Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user problem
New user problem
I am only 3 weeks into using a BiPAP machine and I am perplexed. I am being awakened after about 3 hours by not being able to get enough air through the mask (an Easy Life nasal). It feels like the machine is throttling back and I have to consciously breathe in to get any air. I thought it was the machine and had it replaced after a week, and last night was the first on my third one and it does the same thing. Even my afternoon naps end up the same. After 2 ½ or 3 hours I am wakened by not getting enough air. Anybody have any insight on this?

Thanks
Clint
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user problem
Hi Clint KY,
First, WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question but hang in there and someone will be able to help you, soon. Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Get fitted for a new mask ASAP! Avoid restricting oxygen!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2012, 09:24 AM)Ribman Wrote: Get fitted for a new mask ASAP! Avoid restricting oxygen!
I don't believe it is the mask causing the problem. When I first put it on and turn on the machine it is fine. If does not leak, is not too tight and I am able to go to sleep without any difficulties. The problem starts after I have been asleep for 2 to 3 hours. The 'force' of the air seems much less even though the machine is still showing 13" & 9" on inhale and exhale.

Clint
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Get fitted for a new mask ASAP! Avoid restricting oxygen!

This is not a mask issue. If it were, he would be experiencing it much earlier.

Clint, try an experiment the next time you have a day off or 2-3 hrs free. Put on the mask, turn on the machine, and wear it. At the 2-3 or so hour mark it usually does it, see if it does it again.

Have you tried to remove the mask, breathe for a few breaths, then put it back on? If so, does the lack of air feeling continue?

Have you also tried to turn off the machine, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on again?

And, lastly, do you use the ramp feature?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2012, 11:30 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: This is not a mask issue. If it were, he would be experiencing it much earlier.

Thank you for that confirmation.

(10-18-2012, 11:30 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Clint, try an experiment the next time you have a day off or 2-3 hrs free. Put on the mask, turn on the machine, and wear it. At the 2-3 or so hour mark it usually does it, see if it does it again.

I wear the mask when I take a nap, usually daily (I am retired) and the same thing happens at the same interval of 2 to 3 hours.

(10-18-2012, 11:30 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Have you tried to remove the mask, breathe for a few breaths, then put it back on? If so, does the lack of air feeling continue?

No, but I will.

(10-18-2012, 11:30 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Have you also tried to turn off the machine, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on again?

I did this when it first happened and it did not make a difference. I had hoped that the machine would reset and start back as it did when I first went to bed, but it didn't.

(10-18-2012, 11:30 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: And, lastly, do you use the ramp feature?

No - I assumed that the Ramp button would reduce the output and I felt I needed to increase the output.

I am not sure the problem is not a lack of oxygen and my body wanting more air to compensate. I will try the "take the mask off for a while" trick tonight and see if that works. Hopefully I can get back to sleep after it happens.

Thanks,
Clint

Post Reply Post Reply
Clint, do you have the Bi-Flex feature turned on? I think the factory default is a Bi-Flex setting of 2. It can be set higher to 3, lower to 1, or turned off altogether.

All this feature is supposed to do is reduce the pressure when you exhale (even further than the reduction you get on a BiPAP when switch from inhale to exhale). It also attempts to modify the shape of the pressure curve, so if you are inhaling very very slowly it will interpret that as an exhale (go figure) and drop the pressure.

Try turning the Bi-Flex feature off. I have the older model 750 but if yours is like mine you'll need to get into the clinician's manual to make the change.

Edit: Correction. I have the older model 650P.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Clint KY, I am truly puzzled. It is not uncommon for a new user to feel they are not getting enough air, but your pressures are high enough that I wouldn't expect that to be the problem.. How are you feeling during the day? Can you check your AHI? I think it's time for a doctors input now. Good luck, keep us posted. Thanks for answering questions put to you. That's the only way anyone can help you.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
Now try the mask while awake. If the same thing happens, then it is not something in your sleep that you do nightly (or nap-ly). Like reach REM sleep that far in or whatever.

If this machine is data capable, it would be interesting for you to see the data and see just what is happening prior to you waking up.

And, like Zimlich says, might be time to talk to the doc.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2012, 02:50 PM)zimlich Wrote: How are you feeling during the day?

Actually much better than before getting the machine.

(10-18-2012, 02:50 PM)zimlich Wrote: Can you check your AHI?

1 Day: 2.5
7 Day: 3.2
That is since Tuesday (two days ago) as the tech took the data off the card when I got the new machine.
I know the number reflects how well I sleep but do not know the significance of value.

(10-18-2012, 02:50 PM)zimlich Wrote: I think it's time for a doctors input now.

I have a call for an appointment with my Repertory Therapist at Holland Medical now. I am hoping it does not take a trip to my Sleep Doctor as I can not understand a word he says.

Clint

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,259 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,399 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 305 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 537 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 374 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 218 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 19 4,329 01-26-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: JoeP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.