Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to this board
New to this board
Hi. I'm Bob and I have sleep apnea.

I was first diagnosed in 2003 after complaining to my doctor about the trouble I was having sleeping and daytime tiredness. I had suffered for a few years but never mentioned it until I fell asleep driving to work one morning. Fortunately, no harm was done but the incident prompted me to action.

My initial sleep study in 2003 showed an AHI of 74. I was prescribed a CPAP machine with a pressure of 16. The results were dramatic and immediate. I fell in love with CPAP. 

5 years later, in 2008, I had a new study and was prescribed a BiPAP machine set at 18/21. Again the results were great. This was in 2008. In 2009 I retired and basically was without insurance, so for the last 10 years I have been self-managing my care and paying out of pocket, buying my supplies at Supplier #1 [Commercial Link Removed] because they had my prescription on file. At the start of this year I was still using my 10-year-old ResMed Series M BiPAP machine and hadn't had seen any sleep data since my 2008 study. All I did during that time was switch my machine to "auto" mode and changed the settings to EPAP 15, IPAP 25 max, and pressure support 3 min. Based on how I felt his seemed to serve me well although I couldn't read the smart card so I had no real detailed data. 

This all changed at the first of this year when I got insurance coverage (thanks Medicare!). Last month I had a new sleep study which showed an AHI of 17, and I was issued a new DreamStation auto BiPAP with settings of 8 min EPAP, 18 max IPAP, and pressure support at 2 min/max and I am sleeping great. My AHI is under 1 while on the machine even at these lower pressures. I guess I was over-ventilated for the past 10 years but didn't know it. 

I just discovered this board last month, but I really wish I had known about it years ago. The information here is incredibly useful, especially for those who are self-managing. I have installed SleepyHead and it is an incredible program. Right now I am playing by Medicare's rules and not making any changes without going through the doctor and respiratory therapist, but it is good to have to information available to me when I work with them. 

I just wanted to thank those who created and contributed to this board. I definitely fills a need.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to this board
Welcome to the forum.
I do recommend that you post your daily SeepyHead Charts for review here (see the Organize link in my signature.
That way we may be able to help you structure any conversations with your medical team.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=11107 Wrote:bonjour pid='291173' dateline='1554390035'][attachment=11107]Welcome to the forum.
I do recommend that you post your daily SeepyHead Charts for review here (see the Organize link in my signature.
That way we may be able to help you structure any conversations with your medical team.

Thanks bojour. Here's my charts from last night. Please let me know if you see anything noteworthy. Bob

Oops. Here's the chart:

Post Reply Post Reply
As you know your numbers are good, Your medical team will be happy. With these numbers comes the question How do you feel? Any changes made should be focused on relieving any symptoms that you continue to feel and your comfort.

Your numbers leave open the possibility of lowering your pressure (EPAP), since you are experiencing only very very minor pressure increases. Also likely a non-issue is your flow limits. These are like hypopneas but even milder and yours don't call for any action (increase PS) without a reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2019, 12:12 PM)bonjour Wrote: As you know your numbers are good, Your medical team will be happy.  With these numbers comes the question How do you feel?  Any changes made should be focused on relieving any symptoms that you continue to feel and your comfort.  

Your numbers leave open the possibility of lowering your pressure (EPAP), since you are experiencing only very very minor pressure increases.  Also likely a non-issue is your flow limits. These are like hypopneas but even milder and yours don't call for any action (increase PS) without a reason.

Thanks. So far I feel great. Originally PS was set at 4 and the pressure drop was very annoying to me. I like it at 2 much better. My only complaint right now is the marking on my face from the headgear of my N20 mask. I really like the mask and don't want to change. I've ordered strap pads from Pad-A-Cheek but haven't received them yet. Hopefully, that will solve that issue. Thanks for your feedback. Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
review your mask fit.  The most common fault is too tight.  Look up the manufactures video for fit on your mask.  Leaving marks says either too tight or it might not be the right mask for you.

Many of us use P10 Pillows, likely the smallest least intrusive, quietest mask you are likely to run into.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2019, 01:33 PM)bonjour Wrote: review your mask fit.  The most common fault is too tight.  Look up the manufactures video for fit on your mask.  Leaving marks says either too tight or it might not be the right mask for you.

Many of us use P10 Pillows, likely the smallest least intrusive, quietest mask you are likely to run into.

The mask may be too tight. I'll play with that tonight. I also think it's because I'm a side sleeper and the pillow presses the headgear into my face. I tried nasal pillows a couple of years back and had big problems with leaks but was running 18/21cm at the time. I may do better at my current pressures(?).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,318 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 481 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  New to Board. Need help interpreting OSCAR Travel2BFree 23 1,653 12-07-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 642 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Information [Mod Note] Do you want us to know when you die? [Apnea Board Postmortem Form] SuperSleeper 15 5,542 08-07-2023, 06:30 PM
Information [Admin Note] Apnea Board now operating under SSL encryption SuperSleeper 3 1,685 06-09-2023, 11:48 PM
  Hi…I’m new to this board Restingjess 3 945 01-22-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Restingjess

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.