Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to this , need help please!
RE: New to this , need help please!
(04-23-2012, 05:40 PM)antcyd Wrote: Ok, found the book. I have an ResMed Swift FX for her. I see nothing about EPR in the book or on the machine. Am I missing it???

Hi antcyd,

The swiftfx for her is actually the nasal pillows mask that you are using and not the machine. I'm guessing that you have a RESMED s9 machine from Resmed. There are different versions of the S9 with the top of the line being an autoset. Most if not all of the resmed machines have adjustable settings for exhalation relief, ramp settings so that the machine starts at a lower pressure and then ramps up to higher pressure when you fall asleep. If you do a search on this forum on changing machine settings you should be able to find out how to do it..it's really pretty easy.

I also found that breathing lightly and not trying to blow out hard to exhale makes a difference on how it feels. Just be patient and realise that it takes time to adjust to the pressure. When I started out I was just like you but slowly over time ( it's been about 1 year) I've adjusted to the pressure and now do not even notice it.

tombarelybreathing.
anything worth doing is worth doing well...sleeping included...sleep well friends Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Go here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-p...ine-resmed

Going by the looks of the machine, you will tell if you have an S9 (they're all silver unless you got stuck with a pink one)

More than likely, you have an S9.

Look at the top of the machine.

Just above the On button will be the name of the machine. It will say Escape, Elite, Autoset, or Elite Escape. Below the button it should say EPR.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
omg I feel so clueless!!! Thank you all for being so patient with me.
Ok, it says ResMed Tango C series. Looks like the most inexpensive one Resmed makes. Came with no booklet or anything. DME told me this is the only machine they have and they are the only DME I can use. What now?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2012, 08:16 PM)antcyd Wrote: omg I feel so clueless!!! Thank you all for being so patient with me.
Ok, it says ResMed Tango C series. Looks like the most inexpensive one Resmed makes. Came with no booklet or anything. DME told me this is the only machine they have and they are the only DME I can use. What now?

That is an older 2007 model CPAP machine. The user manual is here:

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

If you need the Clinician Setup Manual, go to this page (Section 3) and follow the directions for obtaining it via email:

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Hope this helps! Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2012, 08:16 PM)antcyd Wrote: omg I feel so clueless!!! Thank you all for being so patient with me.

Call your insurance company and tell them you don't want this machine, and that you're entitled to a better one. Ask them how much your co-pay would be for the machine you want. Ask them if you can buy it online and submit the receipt for reimbursement.

At that point the DME should cave and get you the machine you want.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
By the way, if you're paying for the health insurance and the DME gave you this 5 year old model CPAP, I'd throw a fit - there have been a TON of advancements and improvements in CPAP machines since this model came out. Insurance companies in the US pay the DME around $1500 to give you a CPAP machine - insist that they give you a data-capable, modern CPAP.

Sounds like this DME is trying to pawn off 5-year old CPAP to you so they can pocket the $1500 insurance pays them without having to purchase a new CPAP for you.

The newer ResMed models are the S9 series.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
And people wonder why I get angry with these lousy DMEs... I get emails like this just about every day where some DME is trying to pull these kind of shenanigans.

When starting on CPAP, most of us have no clue and no information to say either way when they try to give us 5 year old equipment like this. It's not the fault of the patients, it's these greedy, unethical DMEs that are doing these evil deeds.

Oh-jeez
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Holy cow. They told you that's all they have?? A five year old machine??

Take it back. Go to another supplier. Don't deal with them any further.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I gave up on local DME's about 10 years ago; I now get all my machines and supplies online. The only drawback to this is that you have to pay full price and then get reimbursed by your insurance.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, who knew?? I asked if this was a new model and I was told "its the newest model out there" What BS!!! Ok gonna spend the day researching and insisting on a new machine. Will let you all know what happens!!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.