Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to this?? TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF ON COST??
New to this?? TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF ON COST??
Hi,
My wife was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few weeks ago. Some sales guy came by the house and told her that in order to get a cpap machine it would cost like 400.00 a month, AFTER insurance.

Please tell me this is not true?? I have difficulty believing this to be accurate. What is the average cost of a CPAP machine and doesn't insurance normally cover it??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to this?? TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF ON COST??
(05-05-2015, 01:44 PM)henisey Wrote: Hi,
My wife was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few weeks ago. Some sales guy came by the house and told her that in order to get a cpap machine it would cost like 400.00 a month, AFTER insurance.

Please tell me this is not true?? I have difficulty believing this to be accurate. What is the average cost of a CPAP machine and doesn't insurance normally cover it??

OK. "It's not true"

In fact, it's absolutely ridiculous. You were being scammed big-time and I hope you didn't sign anything.

You can buy a top-of-the-line auto CPAP machine online for about $700, cash, with no insurance.

Most insurance plans I've seen run something like $30/month for 10-12 months, then you own it. Some insurance covers the whole thing.

Also there shouldn't be a sales guy showing up at your house. Generally the doctor writes an order for the equipment and sends it to the equipment provider you select (most areas have a few). The provider makes an appointment for you to come in and get your stuff and be shown how to use it.

There shouldn't be any random people showing up at your door.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, that is what I needed to know!!

(05-05-2015, 02:07 PM)Terry Wrote:

OK. "It's not true"

In fact, it's absolutely ridiculous. You were being scammed big-time and I hope you didn't sign anything.

You can buy a top-of-the-line auto CPAP machine online for about $700, cash, with no insurance.

Most insurance plans I've seen run something like $30/month for 10-12 months, then you own it. Some insurance covers the whole thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a supplier list at the top of the forum. You might want to browse your options there to get a sense of what the real costs of a machine and mask are. The way durable medical equipment is provided can be confusing and frustrating, but if you ever want to just bail on the insurance hassle, your total out of pocket costs for equipment will be under $1000, and all you need is the prescription. Keep in mind, "the system" likes to sell you tests and it can get very expensive. Always ask your insurer if a test is required. These days you can get a prescription for auto CPAP and pretty much be done with it, and most of the time that will be covered by your insurance through an in-network durable medical equipment supplier. Ask for their list of in-network providers, and don't talk to strangers.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the money you save, you can get a Rottweiler.
One that will rip the pants off scammers.

[Image: 220px-Rottweiler3.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi henisey,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Here is a link with lots of good info on which machines to buy and which ones to avoid: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Hang in there for mor suggestions and much success to your wife as she starts her CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi henisey,
I find it very odd that a sales person would stop by your house; and how did they even know you are in the market to purchase a CPAP machine??? Thinking-about

If I were you, I would call my insurance before doing anything. Find out exactly what they cover and what your cost would be. Then compare that to buying
out of pocket. Sometimes it is cheaper to go that route, but don't forget that there are other costs involved...like the mask, filters for machine, hose replacements, etc. which might be covered by your insurance.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2015, 04:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi henisey,
I find it very odd that a sales person would stop by your house; and how did they even know you are in the market to purchase a CPAP machine??? Thinking-about

Something stinks here. It's against Medicare rules for DME's to solicit in that fashion and I would imagine insurance companies would frown on that practice also. But, as OpalRose pointed out, the real concern is how did someone find out about his wife's condition without violating federal HIPPA rules? If I were the OP I would backtrack the process of his wife's diagnoses and start asking a few questions concerning who has access to that kind of information and what safeguards are in place to protect it. I'm sure his insurance company and/or Medicare would have some interest in this.

Maybe I'm being paranoid here (and please OP take that into consideration) but, it wouldn't be a stretch for an unscrupulous company to be paying someone inside a doctor's office or a sleep lab for that kind of info.

Like SA wasn't tough enoughOh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
Another option is to report it to police. Your house is not the only place they would go to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2015, 05:01 PM)accurate Wrote: but, it wouldn't be a stretch for an unscrupulous company to be paying someone inside a doctor's office or a sleep lab for that kind of info.

Yep. That sounds like what's going on to me. That could cost a DME or Doc their license. So I suspect they would have great interest in plugging whatever rat-hole that is. Do call everyone involved and alert them to this situation.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Is $6,800 reasonable cost for a sleep study? Hrapovik 8 909 06-20-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: larrykay
  Low cost 12v - 24v power supply for SEFAM S.Box Kingsway 1 763 05-29-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  If Cost Were No Object Should Everyone Use an ASV? Perchance2Dream 7 718 03-17-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Diagnosis] cost of my sleep study withtao 11 840 10-11-2022, 05:35 PM
Last Post: withtao
  Cost of Diagnosis if uninsured TheManseHen 3 652 10-08-2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: TheManseHen
Money Any using Medicare Advantage? SarcasticDave94 15 1,410 08-18-2021, 02:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Money [Equipment] E0470 Medicare allowable cost? lilymaebelle 2 764 01-10-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: lilymaebelle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.