Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user Oscar data, End of Week #1
New user Oscar data, End of Week #1
Morning all. Just found this forum after being diagnosed and given a machine. Not a ton of guidance from the doctor other than I need to use for 4 hours 70% of the time or they take away the machine. First few night were rough getting used to mask and realizing I needed a SD card to record and use Oscar. Like the community here and advice from everyone. See last nights results below. Any guidance on pressure/ramp/etc? Been reading a bunch of posts but so many variables to apply to my specific situation. 

Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user Oscar data
CPAP is really pretty easy to optimize, and there is a good wiki for that linked in my signature links. You are already ahead of the game using OSCAR and you clearly paid attention to how to organize and post a chart. With a pressure range of 5-10 and Flex level 3, your events are within the desired range of less than 5/hour, but the minimum pressure is too low. Based on the actual pressure you had, I think a minimum pressure of 8.0 will get rid of most of these events. The Philips machine is slow to react to events, rather than increasing pressure to prevent events. We almost have to set the minimum pressure to your actual CPAP requirements to keep it in the therapeutic zone. Your minimum pressure needs to be at least 7.5, and more likely 8.0. Give a Flex setting of 2 a try. You will still get 2-cm of pressure relief, but the sync should be better and might clean up some of the variable breathing (pink shaded) that we see. Finally, you have a ramp pressure set at 5.0 cm. Most of us don't use ramp once we get accustomed to the pressure. Use what you need, but consider turning off ramp or increasing the pressure as you tolerate that.

Good luck with the therapy, and I don't think you will have any problems getting used to it. Take a look at your chart and the logic of increasing the minimum pressure should be pretty obvious. Nearly all your events occurred at a lower pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user Oscar data
Tried your suggestions. AHI down to 2.2. Heading in the right direction. Sleep was better but got up to use the bathroom around 4:30 and was wide awake. Busy day ahead and mind was racing so don't think that was sleep apnea related.
Thanks for the input. Crazy I would have been stuck at 5 to 20 with ramp for 6 weeks if I listened to my doctor.

Post Reply Post Reply
End of week #1
Thanks sleeprider for the early week input. Attached are the last two nights Oscar charts. AHI in the 2's so I guess that is success. Is there anything else I should try to make the numbers even better?

I think some of my sleep issues in the AM are work/stress related so CPAP is not going to fix them. My wife said this has been the best sleeping she has gotten in a long while since I am not snoring anymore. So one machine has helped two people.

Thanks for any insight. Have a great day all.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user Oscar data, End of Week #1
I merged your new thread with the previous thread as we need the history to consider where these changes have taken us.

The increase in minimum pressure to 8.0 has certainly had the desired effect of reducing obstructive events and quieting your pressure variations. I think you can still increase pressure a bit to 8.5 and see some benefits. Give that a try, and we can revisit if 9.0 should be considered. Happy wife, happy life!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 489 3 minutes ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 51 11 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 66 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 404 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 145 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.