Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to this , need help please!
Question 
New to this , need help please!
Just got my CPAP machine. Resmed with nasal pillows. I cannot get used to this!!! The issue is the exhalation part. Any suggestions????
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to this , need help please!
Hi antcyd and welcome to forum
I don,t use nasal pillows
What S9 do you use? check S9 setup link to access LCD data
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, antcyd. Does your resmed have "EPR" written below the button? If so, you can set the exhalation pressure to make things easier on you. Did you look at the data on the link that zonk gave you?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2012, 07:19 PM)antcyd Wrote: Just got my CPAP machine. Resmed with nasal pillows. I cannot get used to this!!! The issue is the exhalation part. Any suggestions????

Don't panic. Almost everyone has trouble getting used to exhaling against that pressure. One thing you might try is wearing the mask, with the machine on, while you are resting in bed reading, watching TV, or listening to music.

Usually people find that the things that bother them about CPAP therapy at first don't bother them anymore once they get used to it.

If you still can't stand it, call your doctor or medical equipment supplier and explain what's going on. They may suggest setting you up with a different mask, lowering your pressure, or even putting you on a BiPAP instead of a CPAP.

Here's the thing. It's very normal for beginning patients to make changes to their therapy. Even the insurance companies allow for changes in the type of machine or the mask. The important thing is that you stay in communication with your doctor and/or your medical equipment (DME) supplier. They will work with you to make the necessary adjustments to your therapy. They know that patient compliance is the number one obstacle to CPAP therapy, and so they will work with you to make any changes they can to get you to be compliant with the therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2012, 07:19 PM)antcyd Wrote: Just got my CPAP machine. Resmed with nasal pillows. I cannot get used to this!!! The issue is the exhalation part. Any suggestions????
Do you mean the mask exhaust vent holes airflow or breathing out against the pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2012, 10:51 PM)zonk Wrote:
Do you mean the mask exhaust vent holes airflow or breathing out against the pressure

Breathing out against the pressure, I feel like its a huge effort therefore making it hard(impossible) for me to fall asleep. Should I be using a mask instead of the pillows? Med supply store just came out with this machine that had pillows, said it was the only one that was covered under my insurance and the doctor ordered nasal pillows but I could change to a mask in 3 months if I wanted to, how do you know what to use?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2012, 08:18 AM)antcyd Wrote:
(04-22-2012, 10:51 PM)zonk Wrote:

Breathing out against the pressure, I feel like its a huge effort therefore making it hard(impossible) for me to fall asleep. Should I be using a mask instead of the pillows? Med supply store just came out with this machine that had pillows, said it was the only one that was covered under my insurance and the doctor ordered nasal pillows but I could change to a mask in 3 months if I wanted to, how do you know what to use?

you need to call your doctor this morning to tell him everything you've said here and see what he thinks. tell him you are not using it at all because you can't blow against the pressure that is just too high. say that you've given up so he has to think outside of his comfort box. suggest to him that you may need an automatic machine so the pressures can start lower and that the dme is not allowing you to try another mask.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing to try is the ramp feature. It will slowly increase pressure over a period of time to allow you to go to sleep. It will typically reach full pressure after you are asleep. Most people seem to tolerate the CPAP fairly well once they are asleep. Also check into EPR which was mentioned earlier. EPR reduces the pressure during exhale making it easier to breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope you had better success last night.
How long (an actual time) have you had and have been attempting to utilize your new CPAP.. I does take some folks a long time to adjust.
Don't panic ....is good suggestion. Don;t rush to judgement that its not going to work. It will work.

Even with baby steps we can still reach our goal of good therapy.
Did you not get an instruction booklet with your machine. Read through it and learn about the EPR features and give them a trial. Give each change you make several nights to help you succeed.
The ramp feature should also help greatly..start it at a pressure of 4 and let it work itself up to your pressure of 10.

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, found the book. I have an ResMed Swift FX for her. I see nothing about EPR in the book or on the machine. Am I missing it???
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.