Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to this?? TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF ON COST??
RE: New to this?? TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF ON COST??
(05-05-2015, 05:15 PM)trailrider Wrote: Another option is to report it to police. Your house is not the only place they would go to.

True. There's also Dunkin' Doughnuts.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 08:54 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(05-05-2015, 05:15 PM)trailrider Wrote: Another option is to report it to police. Your house is not the only place they would go to.

Hold it... Wait!!! It's about to happen!!............ LOL
Too-funnyToo-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 08:54 AM)justMongo Wrote:

I don't know where our local police are hanging these days, since they closed the Dunkin Donuts that was just down the street from me. I used to feel secure knowing they were so close. Laugh-a-lot

Seriously, hope no one takes offense. I do respect our local police and fire fighters, but why did they have to close Dunkin Donuts? Eat-popcorn
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you get the company name or some paperwork from the guy who came to your house?

He may not actually be anything outright illegal.

However, you do get to choose who you want to buy your CPAP machine from. (Your DME Durable Medical Equipment provider.)

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

You need to get a copy (ON PAPER!) of your own prescription from your doctor and do some investigation. Also a copy of the sleep study. You want the "detailed" report, not just the summary.

It's possible she has something more than simple apnea and needs a more complicated machine such as an ASV machine, which is much more expensive.

It might also be $400 the first month when there are some up front costs.

However, get your details.

VERY IMPORTANT: Be sure you get a good data capable machine. It's VITAL to her therapy. DME's will try to screw you with the cheapest machine they can get. Insurance tends to pay a fixed rate for CPAP equipment, so they will give you the cheapest junk they have.

Do NOT just let the doctor go to his favorite DME and take whatever crap they provide. Depending on your insurance, you may have multiple in-network DME's that you can use. You can play DME's off against each other.

There's a lot of info in the Useful Links in my signature line at the bottom of this post.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
The thing I find disturbing is that someone who had your SA test results relayed this to a scammer.

A sleep center that does PSGs can make $10-20K a day in profit on $3700 sleep studies; they don't need a $50 kickback spiff for a xPAP sale. So methinks there might be a rat here, probably an underpaid sleep tech or secretary trying to make an extra buck.

These are medical records, and HIPPA regs are pretty tight. Were it me, I would report this to both the sleep doc and the sleep center management. And then I would follow up a couple weeks later and tell them that my lawyer would like to know what they have done about it.

You were only TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF if you bit.

Post Reply Post Reply
note - when I went looking for medical supplies, I magically started getting ads when I got on facebook. it is pretty clear that people use the info I volunteered while online - to their own advantage.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2015, 06:00 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: note - when I went looking for medical supplies, I magically started getting ads when I got on facebook. it is pretty clear that people use the info I volunteered while online - to their own advantage.

QAL

Nothing magical about it. When you visit sites or do searches your interests and use is recorded and "cookies" on your browser cause directed ads to be displayed. The ads for apnea and CPAP are a direct result of your browsing history, online purchases and searches. If it bothers you, clean out the browser and delete history and cookies.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most browsers have a setting option to clear all cookies automatically when you close the browser window. Of course, if you use that, you'll have to re-log in to places like Apnea Board every time you want to use your forum account. But it's one option.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The cost depends on what is being sold. CPAP, BiPAP, or ASVPAP. In a couple of months, I'm hoping to get a new BiPAP Auto with heated humidifier, heated hose, and mask. The total might be around $2250, about $450 out of pocket. My HMO has me dealing with a specific DME. An advantage was I never went through any compliance stuff. Just took the machine home and used it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with all that has been said. I would steer clear of someone coming to your front door. I would also be very careful when dealing with local DME's as I had one charging me some questionable charges. When you go into the DME they will also sell you the CPAP machine that they make the most profit on. You have to be specific that you want a fully data capable machine and let them know which one you want. I purchased the top of the line machine from ResMed and I have no complaints with it. It keeps track of all sorts of important data that can help your wife and her doctor be sure that it is working for her. I have insurance but I decided to buy one online as the price was about the same as me going through insurance and I don't have to worry about compliance check's in order for insurance to pay for the machine. The best part about buying online you can purchase the machine you want, not the one the DME wants you to buy. It is your money and health so choose wisely. The dme doesn't have to live with the machine the next five years your wife does and she should be able to get the one that best suits her needs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Is $6,800 reasonable cost for a sleep study? Hrapovik 8 907 06-20-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: larrykay
  Low cost 12v - 24v power supply for SEFAM S.Box Kingsway 1 762 05-29-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  If Cost Were No Object Should Everyone Use an ASV? Perchance2Dream 7 716 03-17-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Diagnosis] cost of my sleep study withtao 11 838 10-11-2022, 05:35 PM
Last Post: withtao
  Cost of Diagnosis if uninsured TheManseHen 3 649 10-08-2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: TheManseHen
Money Any using Medicare Advantage? SarcasticDave94 15 1,410 08-18-2021, 02:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Money [Equipment] E0470 Medicare allowable cost? lilymaebelle 2 761 01-10-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: lilymaebelle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.