Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user- 2 week CPAC results + sleep study
RE: First post with a question
I think that you should follow the trial protocol, otherwise the results might be invalidated. On the other hand I would not be happy with somebody remotely changing the settings without prior discussion.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went into the clinic but they changed them and never explained why.

Attached is my last night graph- anything interesting aside from needing the pressure raised?
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at this chart and your prior ones, my guess is that they are limiting the maximum pressure to try and keep the central (clear airway) apneas under control. Which raises an important question - did your diagnostic sleep study show central apneas, or have they emerged once you started treatment? If they only emerged once you went on the hose there is a chance they will resolve themselves over time with some careful attention to pressure. One thing that should be done is to turn off the "flex" as that can often contribute to centrals.

Time, I think, for a deep and meaningful conversation with your doctor / technician to find out exactly what their strategy is. You may be "just a dumb patient who wouldn't understand these things" but you're paying their wages and it's your right to be a fully informed and involved patient.
Post Reply Post Reply
My advice is similar to Deep Breathing. When you talk with the doc. ask why the pressure was changed. Maybe suggest they don't change it unless they can explain what and why they're changing it. You're free to state to the doc. treatment is worse than before because you see the chart info, maybe it's also how you feel, etc. Hope you get the treatment you need.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for everyone response. It sounds like I need to get hold of my initial sleep study and post it. I see them next Tuesday.

I understand in the simplest terms the different between OSA and Centrals but if someone had an AHI of 12 (which I did in the sleep study) made of the following (made up numbers below). Does that mean they are mixed in a normal Auto CPAP machine will not work?
Obstructive Index 4
Hypopnea Index 4
Clear Airway Index 4
Post Reply Post Reply
The answer right now is likely to be maybe. Since your numbers are divided equally between 3 parameters, it doesn’t meet the criteria of half being central, as I understand it that is. At least with just that info. Trying the machine and creating usage/sleep data helps decide whether or not you can claim need for ASV. Typically insurance requirements state trial and failure on both CPAP and BPAP before graduating to ASV. Include a sleep study and titration for each machine as possible as well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks Dave- just a note the 1/3 split of numbers was just an example
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2019, 07:50 PM)kiwi man Wrote: thanks Dave- just a note the 1/3 split of numbers was just an example

That’s OK. Here’s my actual obstructive vs central numbers on the last sleep study: 24 OSA 124 CSA

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
You haven't mentioned which province you live in - every province has different rules for supplying machines. Saskatchewan will loan you a machine, Ontario will pay 75% except nothing for ASV, the others seem to be 'you are on your own'.

With the mix of centrals and hypopnea that you are showing, looking at the sleep study would tell us a lot about which machine would be most appropriate for you.

Have you looked at background information in the wiki? http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
New user- 2 week CPAC results + sleep study
Hi All!  Thanks for the FANTASTIC forum Thanks 

I have attached my sleep study and two trial on the CPAC machine. Unfortunately its not going too well.

It seems like I am a central guy- would the typical machine even help?

The doc dropped down the pressure about 1 week in (not sure why)

My GF say I mouth breathe during the night but I can't see that in the leaks? or can I?

Any words of wisdom? I lover to turn around my results.

Kriwi Man.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   Sleep study results page 3.pdf (Size: 845.59 KB / Downloads: 22)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 89 1,630 04-23-2024, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 113 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 205 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 10 279 04-22-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 22 539 04-22-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,555 04-17-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 204 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.