Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user - how long for nose to toughen up for pillows?
New user - how long for nose to toughen up for pillows?
I'm newly diagnosed, have been on a trial machine for a week (ResMed S9). I was given three masks to try: pillows, nose only, and full face.

It seems like I have been pretty lucky so far. In my sleep study I had an API of 73 (not a typo), stopped breathing at one point for 2:16, and had almost no REM sleep.

My initial pressure setting is 7. When the person fitting me for masks said to try pillows since they were most comfortable I said I was a mouth breather and so not much point. She said that usually stops with CPAP. She was right, the pillows work fine for me, my API dropped down to about 3, and I had a dream.

I sleep well with the pillows but my nose is a bit sore from the pressing, how long does it take for the nose to toughen up? Weeks, months?

I don't think the mask is over tight, but if my nose does not get comfortable in a bit, I'll consider loosening straps and watch leakage.

I figure I should try a mask that goes over the mouth and have it as a backup for times when my nose is clogged. Is that a common approach?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user - how long for nose to toughen up for pillows?
Sore nose? Loosen the straps! The straps are there to keep the mask in place and NOT to push pillows up your nose.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto GPSMapNut. It will take a few nights to get accustomed to them,don't give up.

I also every night before using the mask I wipe them with unscented,alcohol free Baby Wipes.

Seems to give them a better sticky to the nose.Laugh-a-lot

Coffee

Bompa

Please Take Care, Stay Safe and follow the guidelines to Stay Healthy!  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Wish I could remember the name of the product, maybe someone here can remember it. There is a product that new mothers use to desensitize the ah area where a baby feeds. It is a cream found in the baby area of the drug store. It of course can be used to desensitize anything and this has been known to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
The product is called Lansinoh, it is pure lanolin.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people use Nozoil. Google it.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Straps should not be too tight.

Be sure you are using correct size pillow. Most find that going up one size in pillow helps as it sits better outside the nostril than if too small tends to go in too far.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One size larger is a common fix, as is loosen the straps (or stretch them if P10). Also important is hygiene - clean your nose well, use saline/xylitol sprays before bed time, oil or another spraying in the morning, wash the pillows after every use.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2016, 01:02 PM)pumpkln Wrote: The product is called Lansinoh, it is pure lanolin.

Just out of curiosity,would that not make the pillows slippery and have them move around and cause a leak?

CoffeeThinking-about
Please Take Care, Stay Safe and follow the guidelines to Stay Healthy!  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I had two kinds of soreness when I first started with nasal pillows. One kind was from skin irritation and the other was from pressure on my upper lip, gum, and nose.
Skin irritation: just before putting on the mask, I used zinc oxide ointment for a minor sore that developed just inside my nostril. That sore cleared up in a few days. The ointment washes off the mask each morning with a bit of soap and rubbing. I also developed slight skin irritation around my nostrils - I guess from a small amount of shifting of the mask during the night. As mentioned in other replies a small amount of lanolin helps with that. I used the lanolin mainly as a lubricant to prevent irritation while wearing the mask. After a few weeks my skin toughened up so I no longer have sores or irritation and no longer need the ointments.

Pressure soreness: contrary to other replies, I got relief by switching to a smaller mask; from large to medium. I started with the large mask because of its greater, more comfortable, air flow. But over the course of a month or two I noticed an increasing numbness of my lip and gum and a feeling like my nose was pushed up throughout most of the morning. Loosening the mask didn't help - it was as loose at the Airfit P10 strap would go, even when using a chin strap to help ease the tension of the mask strap. (My CPAP pressure is only 6.6). So out of desperation I tried the medium mask. In a short time I got used to the slightly lower air flow (and increased noise) and the numbness and squished nose sensations are gone.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,761 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.