Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to treatment, no guidance from PCP, OK to go it alone?
New to treatment, no guidance from PCP, OK to go it alone?
Hey guys!

I'm new here (2nd night of therapy). My apnea is pretty much self-diagnosed (well, by my wife) and I went to my primary care physician and asked for a sleep test. After bugging the heck out of the office for 6+ months, they finally ordered a home sleep test. A couple of weeks later, I got a call from my durable medical supplies vendor wanting me to come in for a mask fitting and to get a machine. I had not heard anything from my PCP or Novasom that did the home sleep test. I went to the medical supply vendor and they gave me an AirSense 10 Autoset and I picked a Phillips Nuance Pro because it looked the most comfortable. The supply vendor was pretty helpful, but their help is obviously limited since they aren't my doctor and don't have access to my records.

So I guess what I'm getting at (other than I am looking for a replacement PCP) is am I going to be OK doing this therapy on my own? Do I need follow-ups with my PCP or anyone else? I did not get any initial info such as my sleep test AHI or any goals I need to meet. I did download Sleepyhead and as you can see I am more of a "highly engaged" patient type, so I don't have a problem learning about my condition and setting the machine on my own, I just don't want to march forward using google as my doctor if it's not recommended.

Eventually I will probably get a new PCP and get them engaged in my treatment, but getting that ball rolling and getting settled will probably take months, especially since I will probably have to go out of town to get a new doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to treatment, no guidance from PCP, OK to go it alone?
Welcome

No need to go it alone when you have Apneaboard.

You're entitled to a copy of your sleep study report. I would attempt to get that since that will give you a good starting point.

The A10's default is wide open 4-20 on the pressure in Auto mode. You may find 4 is too low to start with. Keep checking Sleepyhead and let us know the numbers and when you can post some of the screen shots we will be happy to take a look at them.

Grab the clinicians manual here if you don't already have it: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Some more helpful info on the A10: http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsens...setup-info

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I think they set mine to 5-20, but I felt like I was breathing through a straw.

I ran my first night through sleepyhead and it said my 90% was around 9 or 10 I think, and someone said to set it to 2cm lower than that, so I went with 8. It felt a lot better the 2nd night.

All of this is from one day of surfing on the boards at work, so I'm sure I missed or misread some things, but trying to take it all in.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great. After that initial pressure change, it's best to wait a week or two to get used to it and revisit the pressure again.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome, thanks for the help!

I imported my SD card before I went to work this morning. I'll try to post some screens when I get some free time later today.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2016, 09:48 AM)Deej Wrote: I ran my first night through sleepyhead and it said my 90% was around 9 or 10 I think, and someone said to set it to 2cm lower than that, so I went with 8. It felt a lot better the 2nd night.

That should be, to set the Min pressure 2 cmH2O lower than the median pressure; and the Max pressure 2 cm higher than the 90% pressure.
That should not be done with a single night's statistics; more like a week or more. Plus, I would not set min pressure below 6. Below 6 most people do feel like they're breathing through a straw.

You should feel better as time passes and you keep using the machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to wish you good luck! I am in a similar situation as I'm also going at it alone (with the help of the great people here) and just completed my second night of treatment. I'll be following along to see how you're doing!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are my numbers if you care to see them. (I hope I posted these images correctly, they seem huge).

I took the mask off Tuesday night and didn't realize I did it. I woke up again about an hour later and put it back on. The graph is messed up because I was testing the mask after work and it logged it as sleep.

edit: The img tags won't work, says I can't post clickable links, so here is the imgur links.
Album: imgur.com/a/Daup8

http://i.imgur.com/KCQ89lz.png

And here are some shots from Wednesday night.

http://i.imgur.com/g9tCijy.png

http://i.imgur.com/ISAlcfQ.png

http://i.imgur.com/Jubh63O.png
Post Reply Post Reply
I fixed your links. You can do attachments if that works better for you.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Deej, looks like you're getting pretty good treatment. If you want to eliminate some of that OA, you might want to increase the minimum pressure a bit. You're using an EPR setting of 3, so your minimum EPAP pressure is actually your minimum pressure minus 3 cm. As you can see, your mask pressure drops to about 5.0 on each breath. It's still a low event rate, so you're doing fine if you don't change a thing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 61 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 214 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 125 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Pressure] Looking for some pressure guidance lavenderlate 1 137 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 284 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 200 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.