Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to this , need help please!
RE: New to this , need help please!
(04-24-2012, 07:39 AM)antcyd Wrote: Wow, who knew?? I asked if this was a new model and I was told "its the newest model out there" What BS!!! Ok gonna spend the day researching and insisting on a new machine. Will let you all know what happens!!

Definitely follow up with your insurance. I am sure that they would be interested to know that the DME was saddling you with a 5 year old machine while I am sure billing them for a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Rritch Wrote:
(04-24-2012, 07:39 AM)antcyd Wrote: Wow, who knew?? I asked if this was a new model and I was told "its the newest model out there" What BS!!! Ok gonna spend the day researching and insisting on a new machine. Will let you all know what happens!!

Definitely follow up with your insurance. I am sure that they would be interested to know that the DME was saddling you with a 5 year old machine while I am sure billing them for a new one.

And then go to another DME, because if they sincerely thought that it wa the newest and brightest model, they can't be keeping up to date with the industry... and if they *knew* it wasn't then they're just not trustworthy.
Post Reply Post Reply
ok so I called the DME, said this machine is not working for me and went on to explain that I want a newer model with EPR etc etc etc and so she said "I'm sorry the machine is working for you, did you check to see if its plugged in?" Seriously???? Anyway, long story short after 2 hours on the phone, this is literally the ONLY machine they carry and will give me. I am now in the process of getting my doctor to call my insurance company and ask for a specific machine, seems I can go out of network and have to pay part of it but thats fine. Will let you all know what happens next...
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 04:03 PM)antcyd Wrote: ok so I called the DME, said this machine is not working for me and went on to explain that I want a newer model with EPR etc etc etc and so she said "I'm sorry the machine is working for you, did you check to see if its plugged in?" Seriously???? Anyway, long story short after 2 hours on the phone, this is literally the ONLY machine they carry and will give me. I am now in the process of getting my doctor to call my insurance company and ask for a specific machine, seems I can go out of network and have to pay part of it but thats fine. Will let you all know what happens next...

Forgive me for saying so, but that is utter Baloney that the DME said this. You should have threatened to turn them into the insurance company for insurance fraud. They are taking about $1500 from the insurance company and giving you a 5 year old machine that's worth about $100.

Stand your ground, ask to speak to the manager. Let them know that if you don't get a modern CPAP machine, they WILL be reported for fraud.

If you didn't have to pay for that old crappy CPAP, there is no reason why you should have to go out of network and pay any additional cost out of pocket for a modern CPAP machine.

They are LYING TO YOUR FACE if they say this is the only machine "they carry". Any DME can order any machine they want from a CPAP manufacturer. They are trying to bamboozle you YET AGAIN. Dont-know

Just my opinion, of course.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
this may be the perfect time to write a letter to your u.s. senator or the chairman of the senate committee that oversees medical or insurance or both complaining about fraud between the dme and the insurance company with your medical care suffering because of it. medical care is a hot button issue and this is an election year. ya never know, you could be the person that causes a congressional investigation into this whole mess. either do it outright, or first send a letter to the dme with info to your insurance telling them that you intend to ask for a congressional investigation into this. a new cpap may drop down when you shake that tree.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
There's also the state insurance board. It reeks of fraud.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 05:08 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There's also the state insurance board. It reeks of fraud.

Um.

Just a quick question...

Can they even still order these new? Are they even being manufactured. What are they doing, selling off old stock, or returned merch?

Edit: Answered my own question - on the only supplier site that I could find it listed they say:

DISCONTINUED PRODUCT: C-SERIES TANGO™ CPAP SYSTEM

This Product Has Been Discontinued. Consider one of our wide range of CPAP machines as a replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. Which makes their statement even more fraud.

It'd be interesting to see what the hours used is on this person's machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
can I find the hours used somewhere on the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 06:07 PM)antcyd Wrote: can I find the hours used somewhere on the machine?

User manual says that run hours are displayed when it's in idle mode.

That's all it says, though, so I'm not sure if thats current run, last nights run...total run...

Looking for a clincians manual now.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.