and how the machine reacted.

The better machines, like the Autoset and Airsense, Aircurve, will not only be more adaptable, they may help to show how poorly a straight PAP machine is going to serve you because they can more accurately show what you really have going on when you sleep.  IOW, by their adaptability, they 'auto-titrate'.  They do a better job of showing practitioners how THEY can't even prevent all the bad stuff from happening while you're blissfully asleep...or trying.  That is to say, the more sensitive, adaptive, and capable the machine, the closer we all come to a fuller understanding of what you really need in the way of performance from whichever machine it turns out you really need...if that makes any sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is an auto CPAP that can provide full data to help you self-titrate without a clinical study. You may want to download OSCAR software (free) and ask your supplier to include a SD card with your machine. I can list many reasons why self titration is better than a clinical titration. Let me know if you want that. Take a look at the many "new to CPAP" threads on this forum and you can see the process. For most people, we know in one night what your optimal therapy settings will be, but some require additional optimization for comfort and effectiveness. A clinical CPAP titration is simply a trial and error process which starts at a low CPAP pressure (4.0 cm) and increases pressure until events are resolved and the clinician observes REM sleep. The quality varies quite a bit, and the resulting prescription is usually a single pressure which seems to work less effectively than what we strive for with auto CPAP, which is a narrow range of pressure that is comfortable and not disruptive to sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much.  Sounds like I should just call them and say I want the resmed s10 auto. Instead of waiting for that titration study. Ive heard the resmed auto for her machine is good to should I do that one? It doesn't bother me if it's girly as long as that son of a gun works lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would get a ResMed s10 autoset ASAP and start treating your problems. The titration will be done for insurance. You will get better served self-titration on this site where you will get help much more quickly.

Otherwise you will get it done and wait a week and get back from the Dr to give you another setting and wait for the Dr to check things and a week or to 2 more get another change and that goes on and on

Here you will get the change to make anytime you share your OSCAR charts.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The "for her" variant has an extra mode and does not cost more. We highly recommend it. It's not so "girly" and lots of members use it and find the for her mode works better, other end up with the standard mode. The difference is subtle but it actually targets UARS which is somewhat more common in women. Again our wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Algorithms
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me welcome you to the Apnea Board.   I see you are in great hands here.
Post Reply Post Reply
I called this morning and they are expediting my order to the DME. I gotta call the dme Monday but I will be getting a resmed. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up Monday as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the fast response. You will learn a lot once you have the machine and can look at the data. Be sure to ask for a SD card. Many do not include it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Not to bother you but you could explain why the apap is better for titration?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Autoset is programmed to increase pressure for obstructive events (flow limitation, hypopnea and apnea) and to decrease pressure in the event of a central or when obstructed breathing is not detected. By observing the behavior the machine and your response to it, we can easily see the range of pressure that works well and optimize the settings. The APAP delivers lower pressure when that is what you need, and higher pressure when that is what you need. As long as that pressure variation is not too wide, it is more comfortable and more effective than a fixed pressure for most people. We have set fixed pressure for some members that are sensitive to variable pressure, but most do pretty good with APAP.

The default settings for the Autoset are a minimum pressure of 4 and maximum pressure of 20. We usually start new users at a minimum of 6.0 and maximum of 12.0 with EPR full time at a setting of 1 for the first night. A higher minimum pressure is easier to tolerate for most people as the minimum of 4.0 usually does not provide enough air and feels claustrophobic. We limit the upper end of pressure, mostly to keep it in a comfortable range that works for most users. We can raise or lower pressures and EPR after observing the first night results. A single pressure machine can be used for titration, but it takes longer and may be uncomfortable if it does not resolve events at the set pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chronic's Story chronic 19 777 Yesterday, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 629,401 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 338 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 222 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Long story short chronic 5 419 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,122 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 721 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.