Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user problems
Worried about nose damage
Hi Guys,
Diagnosed with sleep apnea 54AHI.
Was give a machine to take home and use without a humidifier,the weather was really cold I did ask for one was told I have to try it without first.
Used it two weeks ago for five hours first night and only 2 hours next night,the air was so cold.
Went out for walk next day and as air hit my nose it was like ice,my nose has totally dried out a doctor has given me antibiotic cream for nose.
My upper teeth are hurting from referred pain now,it was 2 weeks ago,signed off work for next three.....feel really down and sore little improvement in pain has anyone got this dry have long does it take to cure and go away.
The hospital have now said I can have humidifier and heated pipe but too scared to go near it for sure and feel like just taking chances with severe apnea as can’t lose my job through being in pain.
Anything that gives me some confidence otherwise I think it may go back to the hospital and my nose and teeth hopefully get better Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Worried about nose damage
As there are many who prefer to not use the humidifier, it is built-in with the AirSense Cpap. It is ridiculous that you were told to try without. Like I said, it is built-in, so you can use it or not.

Definitely use the humidifier if your nose is sore. The heated hose along with some humidity would be more comfortable.

As far as sore teeth, that sounds like a poor fitting mask. It could be strapped down too tight and pressing on your teeth.

Order a Clinicians manual for your machine. The link is at top of page.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Opal Rose, I think the teeth pain is because I’ve inflamed my sinuses as the mask actually felt ok.
I’m of quite a worried disposition so concerned about how long this pain will carry on,still hard to breath normal air through nose at moment Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed 10 series humidifier is there even on yours. It may have a blocker plate instead of a water tub. Dry nose cause is probably humidity too low.

Pain in teeth maybe is connected to high mask strap tension. Do not make any mask so tight it's uncomfortable or painful.

Go claim your heated hose and humidifier tub. I'd also say get our free report tool called OSCAR. With an SD card in your PAP it'll capture a lot of data. You can attach screenshots here for us to be clued in and can suggest changes.

It's your choice to use or not use the PAP. However there's real health consequences for allowing Apnea to continue to steal health and sleep.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe my main advantage from using CPAP is the moisture the humidifier provides. Without it my nose gets crusty, I get inflammation and swelling and am more prone to nose bleeds. With it I can't even remember the last time I had a nose bleed.

As mentioned it was stupid for the doctor to start you without a humidifier. There is a reason the humidifier is used by default and its settings can be increased or decreased depending on your preferences/comfort.

Give it a go, the moisture will probably help nose heal. With an AHI of 54 you would be crazy not to give CPAP a fair trial.
Post Reply Post Reply
And use the heated tube too. It's awesome.
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier and heated hose have been very therapeutic for me.  My nasal passages and sinuses are in the best shape ever.  This has been one of the best aspects of my PAP therapy.  Best  wishes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2021, 07:38 PM)Shadowpup Wrote: The humidifier and heated hose have been very therapeutic for me.  My nasal passages and sinuses are in the best shape ever.  This has been one of the best aspects of my PAP therapy.  Best  wishes.

The same, I discovered I could breath through my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
No one can give you a guarantee, but as you're hearing, your nose will probably do a lot better with warmth and humidity. Just how much you'll have to figure out by trying different settings.

You can also get a fleece cover for your hose, which helps to keep the air comfortably warm.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2021, 09:09 PM)Dormeo Wrote: No one can give you a guarantee, but as you're hearing, your nose will probably do a lot better with warmth and humidity.  Just how much you'll have to figure out by trying different settings.

You can also get a fleece cover for your hose, which helps to keep the air comfortably warm.

For UK I mean heated hose is an obligation. Of course depend of some parameter like the temp in the house but after reading his trouble I mean it's the first setup to do. Personnaly without the hose at 30C my nose feel like burning after 30min of cpap. Leave in alps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,005 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,839 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,565 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 996 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 461 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.