Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user - first meet with DME
RE: New user - first meet with DME
Yaaaaay!! They called back, and because the doctor had recommended a pressure of 9-10cmH20,
they can give me the Auto - albeit set for CPAP until they get a new RX from the doctor Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
That's awesome! I recommend you keep it in CPAP mode at the pressure they prescribe, which will probably be 10. You're lucky to have a pressure that low. It reduces the likelihood of the typical beginner problems like aerophagia and mouth-leaking.

Once you see how well you tolerate the therapy, and how effective the therapy is, you can discuss with your doctor the option of switching to auto mode.

Congrats You've cleared the most important hurdle!

Now, your next hurdle is going to be the mask. This is a complete trial-and-error process. As a beginner, you may need to change masks a few times. Don't worry, the mask manufacturers, the DME's, and the insurance companies all have policies that allow you to switch masks. There's an overwhelming number of masks out there, so you just have to try some of them to find the one that suits you.

If the DME sets you up with a nasal mask or nasal pillows, I recommend you ask for a chin strap, just in case you need it. I was ok the first two or three nights, but then I kept waking up with air hissing out of my mouth. This type of leak renders the therapy ineffective as your airway is no longer pressurized and can therefore collapse, causing an apnea.

And I almost forgot the most important thing. Stay positive! Think of these "hurdles" not as obstacles, but as stepping stones to success. CPAP therapy will improve the quality of your life, and increase your chances for a longer life without a heart attack or a stroke.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2012, 12:07 PM)andersgeorgsson Wrote: I am the IT administrator for a medium size company and lately I have felt fuzzy and have thought that I was developing attention defecit - i am hoping that getting good sleep will help with that and give me more energy to excercise.

For those that knows diabetes, I have dropped my A1C from 8.5 after using multiple injection therapy to 6.2 using my insulin pump. Having an A1C below 7 means that your diabetes is under control.

Seems we have a lot in common. Maybe the root cause of everything is our jobs! LOL! I am the Admin for a Large Company (Think Global) as well as a Security Analyst (what else can they pile on?). I can empathize with the "Fuzzy brain" syndrome! When you have the entire domain open at your fingertips, you do not want to fall asleep typing! It does get batter with CPAP usage! I too am diabetic, albeit no drugs or insulin. Becoming compliant has really improved my numbers a lot! I just got my bloodwork back a couple weeks ago and I was extremely happy with it! I hope that this has as great an impact on your life as it has on mine. I'm still a little muddle headed, but I'm no spring chicken anymore either! LOL!
Happy belated father's day! Sounds like you've got a nice family there!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2012, 10:11 AM)mjbearit Wrote: Happy belated father's day! Sounds like you've got a nice family there!

Why - Thank you Cool

They just called and confirmed the change of the machine,
as well as the time for the appointment Smile

I don't think I've been this excited about getting home and go to sleep in a while Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2012, 10:11 AM)mjbearit Wrote:
(06-17-2012, 12:07 PM)andersgeorgsson Wrote: I am the IT administrator for a medium size company and lately I have felt fuzzy and have thought that I was developing attention defecit - i am hoping that getting good sleep will help with that and give me more energy to excercise.

Seems we have a lot in common. Maybe the root cause of everything is our jobs! LOL! I am the Admin for a Large Company (Think Global) as well as a Security Analyst (what else can they pile on?). I can empathize with the "Fuzzy brain" syndrome! When you have the entire domain open at your fingertips, you do not want to fall asleep typing! It does get batter with CPAP usage!

I think you're on to something here. Up until recently, I've managed an ISP (for about the last 15 years.) and currently do tech support for another one. IT causes SA!

I know what you mean about the fuzzies. Before CPAP, I had a hard time making it past 10 am in my office, unless I was *really* absorbed in something I was working on. And even then, remembering what I'd been working on the next day was hit or miss... usually miss.

Andersgeorgesson - if you woke up after the study... my god, after 7.5 hours of *sleep* during the study, I think you're already doing better then most of us here. I think for both studies combined I managed about 5 hours sleep *total* - and my second was probably the single worse night of sleep I'd had in years. Conversely, my first night on my bright shiny new S9 Auto was simply amazing. 9.5 hours, and I haven't had one single day since that I've felt fuzzy or nodded off when bored - or in the middle of a sentence, yeah, I was that bad. I see the end of movies again... and remember having watched them, so, yeah, that's better, but its costing me a fortune in dvds now... can't just watch the same one over and over anymore...

Lolabove

Post Reply Post Reply
So here it is... I got the REMstar Auto A-Flex machine (locked to CPAP) - with the System One Heater Humidifer and the "EasyLife" nasal mask!

I can't wait to jump in bed around 10ish and hopefully not wake up until 5.30 when my alarm clock goes off !

Thanks to everyone who helped me get to where I am so far...

The respatory therapist that delivered the machine said that she had NEVER before seen a sleep center/doctor turn a request that quick!

I spoke to her early in the day, called the sleep center and told them that I have severe allergies and that I have gained 25+ LBS that I hope to shed soon (pool season has started for me) - and they got her a new RX quickly!! Smile She also spoke to them and explained that I had mentioned the same things to her.

Sleep-well everyone! Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2012, 06:37 PM)andersgeorgsson Wrote: I can't wait to jump in bed around 10ish and hopefully not wake up until 5.30 when my alarm clock goes off !

Sweet dreams!

Quote:Thanks to everyone who helped me get to where I am so far...

You're welcome. Sleep-well
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Again andersgeorgson, It's great to hear that you are doing so well with your therapy, Congratulations,! on that and your adopted children. It sounds like you have great support from your family which goes a long way to help things as well. and oh, by the way, do sleep well.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2012, 07:43 PM)Sleepster Wrote: You're welcome. Sleep-well

Gosh... I slept so well in the lab... Tonight - I've woken up three times already (this last time was with low blood sugar Sad )

Anyways... Back to bed... Thanks Smile
(06-18-2012, 08:26 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: oh, by the way, do sleep well.

Thanks.... You as well!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2012, 01:02 PM)CHanlon Wrote: I think you're on to something here. Up until recently, I've managed an ISP (for about the last 15 years.) and currently do tech support for another one. IT causes SA!

I'll be able to add more data to this theory next year! I am leaving this career field after 30 years and going into something entirely different. We'll see what happens! Maybe I can donate my brick! LOL!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 91 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Need help with air swallowing so I can meet compliance requirements Harmon 3 545 01-16-2023, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Harmon
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Do I still meet the 4 hour a night compliance if my mask leaks? UKwildcatfan 4 1,785 03-18-2017, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Dreamstaton, meet floor. Floor, this is Dreamstation mattmill 14 3,414 06-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Seajayh
  Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration me50 11 4,516 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Peter_C
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,152 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.