Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user of Resmed S9 query
New user of Resmed S9 query
Hi

Can anyone please explain what I may be doing wrong with my CPAP machine.
It is winter where I live and I have turned the humidifier temperature down as I was getting a lot of condensation in my mask. Is this normal? What should I do. I am not getting a good nights sleep now due to the condensation.

Any response would be appreciated.

Cheers
MhunterThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user of Resmed S9 query
Welcome Mhunter, can you add the model type of the Resmed S9 you are using in the machine profile, it is next to the power button on the CPAP. Are you using a heated hose? Is it coloured or clear? If it is you may need a cover or keep the hose under your blanket. If it is heated, you shouldn't get too much condensation.
What temperature do you have it set at? I live in Australia and have mine at set 22c or 23c.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mhunter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you are using the standard (not the heated,) hose,)You could make a hose cover by taking some old socks, cutting the toes out of them and sewing them together to make a tube. Take either a velcro strap to hold it in place at each end of the hose or you could put a rubber band around the outside of the hose cover to hold it in place at each end. If you have the heated hose, you probably wouldn't need the hose cover. Hope this helps.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 05:50 PM)Mhunter Wrote: It is winter where I live and I have turned the humidifier temperature down as I was getting a lot of condensation in my mask. Is this normal?

The air in your bedroom is cold, the air inside your hose is warm and moist, so you get condensation, or rain out. Turning the humidifier down is the right thing to do, but there are better solutions. You can increase the temperature in your bedroom, insulate the hose, or get a heated hose.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, you're getting it in your mask or in your hose? If in your mask, there's a few things you can try. You can start with warming up the bedroom. You could also try to make a cover for the mask BUT leave a good hole for the vent!!!

I have the same problem in the winter. I solved it for the most part by sleeping with my head under the covers. Sometimes I get too hot though and toss off the cover. I wake up with water spouting out the vent hole.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
One other thing that I have found with condensation in the mask. I switched from an F&P Zest nasal mask to a Resmed Mirage Quattro to reduce my leaks. A byproduct is that I get less condensation inside the Mirage Quattro mask. I believe that the clear plastic in the Mirage Quattro is a little different or maybe just a little thicker and so stays a little warmer inside the mask. The Padacheek mask liner might help since it wraps around the outside of the mask. Of course all of the other suggestions that you have gotten will help too.

I have never gotten to the point where I had water spouting out the vent holes but I used to have water dripping right down into my nose. It felt like the mask was trying to drown me although it did keep the inside of my nose "moistened".

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The auto humidity function may be turned on. If your room is below 60F, the condensation may be your exhaled humidity. If the tube is over 2 meters, or tube get's cold, more likely to get condensation. A cover for the tube may help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster's advice is right on target:

1) insulate the hose (make or buy a hose cover)
2) get the climateline heated hose (this is a really good solution and not terribly expensive)
3) increase the temperature in your room

A couple of other possibilities:

4) make sure the machine is below the level of your head
5) make sure you have not filled the water reservoir above the maximum fill line
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 620 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela
  new resmed user - question about Myair and airview wooders 4 1,045 08-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  New user, want to get data from Resmed p10 ksomauroo 1 351 04-19-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Resmed Autoset 10 User - OSCAR & Settings Can80an 3 666 02-08-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Melman
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.