Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user - AHI jumped to 3.72 from 0.37
RE: New user - AHI jumped to 3.72 from 0.37
Never mind.  Found a section on the changing max air pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some textbook flow limitations. I'll be curious to see if some of those events go away when you use the eliminator pillow.

I am guessing Bonjour meant max pressure but should wait for him to confirm especially now that I kind of have second thoughts.

Increasing pressure is only helpful if it helps reduce apneas, flow limitations etc. I didn't think it was helping that much but after seeing the example you just shared you can see how the increasing pressure helped get the flow limited breaths back to normal breathing so it appears it did help in that situation. If you do reduce max pressure then it will probably become obvious if it is helping or not as instances like that will probably turn into hypopneas or apneas or continue to be bad flow limitations until an arousal (which will show up as big jagged breaths similar to when you are awake, to see some examples look at the times in morning just before you shut off machine).
Post Reply Post Reply
The eliminator pillow is expected to be delivered tomorrow.
On the other hand, I would like to try reduced max pressure to see if it makes any differences.
You guys have been fantastic with helpful responses.
Have a nice weekend!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes reducing max to 12 is a radical change. It is an experiment looking to reduce pressure excursion. I do expect to further change max pressure based on the results. Yes, it could cause more significant apneic events. But it also has been a successful strategy that has worked for many. It certainly is not likely to be the end game.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seeing the TV of 280 I have to ask is your ideal weight around 88 lbs (40 kg)?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am sorry but what is the "TV of 280?"
Post Reply Post Reply
TV is Tidal volume. The amount of air that passes in and out of the lungs in an ordinary breath. Medically normal is calculated as 7 ml per kg of body weight normally considered Ideal body weight. It is actually a range of 6-8 ml/kg. A low value may indicate that you are not breathing deeply enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm.  Interesting point!
Thanks for pointing it out.
Checking the TV values from other days, it was around 280-300.
It seems like my breathing is weak as I weigh around 130 lbs.
Post Reply Post Reply
You only weighing 130 lbs brings those values closer in line though and less of an issue then say my grandfather who has similar ventilation and is a fair size bigger.

Low ventilation is why I was curious to see 2 minute windows of normal respiration. My grandfathers breaths look flattened which I am sure is due to restricted breathing but when it is just flattened breaths often don't get flagged as flow limitation. Your breathing didn't look that bad in what you posted other than the couple moments of obvious flow limitation. You can look through your flow chart data and see what your breaths look like, if anything looks strange post it and we can take a look.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will take a look at new test results tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,134 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  AHI jumped fortopman 7 893 11-26-2020, 03:58 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  why has AHI jumped so high? w7sot 12 17,020 03-27-2017, 08:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [split] why has AHI jumped so high? Athena 6 1,689 03-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,236 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.