New user confused
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

RE: New user confused
(07-13-2013 09:47 AM)montehotbike12 Wrote:  Recently I downloaded the latest version of Sleepyhead and have noticed a pattern where the flow rate pressure often increases right before on OA, Hypopnea or CA event. What confuses me is the pressures and waveforms are normal BEFORE the events. I assumed that when an event occurred, then the pressure would rise in response to that. So can a pressure spike CAUSE an event or is it the result of an event?

Hi Monte, welcome to the forum!

Not sure what you mean by "flow rate pressure". There is mask pressure (in units of cmH2O, for example) and there is Flow Rate in your airway/lungs (for example, in units of Liters per minute: volume of air per unit time). A positive flow occurs during inhale, and a negative flow during exhale. If we add up all the flow during one inhalation or during one exhalation, we get the Tidal Volume (Vt), which is the total volume of air inhaled or exhaled during one breath. If we multiply the tidal volume by the breath rate (breaths per minute) we get the Minute Volume (Vm), which is the total volume of air breathed during one minute.

(07-13-2013 12:37 PM)montehotbike12 Wrote:  I have been using the machine about 2 mos. My AHI average is around 5. You are right...I do seem to have alot of obstructive events. See screen clip.

The screen clip you posted showed the flow rate, showing periods of 20 to 40 seconds of zero breathing, followed by strong breathing/gasping. The breathing gradually reduces in amplitude during the next 30 to 60 seconds, until breathing has again completely stopped for another 20 to 40 seconds, and then the cycle repeats.

What is the color code for the event flags? If the Light Blue flags are for Obstructive Apneas, and if the Pressure waveform was max'ed out during these OA events, the max pressure setting should be raised.

Because Obstructive Sleep Apnea is usually strongly positional, it would likely also help if you prevent yourself from sleeping on your back, by wearing a snug teeshirt with a tennis ball taped (or in a sewn pocket) in the middle between the shoulder blades, or perhaps by wearing a small knapsack with something bulky but light in it, to keep you off your back.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2013 02:15 AM by vsheline.)
07-15-2013 02:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
montehotbike12 Offline

Members

Machine: remstar auto a flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: quattro fx
Humidifier: system one
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: New user confused
(07-15-2013 02:01 AM)vsheline Wrote:  
(07-13-2013 09:47 AM)montehotbike12 Wrote:  Recently I downloaded the latest version of Sleepyhead and have noticed a pattern where the flow rate pressure often increases right before on OA, Hypopnea or CA event. What confuses me is the pressures and waveforms are normal BEFORE the events. I assumed that when an event occurred, then the pressure would rise in response to that. So can a pressure spike CAUSE an event or is it the result of an event?

Hi Monte, welcome to the forum!

Not sure what you mean by "flow rate pressure". There is mask pressure (in units of cmH2O, for example) and there is Flow Rate in your airway/lungs (for example, in units of Liters per minute: volume of air per unit time). A positive flow occurs during inhale, and a negative flow during exhale. If we add up all the flow during one inhalation or during one exhalation, we get the Tidal Volume (Vt), which is the total volume of air inhaled or exhaled during one breath. If we multiply the tidal volume by the breath rate (breaths per minute) we get the Minute Volume (Vm), which is the total volume of air breathed during one minute.

(07-13-2013 12:37 PM)montehotbike12 Wrote:  I have been using the machine about 2 mos. My AHI average is around 5. You are right...I do seem to have alot of obstructive events. See screen clip.

The screen clip you posted showed the flow rate, showing periods of 20 to 40 seconds of zero breathing, followed by strong breathing/gasping. The breathing gradually reduces in amplitude during the next 30 to 60 seconds, until breathing has again completely stopped for another 20 to 40 seconds, and then the cycle repeats.

What is the color code for the event flags? If the Light Blue flags are for Obstructive Apneas, and if the Pressure waveform was max'ed out during these OA events, the max pressure setting should be raised.

Because Obstructive Sleep Apnea is usually strongly positional, it would likely also help if you prevent yourself from sleeping on your back, by wearing a snug teeshirt with a tennis ball taped (or in a sewn pocket) in the middle between the shoulder blades, or perhaps by wearing a small knapsack with something bulky but light in it, to keep you off your back.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

All of you folks are incredibly awesome!!! What great info to have. I'll look at my pressures and up the top one if maxing out there. I'm just getting used to the software so I hope u don't mind if I post some more waveforms later for you guys to look at.

Thanks again to a fantastic group of folks!

Monte
07-15-2013 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Long time CPAP user now with a problem PrkChps 5 148 Yesterday 09:07 PM
Last Post: PrkChps
  Newbie so confused between 2 machines Matzaball2016 4 158 Yesterday 12:56 AM
Last Post: chill
  New User Having Trouble Staying Asleep and more SnoreGalore 9 510 12-06-2016 08:00 PM
Last Post: SnoreGalore
  really confused newbie.. SKClay 9 370 12-04-2016 02:38 AM
Last Post: SKClay
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,323 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  New User! SKClay 3 271 11-21-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Totally Confused by Airsense 10 Data - Centrals - Problem machine... ? mymontreal 20 1,017 11-20-2016 08:07 AM
Last Post: Rcgop