Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user - how long for nose to toughen up for pillows?
RE: New user - how long for nose to toughen up for pillows?
(03-08-2016, 02:45 PM)DariaVader Wrote: One size larger is a common fix, as is loosen the straps (or stretch them if P10). Also important is hygiene - clean your nose well, use saline/xylitol sprays before bed time, oil or another spraying in the morning, wash the pillows after every use.

When I started using my Nuance Pro I started with the medium pillow, which sealed well. I tried the large pillow next but it kept obstructing my nostrils. My AHI increased a great deal due to a large increase of obstructive events caused by the obstructions. I switched back to the medium pillow and haven't looked back. I agree that good hygiene goes a long way in being successful with nasal pillows.

(03-08-2016, 05:11 PM)Bompa Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 01:02 PM)pumpkln Wrote: The product is called Lansinoh, it is pure lanolin.

Just out of curiosity,would that not make the pillows slippery and have them move around and cause a leak?

CoffeeThinking-about

It will if you use too much. Slippage can be avoided by just putting the lanolin on the sore spot. I have found the smallest amount I can get out of the tube will treat both nostrils when they become sore. I also have a FFM to use if I need relief from the nasal pillow for a couple of nights.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to try an AirFit P10. Not perfect, but it beats any other mask I've tried. No adjustments, the straps stretch to the correct tension for most people.

Just a suggestion.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Robert Moulton,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
HPA Lanolin is good to toughen up your nose for pillows.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I got the Dreamwear mask and developed a sore where the middle of my nose meets my upper lip. Using vaseline solved this problem and I imagine that lanolin will do the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also really liked the feel and fit of the pillows (P10) and went from small to medium because of the perceived reduced airflow of the small. The upper inside portion of both nostrils was irritated when I started using the pillows, and that was disappointing as I really had good numbers with them. On the suggestions of these forums, I tried the Lanolin (just a very small bead will treat the inside of both nostrils), and that really helped. Now after 5 months, I hardly even notice the pillows are in.
Hang in there!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2016, 05:11 PM)Bompa Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 01:02 PM)pumpkln Wrote: The product is called Lansinoh, it is pure lanolin.

Just out of curiosity,would that not make the pillows slippery and have them move around and cause a leak?

CoffeeThinking-about

i use the lanolin every night. interestingly, it is actually slightly sticky so it aids in getting the pillows in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been cpaping since May and still have trouble with nose pillows although my leak rate is so low, I don't give up on them. What I do is give my nose a rest break each week by using another mask. I like the Circadian masks for that. They are louder though, but my leak rate is generally pretty low (not as low as the nose pillows). So, 5 days on nose pillows, 2 days on Circadian nose mask.

The new Dreamwear mask won't hurt your nose at all. It worked the first 2 nights, aater that, I had high leaks as though something stretched out and won't go back. I'm going to try it again, but realize that this is not everybody's experience. My nose tends to be between sizes, so that may be what is at issue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.