Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why is the pressure always near maximum?
Why is the pressure always near maximum?
For a few years I successfully used a CPAP machine for OSA, until one day last October, when suddenly the average/typical pressure rose from 4.0 to almost 10.0. Since then I have changed machine (now ResMed Airsense 10), mask (nasal, but now new), tube. Ever since, the pressure is near 10. The median pressure in a night is often almost 10, always above 8.

Usually when I wake up the pressure is near 10 (say 9.7). When I am awake, the pressure is also near 10. But before October, when I was awake it was near 4.

What might account for this?

From the data, I do not think the problem is caused by leaks. My AHI is low, around 5.0. I am not currently using the humidifier.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why is the pressure always near maximum?
Welcome!  I think in order to properly see what is going on give you a hand, you'll need to post a screenshot from Sleepyhead.  You can download sleepy head from https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./.  

You didn't say what your previous machine is, but, as you'll notice when reading a lot of these posts - resmed devices are more aggressive at treating obstructive apnea than other manufacturers (namely philips respironics).   APAPs use physiological cues from your sleep to determine whether to raise the pressure, and because resmed devices are more aggressive (proactive imo) at preventing further events that might be why you are noticing an increase in pressure.    

What it sounds like to me is that your pressure range is too low, and you will need to raise the maximum pressure to give the machine room to work.  Generally, when your machine stays at or close to the maximimum all night you need more pressure.  Personally, I would raise the min pressure to 8, and the max to 15, use those for a week or so (unless you are still pegged at the max), and ago from there.    If you are having trouble with higher pressure, and don't already have it on, you can also turn on EPR (exhale relief) to make it more comfortable.  

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2017, 05:52 AM)Mountaineer Wrote: For a few years I successfully used a CPAP machine for OSA, until one day last October, when suddenly the average/typical pressure rose from 4.0 to almost 10.0. Since then I have changed machine (now ResMed Airsense 10), mask (nasal, but now new), tube. Ever since, the pressure is near 10. The median pressure in a night is often almost 10, always above 8.

Usually when I wake up the pressure is near 10 (say 9.7). When I am awake, the pressure is also near 10. But before October, when I was awake it was near 4.

What might account for this?

From the data, I do not think the problem is caused by leaks. My AHI is low, around 5.0. I am not currently using the humidifier.

Thanks!

An AHI of 5.0 is far from ideal, and it sounds like you have obstructive apnea and obstructive artifacts like flow limitation or snores that cause automatic CPAP machines to increase pressure.  Your maximum set pressure of 10 is only half of the pressure your machine is capable of producing, and is probably average, or just below average pressure for most of us.  Why not set the minimum pressure to 8 and maximum pressure to 14 and see of that AHI goes down?  If you feel better with higher pressure, keep it. If it makes you feel worse after a reasonable trial, turn it back.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mountaineer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and getting it dialed in to better meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,646 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 647 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,558 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  [Pressure] Maximum pressure in heart failure? edgnoj 0 484 11-04-2022, 04:58 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  What is the maximum pressure for the AirCurve 10 V Auto and AirCurve 10 S (fixed pres KeepSmiling 3 623 10-31-2022, 10:31 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  BiPAP pressures at maximum Chalkie 15 1,819 09-12-2021, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Chalkie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.