Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Went ahead and bought a BiPAP. Why is it better for UARS?
Went ahead and bought a BiPAP. Why is it better for UARS?
I have UARS and tried a Phillip's Respironics APAP for about a week. I felt some benefit... dreams more vivid and felt a bit more rested. But my main symptom of waking up throughout the night was persistent (usually wake up multiple times). 

I found that my flow limitations still persisted and that even at higher minimum pressures of 14, I still had them.

So I read that BiPAP can be better for UARS and found a cheap used Resmed s9 fixed BIPAP with humifidier. I bought it and am awaiting its arrival. 

Can someone explain why BiPAP is better for UARS than CPAP? My understanding is that the exhale relief is what makes it better for FLs as exhaling becomes easier. Usually I do struggle a bit to exhale against the CPAP pressures tbh.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Went ahead and bought a BiPAP. Why is it better for UARS?
A bilevel machine has separate inhale and exhale pressure settings. The difference between IPAP and EPAP is called pressure support (IPAP-EPAP=PS). With your Dreamstation, you got a single pressure, but with bilevel, the perceived pressure, is much lower when there is a difference or contrast between the inhale and exhale pressure. Pressure support helps to off-load some of the effort of inspiration, form your abdominal and chest muscles used to expand the diaphragm, to the machine's pressure. Then the lower exhale pressure makes it easier to exhale. Pretty simple, but you're about to find out.

With bilevel you can use a lower EPAP pressure and overcome any airway resistance by letting the pressure support do its work, then exhale will feel very easy. EPAP is used to prevent obstructive apnea and can be relatively low. Since you never posted a single chart with your CPAP or even included your pressure settings in your profile, I have nothing more to add on what your settings should be.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2021, 08:52 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: A bilevel machine has separate inhale and exhale pressure settings. The difference between IPAP and EPAP is called pressure support (IPAP-EPAP=PS).  With your Dreamstation, you got a single pressure, but with bilevel, the perceived pressure, is much lower when there is a difference or contrast between the inhale and exhale pressure.  Pressure support helps to off-load some of the effort of inspiration, form your abdominal and chest muscles used to expand the diaphragm, to the machine's pressure. Then the lower exhale pressure makes it easier to exhale. Pretty simple, but you're about to find out.  

With bilevel you can use a lower EPAP pressure and overcome any airway resistance by letting the pressure support do its work, then exhale will feel very easy.  EPAP is used to prevent obstructive apnea and can be relatively low.  Since you never posted a single chart with your CPAP  or even included your pressure settings in your profile, I have nothing more to add on what your settings should be.

I'll post the charts tomorow if I can.

I can tell you what my pressures were though. For the first 2 days, I had at 4 min and 20 max. The 3rd day it was 6 min and 20 max..the 4th day I upped it to 8 min and 20 max. The 5th day I upped to 12 min and 20 max and the 6th day I uppsed to 14 min and 20 max. FLs persisted.
Post Reply Post Reply
We use EPAP to treat OA, and pressure support for flow limits. You want to set EPAP min to what ever pressure resulted in treatment of OA events, then we will just start at PS 4 for the flow limits and go from there. Sounds like you go a S9 VPAP - S machine. If no OA at x.00 pressure, then set IPAP to x.00 + 4.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2021, 09:14 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: We use EPAP to treat OA, and pressure support for flow limits. You want to set EPAP min to what ever pressure resulted in treatment of OA events, then we will just start at PS 4 for the flow limits and go from there.  Sounds like you go a S9 VPAP - S machine. If no OA at x.00 pressure, then set IPAP to x.00 + 4.0.

Going from how I felt anecdotally off the top of my head, I felt better at min pressure 10/11.

I am excited for BiPAP because I DID feel a benefit from APAP, but the EPAP just wasn't good enough at higher pressures for obvious reasons. 

Going by what you've seen from members here, do you think BiPAP usually do a good job at treating FLs in the majority people with UARS ? I really hope it isn't the case that I have to get an ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you get your machine, reset all the user data and settings to default, then set it to VPAP S mode, with EPAP 8.0, IPAP 12.0 and be sure the comfort feature Easybreathe is on. We can go from there. Get a copy of the clinical manual so you understand how to access settings and what is available. https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2021, 09:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: When you get your machine, reset all the user data and settings to default, then set it to VPAP S mode, with EPAP 8.0, IPAP 12.0 and be sure the comfort feature Easybreathe is on.  We can go from there.  Get a copy of the clinical manual so you understand how to access settings and what is available. https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Thanks, I'll be sure to do this. What is easybreathe and the benefit of it?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 933 5 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 155 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 60 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 617 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 79 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.