Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the forums
New to the forums
Hello, fellow CPAPiers!

I'm new to both the apneaboard forum and CPAP therapy.

Background: My GF works for a sleep doc and she complained of my snoring for quite a while. I went to my dentist and he fitted me with an oral appliance. It worked well for a while, but ultimately, my snoring continued. GF did a sleep study and found that I was having over 20 events per hour, with each event lasting up to, or longer than, 1 minute.

Fast forward to January of this year. Having already done the sleep study, I purchased a new ResMed 9 Autoset with humidifier, along with a ResMed Quattro Air full face mask, size small. My total AHI numbers went from 8-9 the first week, down to 3.3 or so after that.

I recently went to Vegas for a few days with my buddies and shared a room with another CPAP user. He uses the same mask but medium size. I tried his on and found that it fit better than my small mask. (a bit more comfortable) I decided to purchase a medium mask and give it a shot. My AHI numbers have not been as low as with the other mask, and on occasion, quite a bit higher.

I realize the standard answer will be, "hey, just go with the old mask," but the other has a better fit. Question: Should I give it more time, or go back to the other mask. (It's only been a couple of weeks)

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Paul
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to the forums
Hi pdbabb66,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You may need to try several different masks and even different types of masks 'till you find what works for you.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Stick with what makes you feel best. Sometimes the lowest number is not the best sleep. Can you compare the leak rate of the two masks? You can get that data if you're using sleepyhead. If it's comparable, you might just adjust to the larger mask. If leaks are greater in one mask or the other, that may be a source for error in the AHI comparison. There are a lot of masks out on the market, and finding the right one for you can be the hardest part of therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the quick responses. I feel better with the smaller mask, but the tightness of the mask seems to be too tight. I have marks on my face for about 30 minutes after I wake up every morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try loosening the mask or using liners to reduce the marks. Mask liners are pretty good for people with FFM and mask discomfort, They may also make the difference in your medium size mask and give you a better fit there as they would take up a small amount of space. Give them a try.

Disclaimer: I am a nasal pillow user, and always have been. By far more comfortable if you can avoid the mouth breathing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do FFM. Situation on FFM is that there is a lot of couped up air volume, you can deduce the larger mask has more volume. the amount of total trapped volume does have some effect on AHI, amount of pressure you feel on your face, the amount the mask moves toward and away from your face during pressure swings (inhale vs exhale pressure when in A flex or EPR). many of the added effects impact your sleep quality.

AHI at some pressure setting is usually somewhat higher between nasal mask and full face mask, more difference between pillows and full face mask. This has been talked about throughout the forum as a good reason to go to pillows, usually mentioning that AHI control is possible at a lower pressure band.

So what can be reason for going to a larger size FFM? If you are using CPAP you might actually be more comfortable with the larger mask. If your EPR is above 1, I would guess you'll be more interrupted, distracted, or aroused due to larger fluctuations and mask motion.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
QAL,

My EPR setting is 3. I purchased the larger mask because it felt better on my face. Should I set my EPR down to 2, or possibly 1?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2015, 03:28 PM)pdbabb66 Wrote: My EPR setting is 3. I purchased the larger mask because it felt better on my face. Should I set my EPR down to 2, or possibly 1?

No reason not to try lowering it and if you don't like that you can put it back up. I prefer the 3 level myself, but then I'm not you...
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
yep. a drop in EPR would be a good test. For me, the bouncing around was disruptive. either of the following helped and both were really good.

1) reducing the EPR, and/or 2) inserting a thin cloth liner between mask and face.

1 reduced the bouncing, and 2 reduced the amount I felt it.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, guys. I dropped my EPR to 2 last night, loosened my lower straps just a bit, and set off on my nightly sleep journey. My AHI last night was 4.8, which is the lowest it's been with the larger mask. I'm hoping that the number drops just a little bit more, but under 5 is still good.

Thanks for all the help!

Paul
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Which internet forums about apnea or heart disease? Albert2 4 1,125 05-17-2019, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Albert2
  Is this image of SH the correct way to post on forums? Also, how am I doing?! vroomvroom 21 3,204 03-17-2019, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the forums Rebuc 20 3,096 06-20-2018, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Mogy
  [Treatment] New to Forums, Looking for a bit of guidance superpowersleep 3 1,076 10-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Last Post: superpowersleep
  ASAA support forums moved to Facebook truckerdad57 0 1,617 02-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Last Post: truckerdad57
  [Admin Note] Please read: Policy regarding posting DME deals in the public forums SuperSleeper 0 1,809 03-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question FORUMS: Good or Bad Dreamcatcher 16 10,223 04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Snore Monster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.