Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user - AHI jumped to 3.72 from 0.37
RE: New user - AHI jumped to 3.72 from 0.37
Slept with the eliminator pillow last night.   It felt more comforting to sleep with the pillow but the results were different than before.
Starting from 07:42, a burst of RE events happened, which puzzled me.
Could you please give me any insights?

Also attached is 2 min of normal breathing.

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
That could be confirming that the pillow helped. Before you had the odd moment of clustered obstructive apneas and the pillow might have been holding things in place enough that those obstructions now became flow limitations and reras.

It could also be because of the lower maximum pressure not treating flow limitations effectively. Your pressure was pinned at the new maximum pressure during that period.

I would increase max pressure up to 16 and see how that does. If still having issues increase it back to 20 and see if that and the pillow help things enough otherwise will have to look into a different machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see your point.  Thank you Geer1.
Allow me to attached the results from 2 days ago.
It looked quite normal to me, which was encouraging.
I was hoping to better results with the pillow but ...
Anyway, will follow your suggestion.  Thanks again!

Post Reply Post Reply
The RERAs are an indication of Flow Limits that you still see. Hitting the high mark is the result of something that we do not understand yet. I am sure that if you increase your pressure to 20 you will have the same issues that you had before.
I am assuming that aerophagia is not a problem.

My approach to raising pressure would be more gradual than above. I would increase max by 2 cmw now with subsequent increases limited to 1.

Can you track your sleep state? I want to see why you are seeing that hit in flow limits toward the end of the night. Also be aware that we don't want to chase flow limits beyond the point where you are getting good sloid sleep. In otherwords don't chase numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
You were having some decent looking nights before any changes were made. You can't look at only a single night of data and draw conclusions you need to look at averages.

One of the best way to get an idea of how different pressures is affecting your AHI etc is by looking at the overview tab in OSCAR. It will more easily show you if there is any correlation with increasing or decreasing stats based on changes in pressure etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting!  It is not quite deterministic.
Thanks Fred.  Will increase the max pressure by 2 tonight and then by 1 later on.
Thanks Geer1.  Will look out for overall pictures.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  AHI jumped fortopman 7 860 11-26-2020, 03:58 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  why has AHI jumped so high? w7sot 12 16,929 03-27-2017, 08:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [split] why has AHI jumped so high? Athena 6 1,647 03-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,156 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.