Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user problem
RE: New user problem
Almost always, when the card goes back into the machine, the machine rewrites the data back onto the card.

Unfortunately, Respironics' 60 models do not work with SleepyHead. One of the Encore software is what you would have to use if you are interested in viewing the data and keeping track of it yourself.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2012, 04:24 PM)Clint KY Wrote: 1 Day: 2.5
7 Day: 3.2
That is since Tuesday (two days ago) as the tech took the data off the card when I got the new machine.
I know the number reflects how well I sleep but do not know the significance of value.

An AHI of 2.5 means you're experiencing, on average, 2.5 events per hour. Each event is either an apnea or a hypopnea. An apnea is when you stop breathing for at least 10 seconds. A hypopnea is similar except the breathing is just reduced instead of stopped altogether.

An AHI of 5-15 is considered mild, 15-30 moderate, and over 30 severe.

Therefore we consider any AHI under 5 to be good. 2.5 is excellent, especially for a beginner. The AHI tends to drop as our bodies adapt to the therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2012, 08:02 AM)Clint KY Wrote: I am only 3 weeks into using a BiPAP machine and I am perplexed. I am being awakened after about 3 hours by not being able to get enough air through the mask (an Easy Life nasal). It feels like the machine is throttling back and I have to consciously breathe in to get any air. I thought it was the machine and had it replaced after a week, and last night was the first on my third one and it does the same thing. Even my afternoon naps end up the same. After 2 ½ or 3 hours I am wakened by not getting enough air. Anybody have any insight on this?

Thanks
Clint

What you're describing is the classical symptom of having the lower auto pressure set too low. (Technically called "minimum EPAP" on your machine.)

That's an auto machine. It watches your breathing and adjusts the pressure up when it sees poor breathing and down when you breathe well.

The doctor specifies a range of pressures it's allowed to operate within.

As your sleep stage changes, your pressure needs change. Sometimes you breathe fine on your own and the auto machine lowers the pressure the way it's designed to. Then when you drift into deeper sleep, you start having apnea again. You have to breathe poorly for a while before the machine adjusts back up to the pressure you need.

Once you've gotten used to not having apnea, your mind objects when you start having apnea again when the pressure is too low.

Some doctors seem to think they can just set the pressure to the maximum range and the machine will figure it out. This can cause problems because the machine will start out at too low of a pressure and it takes a while for it to adjust up to the correct pressure. With the PRS1 machine you have, it could be several minutes before it gets to the right pressure.

The next time this happens, don't turn the machine off. Look on the display and see what pressures you're getting. It should show you two pressures, one when you inhale, and a lower number when you exhale.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Clint
First I would make sure you are not mouth breathing or leaking which can lower pressure. Then hook up a pressure gage or manometer to the mask or connection into the tube at the mask. Make sure that nothing is obstructing your exhilation port. When you are having problems watch the pressure gage and check the pressure when you inhale and when you exhale. CPAP suppliers have gages for sale. You can look at your manual that comes with the mask and it will tell you what the intentional leak is for your pressures that you measure. If the pressures hold up to set pressures and flow thru the exhilation port is not obstructed flow is adequate and the problem is not with the machine. Your set pressure could be to low. If the gage shows low pressure the machine electronics and sensors could be a problem.
GeneS

(10-18-2012, 08:02 AM)Clint KY Wrote: I am only 3 weeks into using a BiPAP machine and I am perplexed. I am being awakened after about 3 hours by not being able to get enough air through the mask (an Easy Life nasal). It feels like the machine is throttling back and I have to consciously breathe in to get any air. I thought it was the machine and had it replaced after a week, and last night was the first on my third one and it does the same thing. Even my afternoon naps end up the same. After 2 ½ or 3 hours I am wakened by not getting enough air. Anybody have any insight on this?

Thanks
Clint

Post Reply Post Reply
I finally got a return call from my Therapist and she is going to call the Doctor's office and talk to the Sleep therapist there and do a re-evaluation of my sleep studies and see what they can figure out. I sure hope they do as I really think the machine is making a difference and I really want it to work out.
-----
Clint
Far West Kentucky
Post Reply Post Reply
Please let us know what they find out or what they do. Learning as you go along will help you and us assist others.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Clint, your AHI is excellent- it should be under five. The number is the average of all the apneas and hypopneas you had duing the night.
It's good to know, but not really of signicance here. Good luck with Respiratory- they often know more than the doctors. It you are unhappy with your doctor you can change. It's a little bit of a bother.
Post Reply Post Reply

Only one. I said last night was my first night on a machine that was borrowed from the store. It started fine and then it was acting weird, vibrating, making noise and I just wasn't getting air. I spent a lot of time examining and pondering what was wrong with the mask.
Then I disconnected it. The problem remained. So my next stop on the trip of investigation was: the hose. Apparently somehow the hose filled with water and where it was at its lowest point the water accumulated. I'm still not sure how it got there. I thought I only filled the humidifier to the fill line. I'll check it out tonight to see if I have the same problem. But once I emptied the hose everything worked fine and I managed to get to sleep. Your problem may be way different but that's what happened to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Either the machine tipped and water went into the hose or you had it on long enough to cause rainout.

I once tipped mine too far with a full humidifier tub, and it stopped blowing air. As I was messing with the hose to find out what it was, the bubble of water got close enough to the end, it practically exploded out. Funny later but not at that moment.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,255 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,387 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 304 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 536 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 374 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 218 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 19 4,319 01-26-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: JoeP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.