Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to treatment, no guidance from PCP, OK to go it alone?
RE: New to treatment, no guidance from PCP, OK to go it alone?
(02-04-2016, 09:38 AM)Deej Wrote: So I guess what I'm getting at (other than I am looking for a replacement PCP) is am I going to be OK doing this therapy on my own? Do I need follow-ups with my PCP or anyone else? I did not get any initial info such as my sleep test AHI or any goals I need to meet. I did download Sleepyhead and as you can see I am more of a "highly engaged" patient type, so I don't have a problem learning about my condition and setting the machine on my own, I just don't want to march forward using google as my doctor if it's not recommended.

Eventually I will probably get a new PCP and get them engaged in my treatment, but getting that ball rolling and getting settled will probably take months, especially since I will probably have to go out of town to get a new doctor.

Dee, first you need to get a copy of your sleep study. So contact the provider who did your sleep test and ask for a copy of the raw data study as well as the final report. THEN, get a copy of your prescription from your doc. Whether you need to see your PCP again depends on your insurance company. Most require a follow-up to pay for your machine. You'll need to contact your insurance company about it.

Welcome to the board!

Post Reply Post Reply
I just got my study results faxed over from the lab. Here are the numbers it gave, I'm not sure which is the "true" AHI.

AHI/RDI > 3%

AHI/RDI > 4%

AI (apnea index)

I THINK the AHI/RDI is what they are calling the AHI, but I'm not sure if I should use the 3% O2 numbers or 4% O2.

Either way, it looks like my therapy is helping greatly since my AHI was below 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Deej,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you start your CPAP journey and going it alone; as you are finding out, there is lots of information and helpful people here on this board.
Keep up the good work and hang in there.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 18 843 04-16-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 141 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 0 74 04-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 120 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 224 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 632 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 464 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.