Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user - first meet with DME
RE: New user - first meet with DME
(06-16-2012, 02:56 PM)andersgeorgsson Wrote: I _really_ appreciate everyone's input. I am calling the rep at 8.01am monday... Or is the right way to go? Should I talk to the doctor, the insurance company, DME company - or the provider?

The DME is the provider of the equipment. You've already talked to her, so maybe call her first and see what kind of machine she plans to bring you. It may be the the APAP, the PRS1 RemStar Auto with A-Flex, and you'll be good to go!

Based on whatever happens in that conversation, you'll have to decide who you'll need to call next. Maybe the doctor if you decide you want the APAP and the DME tells you that's what you'll need to do to get a prescription for the APAP. Don't let the DME tell you that your insurance won't cover the APAP as the insurace code for the CPAP and the APAP are identical.

If you decide you don't want the APAP, and instead want the CPAP, find out which CPAP the DME plans on bringing you. If she tells you she's planning on bringing you the PRS1 RemStar Plus, tell her you won't accept that, and you need the PRS1 RemStar Pro.

If you can't get what you want from this DME, you may have to call the insurance company and find out if you can go with a different DME, or even an online DME.

It's really great that you are being proactive about this, and not freaking out. Sometimes all the choices and complications, combined with the diagnosis, can be overwhelming.

Like we've been telling you, don't let them give you a brick. You will regret it. If you get confused and can't keep track of all this advice, just remember this one, as it's by far the most important.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome to the forum! It would be helpful to know what your prescription says. Ideally, it should state that you get an auto-titrating machine with pressures of whatever to whatever, with full data capabilities and a mask of your choice. If the doctor's orders are vague, the DME will, more than likely, try to slip you a brick. You need to have a copy of your prescription in your hands and understand what it says. If it isn't right, ask for another prescription. Hopefully, all will be well and you will get what you want and should have. Keep us posted!

Suz
Post Reply Post Reply
Ask the to doctor write the prescription and specify the type of machine for example: S9 Autoset pressure range 8-12, humidifier, climate line (sometimes its optional), mask of choice and dispense as written. The DME would have to give what the ordered and nothing else. Find out about the 30 days mask exchange which you can try several masks at home till you find the right one as the mask is the most important part of the treatment. Also keep a copy of the prescription for yourself together with copies of the sleep studies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2012, 04:44 PM)zonk Wrote: Ask the to doctor write the prescription and specify the type of machine for example: S9 Autoset pressure range 8-12, humidifier, climate line (sometimes its optional), mask of choice and dispense as written. The DME would have to give what the ordered and nothing else. Find out about the 30 days mask exchange which you can try several masks at home till you find the right one as the mask is the most important part of the treatment. Also keep a copy of the prescription for yourself together with copies of the sleep studies.

Great zonk! Grin

I will call the sleep center too, I have not received a copy of either studies I had OR the RX...

Really great stuff fellow PAPers Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I am new too 18 nights! I did a lot of research prior getting a call from the DME and had decided I wanted the Resmed S9 Autoset Elite. You can get the humidifier and heated hose with it. As luck would have it that's what the DME the sleep lab handed me off to sells. so that's what I have. I really like the machine, it's quiet, great data capture and is very flexible.

The DME guy was very nice and said he had been at it for 10 years. I found he really didn't know that much about it though (even though he thinks he does), he was very accommodating though really had limited knowledge. This board is a much better source of info than the DME. I had decided to go to a different DME if I didn't get the machine I wanted from them for any reason. I was willing to pay the difference if necessary. Lastly, make sure you know what data the machine records, the DME only cares about compliance data. He told me it was no problem if I left the sd card out as the machine would write to the card when it was reinserted. Well that's true for compliance data but not true for the very detailed daily data. My guess is a DME could tell you a machine was fully data capable but that it only collects compliance data... Hope this helps..

Scott
Post Reply Post Reply
The way it worked for me was the more interest and knowledge I showed about my apnea and treatment resulted in a better relationship with the DME RT. Cultivate that relationship. DME"S see so many people who put the machine in the closet after a week they are ususally not keen to spend a lot of time with someone on which it will be wasted. Write down your questions. Make sure you get a data capable machine and have them show you how to access the data. Get help to get a well fitting mask.
To return to my first point, present yourself as someone determined to be compliant and learn all you can about how to optimize your treatment. My DME RT was great because I showed I had studied sleep apnea, used the machine and consulted with him when necessary. The good DME's want you to be successful, but you can imagine how they feel when they know the percentage of machines not used. Make sure they know you are committed and serious about your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
That makes sense, my endocrinologist and dime for my pump got me a great insulin pump... I have yet to meet with my sleep doctor.. I get calls from sleep techs and receptionists..

I will show the DME my resolution and dedication to make this work.

I am the IT administrator for a medium size company and lately I have felt fuzzy and have thought that I was developing attention defecit - i am hoping that getting good sleep will help with that and give me more energy to excercise.

For those that knows diabetes, I have dropped my A1C from 8.5 after using multiple injection therapy to 6.2 using my insulin pump. Having an A1C below 7 means that your diabetes is under control.

Today is a special day for me, it is the second fathers day for me and my family
after having adopted three children. girl 16, boy 9 and his 8 year old sister,if my
motivation to become healthier isn't for myself - it is definitely for them and my wife.

On behalf of my family and myself - thank you for all of your advice!

Any and all advice IS greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definately find out which DMEs are in network for you. There were 3 in my area that were in network so I called all of them and found out which machine they would give me. The one I chose gave me the Resmed S9 autoset which I love.
Like others have posted, do not accept a bottom of the line machine even if you would have to pay a few bucks. It will be worth it!!!!
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm definitely not going to accept the "Plus" - but how important is it to get the "Auto" over the "Pro"?

I understand that it could be "locked" into CPAP instead of APAP (even though I've found out how to reverse that),
and that it could be used to "probe" if a change to treatment would be needed without having to go back to the sleepcenter....

I would like to get the auto - rather than finding out later that I need to "upgrade" and have to pay more
(I have reached my deductible, so instead of paying 100% of insurance companies cost, I now pay 20%),
so "now" would be the time to get the upgrade right away Smile

1.5 hours until I am going to call the rep and find out what she is planning on bringing,
and if I will be getting the machine today or not... (My brother-in-law left sleep lab
and walked into a supplier and got his machine same day - on medicare, It has been
over a month and a half since I had my first sleepstudy, and three weeks since I
had my second WITH a machine)

I wish everyone will have a great week - and that I hope that everyone had a great fathers day! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I just spoke to the rep and she said they don't ever sell the Plus - but rarely sell the Auto.

So I spoke to the sleep center - and he is going to see about getting a rewritten prescription,
based on my many allergies and frequent colds Smile

So "worst case" scenario - It'll be the "Pro" model...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 91 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Need help with air swallowing so I can meet compliance requirements Harmon 3 545 01-16-2023, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Harmon
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Do I still meet the 4 hour a night compliance if my mask leaks? UKwildcatfan 4 1,785 03-18-2017, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Dreamstaton, meet floor. Floor, this is Dreamstation mattmill 14 3,416 06-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Seajayh
  Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration me50 11 4,516 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Peter_C
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,152 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.