Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the forums
RE: New to the forums
(06-20-2018, 01:02 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I think it's time to suck it up and get back on the machine. Use a Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask as has already been mentioned. Instead of looking for a way out, your going to have to come to grips with it and wear a mask. If you don't you'll some day end up in a hospital with .... you guessed it .... a mask strapped to your face.

With all due respect, telling me to just suck it up when I've already given the mask option a considerable chance...is a bit condescending.  I came to this forum looking for other options besides just a CPAP, this is an "Apnea" forum, not a "CPAP" forum...or so I thought.  If that's all I'm going to be told, then I guess it was a mistake to come here.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am sorry to hear about your difficulties. 

I am one of the soft collar users. I had clusters of obstructive apneas. It was pretty exhausting. I bought a collar, and although I believed I  never would be able to sleep with it, I slept much better from day 1(or night 1). Even better, I don't have these awful clusters anymore. 
I don't know if a collar will help you, but it might. 

You have experienced a lot of dissapointments in the past, but I hope you can stay positive and open to input from the knowledgeable people on this forum.
 Best of luck!

Kristin
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2018, 01:14 PM)Rebuc Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 01:02 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I think it's time to suck it up and get back on the machine. Use a Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask as has already been mentioned. Instead of looking for a way out, your going to have to come to grips with it and wear a mask. If you don't you'll some day end up in a hospital with .... you guessed it .... a mask strapped to your face.

With all due respect, telling me to just suck it up when I've already given the mask option a considerable chance...is a bit condescending.  I came to this forum looking for other options besides just a CPAP, this is an "Apnea" forum, not a "CPAP" forum...or so I thought.  If that's all I'm going to be told, then I guess it was a mistake to come here.

I'm not trying to be condescending. Sorry you see it that way. But I'm not going to B.S. you either.  CPAP is your best option to treat sleep apnea. You might not like the advice but I'm not going to lie about it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2018, 03:06 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 01:14 PM)Rebuc Wrote:

I'm not trying to be condescending. Sorry you see it that way. But I'm not going to B.S. you either.  CPAP is your best option to treat sleep apnea. You might not like the advice but I'm not going to lie about it.

I appreciate your honesty, and perhaps I should have stated up front that I wasn't looking to try the CPAP again.  Tried it, hated it, sleep like crap with it, sleep like crap without it...moving on from it.

Again, I came here looking for other options, trying to see if anyone is in the same position as I am where CPAP doesn't work, mouth appliances don't work, and surgery isn't being recommended since there's no guarantee it would work either.  If all you're going to do is continue to say CPAP is my only option, I'll kindly take me leave from here since my question is falling on deaf ears.  Not trying to be rude, or even ungrateful for those that have posted in this thread, but I tried it, it doesn't work for me...all I'm doing is trying to find alternatives.  If you're telling me that there is nothing else, then this isn't the place for me to be looking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the thing though. There really is no other reliable method to treat Sleep Apnea. You can spend your money on a vast variety of alternative treatments and you will still not be able to effectively treat your apnea to get the rest you need.

Many of us (myself included) have done their due diligence and spent many hours researching this subject as well as spent large amounts of money on alternatives. None of which worked. You can either use our advice or do your own research and experiment with different treatment options. My humble opinion is that you will be short a fair bit of money and will have spent many hours to arrive at the same conclusion. There really is no better alternative for sleep Apnea treatment.

What we can offer you is to work with you and spend our time analyzing the data your machine will produce to make your treatment much more comfortable and effective for you so that you get the best results possible. Our goal is to help you get the rest you need. We would like to help you. But you need to first help us to be able to help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rebuc,
Have you heard of Myofunctional or Oropharyneal exercise for the tongue and throat?
The studies say that it can reduce your AHI by 50%.I have had fairly good success with it.
I am intolerant to wearing a mask all night. I  usually only get about 3 hours before I  awake and can't get back to sleep.
In Jan I decided to combine a few of the therapies to see if I can 'cure' myself.  So far so good. I  am down from an untreated AHI of approx 20 to an untreated AHI of approx 5. Still going for lower.
Depending how much weight you can lose....for myself I figured I could reduce my AHI by 50%.
Regular cardio exercise can reduce it by approx 30%.
And the tongue/throat exercise 50%.
If you add it all up, that is more than 100% AHI reduction.
Some people claim that if you're older than 50 some of these therapies won't work well. I am over 60 and they work well for me.
You won't know unless you try.
More about this here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...leep-Apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to point out here is Mogy said he had mild sleep apnea to start. You have some chance of improving enough with mild cases. That has never been the case with severe sleep apnea.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Tracheotomy? bypass the obstructive parts of your air passageway and breathe freely.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2018, 06:14 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: One thing to point out here is Mogy said he had mild sleep apnea to start. You have some chance of improving enough with mild cases. That has never been the case with severe sleep apnea.

Actually, I was originally diagnosed with moderate OSA. I lost weight, retested and was high mild. I  then started the exercises, retest after 3 months and now I  am borderline mild. AHI of approx 5.
You won't know if it will work with you if you don't try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2018, 07:39 PM)Mogy Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 06:14 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: One thing to point out here is Mogy said he had mild sleep apnea to start. You have some chance of improving enough with mild cases. That has never been the case with severe sleep apnea.

Actually, I was originally diagnosed with moderate OSA. I lost weight, retested and was high mild. I  then started the exercises, retest after 3 months and now I  am borderline mild. AHI of approx 5.
You won't know if it will work with you if you don't try.

There is a huge difference between an initial moderate apnea up to 30 AHI, with weight loss to mild or near-treated, and the extremely severe OSA of 70 plus.  Nevertheless, congrats, and hope you continue to enjoy the low event rate.  Have you seen the recent INSPIRE threads?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Which internet forums about apnea or heart disease? Albert2 4 1,123 05-17-2019, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Albert2
  Is this image of SH the correct way to post on forums? Also, how am I doing?! vroomvroom 21 3,198 03-17-2019, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] New to Forums, Looking for a bit of guidance superpowersleep 3 1,076 10-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Last Post: superpowersleep
  New to the forums pdbabb66 9 2,980 06-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Last Post: pdbabb66
  ASAA support forums moved to Facebook truckerdad57 0 1,614 02-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Last Post: truckerdad57
  [Admin Note] Please read: Policy regarding posting DME deals in the public forums SuperSleeper 0 1,808 03-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question FORUMS: Good or Bad Dreamcatcher 16 10,217 04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Snore Monster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.