Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What Resmed Machine for BPAP with Many Central Apnea events?
What Resmed Machine for BPAP with Many Central Apnea events?
Been on CPAP for 11 years.  My doctor changed me to Bi-PAP (set at 19 / 15 ) after sleep study in 2015.  Currently using Resmed S10 Auto in S mode, and am quite happy with Resmed machines.  Now 5 years and eligible for new machine.  My concern is that I am constantly showing a Lot of Central apnea events in any one nights offload. This truly concerns me, and I frequently don't feel well refreshed after nights sleep -- even though AHI usually shows under 3.0. Any help or machine suggestions for me before I discuss new machine with my doctor.  Please note that when I asked / showed concern about the central events, his response was basically, "Oh, we don't really look at that...", which to me does not address my question or concern. This in spite of the fact that he is a pulmonologist, and also teaches at a major university in our area. I think that I am going to have to guide, or control (which I can) the preferred Resmed Auto or BPAP machine choice that he writes up / prescribes. Help?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What Resmed Machine for BPAP with Many Central Apnea events?
Assuming the data is available, we can better answer if you can post sleepyhead data. This will allow us to "see" what is happening. If in fact there's central apneas involved, there are 2 paths to approach successful treatment. Optimized pressure settings on a BPAP can work for some. Gurus viewing the data will suggest setting adjustments to get things working well. Second path is that the optimization of a BPAP does not work, in that case you may need to consider an ASV. But again, it is very difficult to know which direction without seeing data. I know I'm redundant.

Coffee

PS if that Duck doctor isn't willing to explore your statement of centrals existing because (paraphrase) "we just don't look at those", replace the doc as he's wasting your time. You need a doc willing to address your complaint, IMO.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since your in S-mode you can try reducing your pressure support by either raising your EPAP to 16cm or reducing your IPAP to 18cm and see if that helps reduce the CA events. Probably increasing the EPAP is the better move to avoid increasing obstructive apneas. As far as machines I'd recommend the Resmed VAUTO. I have both the VAUTO and Dreamstation Auto BiPAP and I think the VAUTO is the better machine. YMMV.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
On the flip side, an AHI of <5 is considered treated, but that being said, how many minutes of apnea do you have per night and how long is the machine on?  I ask that because there were nights when I had very few CA events but the amount of time in apnea was very alarming.  The data that my doc saw was very minimal and the Sleepyhead data showed more specific info and I took it to the doc's office and he agred with my need for ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with pulmologists is that they only care about O2 saturation.

I'd suggest switching to a neuro sleep doctor, will not only care about CA's which are neuro-based. will also help you address any subjective problems you might have with the therapy itself. As a side step.

As for the machine I never used Respironics but I am on Resmed VAuto and it works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Will look for a "neuro sleep doctor".  And I agree ref I only use Resmed machines.

Thanks!  I will try this also.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not any kind of an expert on these type of machines. However, if I was forced to just pick a ResMed machine to help with significant central apnea issues not well addressed with an Auto CPAP, it would be their AirCurve 10 ASV. It offers an Auto ASV mode that potentially will detect central apnea events assist some with breathing, but not as much as a true ventilator. They cost about $5000 in Canada, so possibly $3800 US or less... Google it for more info. If you can talk your doc into it, and your insurance company will pay, then it may cover all bases. 

One caution though. ASV machines are not for everyone. A quote from the link below:

"On May 13th, 2015, ResMed issued a press release and related Urgent Field Safety Notice, “An update on Phase IV SERVE-HF Study of Adaptive Servo-Ventilation (ASV) Therapy in Central Sleep Apnea and Chronic Heart Failure.”  ResMed and regulatory authorities cautioned against the use of ASV therapy in patients with symptomatic chronic heart failure (NYHA 2-4) and reduced LVEF</=45%, AND moderate to severe predominant central sleep apnea. 

ASV for Complex and Central Sleep Apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  And Thanks for the "warning" since I am being treated for CHF with a cardiologist.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2018, 12:24 PM)bcorlando Wrote: Thanks.  And Thanks for the "warning" since I am being treated for CHF with a cardiologist.

FWIW this is a standard/required test to qualify for ASV. LVEF ≤ 45% being the threshold of determining if ASV is "safe". It's handled as a pass/fail scenario as I understand it, and I had to deal with it myself as I'm on ASV. Mine BTW was at LVEF 55.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Now 5 years and eligible for new machine."

I think it might be a little more difficult to get a new bipap than this statement implies. Insurances just don't buy you a new machine every 5 years. If you're medicare, there has to be a malfunction and be a model that no longer is repaired. insurance will pay for repairs rather than buy a new one. If your trying to change to a bipap s/t or bipap asv to treat the centrals, insurance will require an in lab titration study that shows you need this type of bipap. With an AHI of 3, not sure insurance would authorize one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daytime events huge spike liz0859 4 86 5 hours ago
Last Post: liz0859
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 9 231 9 hours ago
Last Post: Tmjidaho
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 204 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 345 04-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
  [Symptoms] Worried about sudden spike in CA events rohit261990 8 230 04-22-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: rohit261990
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 111 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,464 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.