Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Will it ever be possible to sleep longer?
Will it ever be possible to sleep longer?
For the time being, it seems I have addressed a number of issues.

I am happy with the F20 foam mask. It is comfortable and rarely leaks.

I wear a soft cervical collar and try to sleep on my side, with a very thin pillow. Most nights my AHI are under 1.

My dry mouth seems to be mostly under control. 

I take a .5 mg of ativan nightly. That is a carry over from wearing a dental appliance for ten years. It was like sleeping with a hockey puck in my mouth. Now, I am essentially addicted (psychologically and/or physically) to the ativan, despite that it is a low dose. On the horizon, I will tackle it at some point.

My question is this... I am lucky if I get 7 hours of sleep in two or three sessions throughout the night. A lot of times I get six hours. If I make it to 8 hours, I feel quite good the next day. 
It doesn't seem, though, that I can ever extend my sleep on a regular basis.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Will it ever be possible to sleep longer?
The idea that normal or optimal sleep is a single continuous 8 hours of sleep without disruption or awakening is a myth, and discontinuous or segmented sleep is normal for many people. It has nothing to do with CPAP. https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/fe...ed-sleep#1
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm having a similar experience. A complete undisturbed 'model' sleep cycle is approximately 90 minutes. We should get 4 to 5 of these a night.
For me 4 cycles is good, 5 cycles is great in terms of how I feel the next day.

In the beginning with Cpap I was waking at the end of cycles 2,3 and 4 then getting up pretty consistently. It wasn't until 2 months in that I had a single night where I didn't wake until after cycle 4. Now sometimes I get up after cycle 4, sometimes I manage to go back to sleep and get cycle 5.

I have a number of friends that have been on Cpap for years that report never sleeping more than 7 hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello.

Sleep duration is a mystery and somewhat elusive to me.  I have been struggling to get anything close to even 6 hours.  But my head got a little messed up in January when I had just under 3 hours and felt the best I ever have with this go round of PAP therapy.  The majority of my sleep, until recently, was anywhere from 2-4+ hours and boy did I feel icky.  The past few days I have been getting a little better than 5 hrs, and even with all my other issues, and I can feel a slight difference in how I feel in the morning.  Even without it being continuous sleep sessions.

To clarify, are you saying that you must reach 8 hrs to feel good?  At 6 or 7 hours you feel pretty bad?  If it is 6 or 7 hours without events or anything, you still don't feel decent when you wake up for the day?

Just curious  Shy

Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
My doctor mentioned to me at one point that I should aim for seven or eight hours.

I do believe I feel better after the rare days that I get eight hours.

By the way, those eight hours are fragmented. Lately, I have been getting out of bed at least once a day.

Other times, I wake up for various reasons. Muscles are sore. Mask is burping. Or I just wake up. Usually, I roll over and can fall back sleep in 10 minutes or so.

A steady seven hours without waiting up would be incredible.
But right now I would settle for 8 hours of fragmented sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Renoir, to what extent do you follow the sleep "hygiene" guidelines:

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.

And do you avoid looking at the clock when you wake up during the night?
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a great list.
I'm actually fairly compliant.
I do look at the clock when I wake up.
I just got a book on cognitive behavioral sleep therapy... likely some good info.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I will be very interested to learn how it goes for you if you try CBST. I've read a lot of references to it but haven't heard first-hand experience.

The clock thing is strange, but it does seem to help me not to look at it. Might be worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 217 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 248 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,401 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  F20 Touch (foam) cushion --Longer Use and Larger Leaks snorin2 18 2,065 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Pilot-24 no longer recognizes CPAP DanDV 1 686 08-20-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 829 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,623 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.