Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the forum with a new machine
RE: New to the forum with a new machine
Lynda, there is a huge difference in the soft cervical collars. I had a 3" Carex brand one, less expensive and in the US found in discount big box "drug" stores. I have a short neck. Went to a regular pharmacy and had a chance to check sizes--got a 2" one that works and the sizing is on the package. It doesn't have a lot of bulk around the ear line like the Carex and works better with my wisp mask which has fasteners just under my ear. They last a long time but when I do need a new one I can get it online and save a few dollars.

Linda
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip Linda.  I'll look into this and see what's available north of the 49th!

Lynda
Post Reply Post Reply
Quoting Sleeprider...............The lower limit is not 4.0, but he is using ramp which is probably unnecessary.......Unquote

If you look at Lynda's chart under the events ball, the min. pressure is noted as 4 and also the pressure chart indicates the graph rising from 4.

Or have I got something wrong??
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2017, 02:35 PM)Apnea Infant Wrote: Quoting Sleeprider...............The lower limit is not 4.0, but he is using ramp which is probably unnecessary.......Unquote

If you look at Lynda's chart under the events ball, the min. pressure is noted as 4 and also the pressure chart indicates the graph rising from 4.

Or have I got something wrong??

I think it's saying the lower level is at 4 because of the auto ramping feature that was turned off.  The machine was set to start at 4 and slowly ramp up over 5 minutes or so.  It's supposed to be a comfort thing, but I turned it off, as I didn't have it on my old machine and going right to the prescribed pressure isn't a problem for me.  

So my next graphs will likely show a higher minimum pressure setting.  

Lynda
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi WhoKnew,
WELCOME! to the forum.! It's great to hear how well you are doing with your new machine.
I wish you good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and thanks for the welcome!  Even after 9 years, still a lot to be learned. 

Lynda
Post Reply Post Reply
when the median is 11.8 and the 95% and max is 12, I would think an increase in max pressure would be also on the cards

If it were my chart, I would try min 8 max 15 and see where it went. your AHI is very good, reducing flow limits may make you rest better, because they are an obstruction, there are also snores. you have an auto titrating machine, you might as well try it out.

Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2017, 06:28 AM)ajack Wrote: when the median is 11.8 and the 95% and max is 12, I would think an increase in max pressure would be also on the cards

If it were my chart, I would try min 8 max 15 and see where it went. your AHI is very good, reducing flow limits may make you rest better, because they are an obstruction, there are also snores. you have an auto titrating machine, you might as well try it out.

Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c

So, I opened up the pressure settings as suggested. I've been having some difficulty sleeping the last few nights, but I think it's more to do with the season than anything.  I have come to the sad (IMO) conclusion that the one thing that's going to make things better is to lose weight.Sad  Not the time of year for that, but then, when is a good time?  So I'll continue to monitor things and carry on.......Merry Christmas to everyone and many thanks for the help. I really appreciate it and hope I learn enough to be able to help someone else.

Lynda
Post Reply Post Reply
If that has been a typical chart, it has settled around median 12.14 ...95% 13.96...max 15
I would now have min 11 or 12
I would lift the max to 16 or 17

Google LCHF, I found it very good to get my fatty liver, blood tests back in order and diabetes under control, in normal range. The weight is slowly coming off.
This gives a simple overview to how it works for me. The more carbs I eat, the more carbs I want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEayi6IB...D8&index=6

what to expect the first week, besides being hungry for the first 2 days, then it stops
https://www.verywell.com/getting-through...ek-2242037
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Disagree with Ajack because higher pressure has not helped your results. You have to ask yourself where you feel greater comfort. In my first post on page 1 of this thread, I pointed out your auto pressure is driven by flow limitations, and I suggested that no matter what you set your maximum pressure at, you would likely end up at that pressure. At that time I suggested 14 as a maximum pressure, to see if any improvement would occur, but also pointed out your then current pressure of 12 was okay and I saw no compelling reason to change settings.

Please don't be tempted into dial-winging by forum comments. Your AHI was half with the maximum pressure at 12, than it was at 15. IMO that is not the direction you want to go. Get comfortable, try the cervical collar and set your maximum pressure at what works best for you. Your sleep breathing appears to be mostly a UARS (upper airway resistance syndrome) problem, and pressure is not the whole story in helping with that. Your results are fine, but would most likely improve with bilevel using more pressure support than the 3-cm you get from your Airsense 10 Autoset EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,983 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 369 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 235 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 738 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,645 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,788 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 520 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.