Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to treatment
Question 
New to treatment
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this forum and OAS treatment as well. Started treatment 20 February this year, and to date have been able to wear the mask all night every night without any real issue. I am trialing equipment from local sleep center (ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset with Dreamwear head gear and nasal cushion). Things seem to have gone well for the first bit, AHI was cut drastically. My over night home monitoring showed and AHI >91 which has been reduced to an average of 8.36 over the first week. The Respiratory tech has made two changes since the 28th of Feb. and I am not sure they were for the better. Primarily she has changed from APAP (6 -15, EPR 2) to CPAP (Fixed 9, EPR1),and then CPAP (fixed 11, EPR off). The changes have not made any real change in my AHI and surprisingly I don't feel as rested in the morning. I would post images but need a few more posts first.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to treatment
Hi Jbee, you don't need a minimum number of posts to attach a Sleepyhead image. That went away when the attachment limits were removed a few weeks ago. Tutorials for attaching images are in my signature. We can help, but really need to know the type of apnea that remain with your therapy, and when and how they occur. Take a look at the tutorials. and post some attachments, and we're glad to help. Welcome to Apnea Board.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.  For what it's worth, I would have to say I generally feel less energetic, or less eager to get out of bed, since starting CPAP three months ago.  Part of it may be my AFib medication, as was cautioned, but I don't attribute any great and positive change to my health now on my third month of CPAP over and above what my statistics tell me each morning...and that is that my AHI have dropped from a pre-treatment average of 30/hr down to less than two.  I have to take that cue as my beacon and just assume my heart and brain will do better over the long term.  I hope you find that you feel more positive about the CPAP experience in time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider and Mesenteria,

Here screenshots of the first few days. I will attach some from after the changes in another post. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Shots from after changes
Post Reply Post Reply
You have several clusters of purple "clear airway" indications in the first set of charts, and that is not ideal if I recall my learning over the past few weeks (in the 'flow rate' graph).   Clear airways are an indication of central apneas.  I don't know enough to coach you about this, but you'll get good feedback from very savvy people very shortly, and I'll soak up as much of what they learn us as you get.  Smile  Hope you don't mind me lurking here.....
Post Reply Post Reply
First let me congratulate you on taking the initiative with your apnea, using sleepyhead,  and joining this group.  Judging by your post, you are waiting for the medical supplier to make adjustments to your APAP.  If you don't know how, it is simple on the ResMed Airsense 10.  Just hold down the big round button beside the screen while simultaneously holding down the home button.  Hold for 5 seconds and it will switch to "clinical mode" and you will be able to make your own adjustments.  

You stated you were originally set on APAP 5-15 and had just as good success as you do after the adjustments.  I am not sure why they used CPAP mode instead of just setting the max pressure at 9 or 11.  That way during the hours of night you don't need the higher pressure you will be able to breath easier.  Might be why you are experiencing more fatigue with the CPAP setting.

Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't recommend you experiment with a soft cervical collar.  Just buy a 3" soft collar from Walmart and try wearing it one night and see if it affects your apnea.  It reduced mine by almost 2/3.  The theory is that it help hold you chin up which actually opens the airway more.  This is more effective with those that have minor/moderate apnea, but certainly worth a shot.

Good luck my friend.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jbee18,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great that you took charge of your Sleep apnea therapy.
Good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Jbee, it looks like you started your therapy with autoset pressure from 6 to 15 EPR 2 and recently tried fixed pressure at 9.0 with EPR 1, then 11.0 without EPR. I think your approach is sound, but your last change just went too far too fast. From 9.0 EPR 1, I would have suggested increasing pressure in 0.5 cm increments, to avoid triggering the CA that became more prominent at higher pressure.

You are clearly sensitive to pressure, have mixed (complex) apnea, and may eventually need a different therapy approach. I can't think of a good reason the majority of your events occur at the end of the night after 6:30 AM. Maybe we will have to put you to bed earlier and get up earlier. Smile Can you think of anything about your physical position in the morning that might be going on that could contribute to positional apnea?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone, Thanks

Fitmart-  I will look into the collar.

Sleeprider - I spoke to the Res. Tech. about the clusters earlier this week. She thought it might have something to do with the sleep stage I'm in.

AHI last night 2.47 which is the second time below 5 since starting therapy. Again more CA than OA.
One thing I have noticed since the pressure increase is that I now have trouble with leakage through my mouth. This morning I turned the EPR back on and hopefully that will make a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 47 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 119 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 278 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 196 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,008 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 580 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.