Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user - first meet with DME
Question 
New user - first meet with DME
Had my second sleep study performed at a sleep center two weeks ago, woke up after 7.5 hours of GREAT sleep.

Today I got a phone call from the DME selected provider, we are to meet at my workplace (I live WAAAY out there...) , at which point she is supposed to show me the equipment and all...

I would like to ask for advice; she has told me that I'm getting a certain brand machine and that it comes with a heated humidifier but I didn't get much more information than that.

I am thinking of checking with the sleep lab and ask for a copy of the sleep study so I will know what the doctors recommendation and such is...

What is things that you asked or wish that you would have asked/discussed with the rep when you first met?

I'd love to hear your advice - I tend to get "lip-lock" and forget things.. I was fortunate to have a great rep when I got my insulin pump, but my impression is that this CPAP supplier is much more "down to business - lets get it done, so I can get on with life"...

I really appreciate your thoughts/advice Bigwink

(great forum by the way! )
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user - first meet with DME
Find out what machine she plans to bring you and tell us what it is. We need to know the full name of the machine. For example a Philips Respironics System One CPAP Pro, or a ResMed S9 Elite. Do NOT let her bring you a BRICK!

Make sure you a get a fully data capable machine. A brick is a machine that won't record your breathing patterns, the number of apneas, leak rates, and so forth. Without this data you won't be able to determine if your therapy is working, how well it's working, or be able to identify the cause of problems when they occur.

By looking at my data I've been able to have my doctor prescribe several adjustments to my pressure, and I've been able to determine which changes are working for me, and which aren't.

If you accept delivery of a brick it'll be the biggest mistake you can make.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2012, 09:34 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Find out what machine she plans to bring you and tell us what it is. We need to know the full name of the machine. For example a Philips Respironics System One CPAP Pro, or a ResMed S9 Elite. Do NOT let her bring you a BRICK!

Make sure you a get a fully data capable machine. A brick is a machine that won't record your breathing patterns, the number of apneas, leak rates, and so forth. Without this data you won't be able to determine if your therapy is working, how well it's working, or be able to identify the cause of problems when they occur.

By looking at my data I've been able to have my doctor prescribe several adjustments to my pressure, and I've been able to determine which changes are working for me, and which aren't.

If you accept delivery of a brick it'll be the biggest mistake you can make.

I know she said it was a System One and she did say it was a CPAP machine - but that was about it...

Thanks, Sleepster Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2012, 09:38 PM)andersgeorgsson Wrote: I know she said it was a System One and she did say it was a CPAP machine - but that was about it...

Thanks, Sleepster Smile

Find out the model name or number before you meet. It will be something like "Plus, PRO, Auto" or a number like DS150, 250, 450, or 550.

The name will be near the display. It will say something like "REMstar (Plus, Pro, Auto) ...."

Do NOT accept anything with 150,250, or PLUS.

You want the PRO or Auto.

If you accept a brick, it will be the biggest mistake you make in your CPAP career. Do not simply accept what they give you. You probably have the option to find another DME who is in network with your insurance, get a different machine, and pay the same money out of pocket.

Many DMEs will tell you the PLUS records data and will show you the SD memory card, but it only records the time you have it turned on. The PRO or Auto record every single breath you take during the night and keep data on how many apneas you have, along with several other useful bits of data. It's like treating heart disease with an EKG 24/7 vs. checking your pulse manually once a day.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
If its System One you want the Auto or Pro and don,t accept the Plus model as you can tell from the specification link no efficacy data and it only shows compliance data (hours used) and nothing else just to met insurance requirement.
http://respironicsremstars.respironics.com/

IMO Both S9 Autoset/Elite models (Not the Escape models) shows better data on the LCD screen including breakdown of AHI and 95% percentile leak (unintentional leak - mask leak) which is not available on the System One.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions - I will call her first thing monday morning and find out...

Since my insurance is going to pay 80% - Do I really have a choice, if they meet the insurance minimum requirements?

When I got my insulin pump - that's the way it worked, but then again - I was with another insurance company
than what I am today, but I was lucky to get a great model Smile
(It even comes with a thumb-drive looking commmunication device that I use to off-load and upload the data to
the pump manufacturers website, where both I and my doctor can access the information)

I hope y'all had a better nights sleep than me.. I just woke up after 3.5 hours of sleep Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2012, 05:15 AM)andersgeorgsson Wrote: Since my insurance is going to pay 80% - Do I really have a choice, if they meet the insurance minimum requirements?

YES! If your insurance is paying 80% you have the right to go to any durable medical equipment (DME) provider that your insurance company lists as approved providers and get any machine that fills the prescription written by your doctor.

You could probably even buy one from any DME, including those on the web, and get reimbursed by your insurance company. Call your DME and your insurance company and ask them about this.

You may have to play hardball here. Tell your DME that you won't accept delivery of a brick, and that if they try to deliver one to you, you will not accept it. They may try to scare you into getting a machine today because waiting until tomorrow will endager your health. That's baloney. You've been waiting this long, a few more days is not going to matter. If the issue were that time-critical they'd not have let you walk out of your sleep study without a machine in hand.

Quote:I know she said it was a System One and she did say it was a CPAP machine

Philips Respironics System One (PRS1).

For just a few dollars more you could get a APAP. For example, the PRS1 Auto with A-Flex. This machine not only records the data, it makes adjustments to your pressure automatically. Even if the auto feature doesn't adjust the pressure to your liking, you can turn it off and put the machine in CPAP mode. Months later, if you feel an adjustment is needed, you can put it back in APAP mode for a few nights, and see what adjustments it makes. Then put it back in CPAP mode at the new pressure, or leave it in APAP mode so it adjusts your pressure throughout the night as you sleep. When you roll over on your back, for example, it's likely you'll need a higher pressure to keep your airway from collapsing.

The same is true of the ResMed S9 Auto. It's a bit more expensive than the PRS1 but it does have some additional features that you may find makes it easier to view and evaluate the data.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there andersgeorgsson, Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for answers to your questions. As far as the type of machine you wind up getting, I would sure try to get the most features I could in that 80% that your insurance will pay, (Ha-Ha.) Good luck with your DME and your therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2012, 05:15 AM)andersgeorgsson Wrote: Since my insurance is going to pay 80% - Do I really have a choice, if they meet the insurance minimum requirements?
I agree with Sleepster, Yes you have choice. Just tell them what machine you want after all you,re paying the insurance, doctors and DME and they all works for you not the other way around.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2012, 02:47 PM)zonk Wrote:
I agree with Sleepster, Yes you have choice. Just tell them what machine you want after all you,re paying the insurance, doctors and DME and they all works for you not the other way around.

Empowering words.. I think that many times - I'm a push-over. Oh-jeez

I _really_ appreciate everyone's input. I am calling the rep at 8.01am monday... Or is the right way to go? Should I talk to the doctor, the insurance company, DME company - or the provider?

(Dr Lim - Florida Blue - Carecentrix - "Debbie" in that same order)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 92 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Need help with air swallowing so I can meet compliance requirements Harmon 3 547 01-16-2023, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Harmon
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,110 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Do I still meet the 4 hour a night compliance if my mask leaks? UKwildcatfan 4 1,787 03-18-2017, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Dreamstaton, meet floor. Floor, this is Dreamstation mattmill 14 3,418 06-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Seajayh
  Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration me50 11 4,516 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Peter_C
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,159 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.