Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user help please
New user help please
So I have been using a ResMed 10 for about 8 days now. I have been using a N30i nasal mask with absolutely disturbed sleep and a nose that is raw now. I couldn’t do more than 4-5 hours a night with ratings in the high teens as a result of the mask just rubbing my nose raw.

I just switched to a F20 full face mask, just did a test run with it after changing the settings on the machine to reflect a full face mask.

First try, ( I’m not sure of the proper definitions) I was getting water all the way up the tube. I turned on preheat, that seems to help with that.

Then it was like filling up the mask to a point that it felt like it was blowing off of my face. 

Then it felt like it was shutting the flow off and popping the mask.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any and all replies.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user help please
It’s important to route the tube upwards from the machine then down to your face. I use a simple lanyard to tie the middle of the hose and hang it from the headboard or a 3M command hook. Also let us know what your humidity and heated tube settings are at an maybe that will offer a clue. Finally do not overfill the humidity chamber and keep the CPAP below your sleeping height. Welcome to the forum, the journey begins.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the club.   Your post reminded me of when I was just starting out.   I had a full face mask but I'm slide or stomach sleeper, so the polycarbonate dug into my skin.   By morning, it looked like I had been wrestling with an angry cat which my coworkers found amusing. 

Water?   I'll guess you have a humidifier and it's cranked way up.   Turn it down (a lot).   I think mine goes 1-10, but by 3, I'm already in a rainforest during monsoon season.  

Mask, IMHO, this is the hardest thing.   I had a large collection going as I tried different ones until I hit on the cloth dreamweaver masks, and I took to it like a duck to water.   You'll just need to experiment until you find one that you can live with.  

With the nasal, did you try some vasoline?   Not a lot, but enough to prevent skin irritation and form a seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have all set to auto. The humidity and the heat level
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m a mouth breather also. I think that’s why my scores where all over the board! Depending on how many time my mouth will open and exhaust the air.

The second night was the best, number was a 5 felt great that day. Then the nose rubbing began and since then I’ve only been getting about 4-5 hours at the most broken sleep! Numbers bouncing from11 all the way up to 29 last night.

Bad part is it’s required to keep my job (driver) so I feel like something has to give!

Thanks again.

Frank
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started I had 2 nasal masks one a pillow mask and one that went around the whole nose. I changed them any time I had a pain. The bridge of my nose hurt with one and inside of my nose with the other. I did that for several weeks - months until I could use the pillow full time. Not a lot of fun.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

These are the results of the nasal mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
Fwalter, what machine are you using? The Resmed Airsense 10 series has a CPAP, Elite and Autoset models. The name is on the lower front-right of the machine below the control knob. What does yours say?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Auto set
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,110 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,159 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.