Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user confused on leak data
RE: New user confused on leak data
You might do better sleeping on your side with the P10, if you can do it.

Also, bumping up your minimum pressure may increase your comfort level with the P10. At lower pressures, some users feel like the P10 is a little stuffy, due to its diffused venting (although it has a standard vent rate). A minimal amount of C-Flex or A-Flex may also help.

Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2016, 01:25 PM)mattmill Wrote: Is changing my minimum pressure something I should just do, or have the respiratory therapist or doc do?

You could just change it yourself and then when you next meet with the doctor, if he says something about it, you can explain why you did it. A good sleep doc won't object, as long as you're doing it for the right reason. And in this case you are.

An example of a poor reason would be that you felt it might help, or you felt you needed more air, or you felt like trying it just to see what would happen.

My sleep doc is a pulmonologist who specializes in CPAP therapy. She sees me once a year and checks the data summaries only. In fact, she doesn't have the ability to look at the detailed data! But she's up front about it, we have frank discussions about what adjustments I'm making and why. She's sees in the summaries that what I'm doing is working, so she's happy. Last time I saw her I asked her to write a prescription for me for a new machine. I had the make a model I wanted written down, as well as the pressure settings. She wrote the prescription exactly as I'd requested, and later the equipment supplier contacted me and set up the delivery appointment. The doc knew that the setting I'd selected were already working for me.

Sometimes you have to take an active interest in your therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will be meeting with my pulmonologist in 2 weeks and discuss it with him and what the comfort level is making adjustments on my own this early in therapy. The respiratory therapist has all the settings locked out and to meet my insurance compliance I was told not to touch them for the first three month without a new Rx. Not sure if that is a scare tactic or my insurance company is that tight.

The hoops we needed to pull just to get the machine covered was enough to keep me from rocking the boat right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
All the insurance company cares about is compliance data. Did you use the machine for at least 4 hours per day on 70% of the days? If you go into the clinician's menu and change the settings this will not affect the compliance data.

Your doctor likely has a web-based portal where you can leave him a message. When I write such messages I get to the point quickly, telling them what I want in the first sentence. I then follow that with as brief an explanation as possible that gets to the point.

In this case you might write the following.

Quote:You prescribed a pressure range of 6-15 when I saw you two weeks ago, but I'd like to change the pressure range to 7-15. Please inform the RT or let me know if it's ok if I just do it myself, as I know how. The reason is because I'm experiencing more hypopneas and obstructive apneas when the pressure is low, and this results in a AHI that's just a bit above 5.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 154 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.