Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user, new diagnosis
RE: New user, new diagnosis
(04-17-2017, 06:01 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you are working with a DME, tell them you have a problem with the mask, otherwise I like to say "resistance is futile", go get a Resmed Airfit P10 pillows mask ($68 on Amazon) and leaks are a thing of the past.

Got my worst leaks ever with a P10. It works for many but not for everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2017, 08:41 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: All masks are vented to expel CO2. On some Resmed masks the vent is in the form of a collar around the elbow connection at the front of the mask. It appears to be a leak but is a required part of the system. This "leak" must not be plugged with teflon or otherwise.

+2.  Do not plug the vent holes with tape or anything else!  You'll be rebreathing your own CO2 otherwise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Removed the teflon tape.

Woke up at 4ish again. This time, rather than try to get back to sleep and end up worrying about how my "I'm awake" breathing would look on the chart, I took the mask off and turned off the unit.

http://imgur.com/a/FBuS5
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm seeing quite a few Centrals though I wouldn't say your numbers are horrible or anything. Still room for improvement.

In the leaks it looks to me like there is some air escaping out of your mouth. I might be wrong about that but do you wake up with a dry mouth? Are you using a chin strap of some kind?

My thoughts would be to try decreasing the pressure somewhat...to say 7. But wait and see what the more experienced folks here will say to confirm before you make any changes!

By the way, you did the right thing in removing the mask instead of struggling for hours with it to get back to sleep. It's actually counter productive to keep the mask on if you can't get back to sleep after a long while, say after 30-45 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't wake up with a dry mouth but I'm not waking up anywhere near where the blocks of CA events are, could be that I'm re-closing my mouth>
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are doing great on the leakage, now.  unless it bothers you or your wife.

"I plugged some of my vent holes, but I don't recall what happened!?!" <- kidding.  you already heard why that isn't a good idea.

Noise of vented air - I tried a neat thing that reduced this on nights it did bother me.  I attached a handkerchief in straps above and below the mask as a drape.  it did not restrict the airflow, just jumbled it up in the drape.  I ended up covering my eyes, but there was nothing to see anyway, too busy snoozing.

when I look at your CA events, they do look like your sleep brain was just patiently waiting for your lungs to use all the extra oxygen you've been getting.  It may correlate with a time such as REM sleep when autonolgf.. (sleep reflexes) somewhat reduce.  my guess is that the CA will trail off as all the body parts get used to real sleep again.

we did notice a few more OA at the reduced pressures, but you are all around looking good.

oh, by the way, I did LOL when I read that alcohol consumption was probably not relevant.Too-funny 

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
That would have been a great night's sleep if not for the leg cramp that woke me about 0415.

http://imgur.com/a/DB8Uj
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah, baby!

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
I think this pretty well confirms the CPAP pressure at 7.5 for now, and the interpretation of your centrals and complex apnea last page by DeepBreathing. Thanks for trying out the fixed pressure, and it looks to be paying off.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2017, 06:43 PM)derekf Wrote: That would have been a great night's sleep if not for the leg cramp that woke me about 0415.

http://imgur.com/a/DB8Uj

Discuss  that with your healthcare provider if there isn't an obvious cause for the leg cramps. They can be a sign of certain mineral deficiencies, among other things.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 184 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 728 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 251 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,430 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 346 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.