Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user having a hard time
RE: New user having a hard time
(10-22-2014, 07:17 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Good job Rabbit.. Were you only in bed 5 hours? If so, you really need to go to bed earlier. Otherwise keep working to insure that whenever you're in bed, the machine is connected and running.

About five hours is all I sleep a night it seems .. no cat naps .. during the day .. last night 5 hours and 10 minutes .. about my norm !! my pain wakes me up after a few hours and have never been able to go back to sleep when that happens with out taking some kind of sleeping aid before going to bed and I am leery of doing that with the medication I take and my central/complex sleep apnea ..

My body's internal clock seems to be set on 5 hours, only occasionally do I sleep longer then that. any suggestions on how to extend this time would be greatly appreciated ..

I've tried some natural remedies that didn't make me sleepy or sleep any longer .. am hoping eventually this CPAP usage will allow me to extend my sleep times to closer to 7 to 8 hours !!

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know......... Maybe I could arrange for Zonk to come over and sing soft lullabies to you while you drift off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2014, 11:40 AM)retired_guy Wrote: I don't know......... Maybe I could arrange for Zonk to come over and sing soft lullabies to you while you drift off.

Don't think my GSD would like that I'm afraid ..

seriously though I do use a fan for white noise .. neither me or wife can sleep in a quiet room ..

My sleep habits need to be retrained and hopefully this treatment will help in up doing that! But between my sleep apnea and my working 2d and 3rd shifts all my life .

I've never been sleepy during the day or nodded off watching TV ect .. 5-6 hours is my usual amount of sleep, I admit its usually closer to 6 hours but the machine isn't helping my sleeping . and has shortened that slightly ..

But I'm sticking with it! I'm just one of the ones that it doesn't come easy to ..
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI last night was 2.69 and 2 of the 12 episodes were as I was going to sleep 2 minutes in and the other 90 seconds before I took the mask off .. so below 2.5 taking those into consideration .. non were longer the 28 seconds which is also good as in the beginning they were longer then a minute ..

Actually felt like I had slept last night !!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good on ya for sticking with it Whitewabbit. I drove a over the road semi for 21 yrs, mostly up all day loading, driving all nite and catnaps as I could. Then crash from exhaustion and sleep for 16 hours or so straight. So I know about the trying to reset your sleep patterns.

Its about 11 years since I was disabled and I still have problems getting to sleep before 2 or 3. Average about 7 hrs sleep now with the machine. It was much longer than that before but I felt like dead man when I woke up vs being alert and feeling good with the machine.

I found a couple of tricks to put me in la la land though. Besides the usual no coffee etc at night, if you like turkey a turkey sandwich will put me into doozy land in about half an hour of eating it or just some plain turkey.

It must be that stuff in turkey that makes everybody want to fall asleep after Thanksgiving Dinner. Tripto something or other.

But if I just cant sleep munching some turkey breast will give me the sleepies. Might help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2014, 01:26 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: AHI last night was 2.69 and 2 of the 12 episodes were as I was going to sleep 2 minutes in and the other 90 seconds before I took the mask off .. so below 2.5 taking those into consideration .. non were longer the 28 seconds which is also good as in the beginning they were longer then a minute ..

Actually felt like I had slept last night !!

Fantastic! SO glad to hear this!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Longest I have slept in months at one time was last night .. almost 7 hours .. 6 hours and 47 minutes ..

Had one big leak again last night lasting about 10 minutes but still got the smiley face .. Seem I always have one big leak each night .. and for some reason they last almost exactly 10 minutes .. usually in the middle of my sleep cycle . and most night I don't wake because of it ..

AHI was 2.21 last night with no Centrals and 9 hypopnea events and 6 unclassified apnea events 3 of the events were right when I got up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night one just as I woke and then the other 2 with in 2 minutes of going back to bed .. discounting those my AHI would drop to 1.76 ..

Tonight will be the test as its the day my pain medication patch is changed (every 3 days (72 hours)) and I seem to have a higher AHI due to more events on these nights because of my restlessness due to the meds ..

Think I am starting to feel the therapy . my morning head aches are gone the last few days and think I feel slightly less tired not a jump up and down feeling yet but maybe the feeling that its starting helping ..

been a month since I picked the machine up .. see the doc n Tuesday next week so will see what he hast to say .. first appointment since the sleep studies ..
Post Reply Post Reply
So see my doctor on Tuesday .. my AHI have been in the 2-3 range this past 10 days with 2 days above 5 before that as I am still getting use to everything ..

Post Reply Post Reply
Good job Rabbit...... Keep up the good work!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2014, 10:50 AM)Whitewabit Wrote: Longest I have slept in months at one time was last night .. almost 7 hours .. 6 hours and 47 minutes ..

Had one big leak again last night lasting about 10 minutes but still got the smiley face .. Seem I always have one big leak each night .. and for some reason they last almost exactly 10 minutes .. usually in the middle of my sleep cycle . and most night I don't wake because of it ..

AHI was 2.21 last night with no Centrals and 9 hypopnea events and 6 unclassified apnea events 3 of the events were right when I got up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night one just as I woke and then the other 2 with in 2 minutes of going back to bed .. discounting those my AHI would drop to 1.76 ..

Tonight will be the test as its the day my pain medication patch is changed (every 3 days (72 hours)) and I seem to have a higher AHI due to more events on these nights because of my restlessness due to the meds ..

Think I am starting to feel the therapy . my morning head aches are gone the last few days and think I feel slightly less tired not a jump up and down feeling yet but maybe the feeling that its starting helping ..

been a month since I picked the machine up .. see the doc n Tuesday next week so will see what he hast to say .. first appointment since the sleep studies ..

Fantastic News! Waking up without headaches is great!

As my RT told our class - the damage done to the body by untreated sleep apnea is at the cellular level. The body will respond to the APAP/CPAP treatment and start to repair/replace the cells; so the "feeling energized" may be a bit slow for some, and probably not a linear/straight line of the energy graph.

You are on the right path - SO glad!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 624 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 812 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 190 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.