Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user question
New user question
I am very new to using my CPAP machine and just had a question about some general functionality. My understanding is that when you stop breathing during the night the machine senses that and prompts you to take breath. I was fooling around with my new machine last night and I would Breathe In and hold my breath just to see what would happen. Nothing happened. Finally after maybe 45 seconds or a minute I exhaled and breathed in again and held my breath and still no prompting from the CPAP. And I missing something? I got about 30 seconds of instruction from the home medical supply place so that's why I Googled some information and came across this website
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user question
This depends on the type of machine and the settings. What is your exact machine model? Do you know what your pressure or range of pressures is? Is it in APAP or CPAP mode?

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

Your profile shows CPAP mode so you will get a constant pressure all night.  This pressure needs to be set to a value that will prevent obstructive events.
APAP mode your machine will increase pressure AFTER obstructive events and will ignore CA events.

Advanced machines (BiLevel/BiPap) will perform differently depending on model and mode set.

Read the articles in my sig for good general information.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like your on a cpap at 15 cmH2O. cpap stands for "continuous positive airway pressure." The pressure you are breathing against is constant and does not change between inhalation or exhalation. The machine does not kick in and deliver a breath. It is not a ventilator.

As far as "stop breathing" during the night...you probably have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea(OSA). With OSA you don't necessarily "stop breathing" what stops, or is diminished is air flow. your body still tries to breathe, but the airway is obstructing the air flow to your lungs. When you fall asleep there is a lot of soft tissue, muscles...etc. that relax and fall down into the airway, thus causing the blockage in airflow.

While breathing with the cpap, the pressure you are breathing against keeps everything in its place when you fall asleep. Thus keeping your airway open. Now, after you fall asleep, your airway stays open and the normal body function of breathing will supply the proper amount of air to your lungs. So you don't really "stop breathing." *Central sleep apnea is another story....*

15 cmH2O is a lot of pressure. Use the ramp feature, (green triangle button next to the on/off button), this will drop the initial pressure for a while so you can ease yourself into the 15 cmH2O.

Hope I didn't confuse your further...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rsxlvr,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rsxlvr and welcome to the forum, stick with it and you will soon start getting answers and feeling more confident.
Go ahead and download SleepyHead and get some data posted as soon as you can. That will allow forum members to start giving you input. The links shown below will help you get started with SleepyHead. Keep us posted.

Regards,

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 317 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  new resmed user - question about Myair and airview wooders 4 1,089 08-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  New User - CO2 Vent Question JohnHornbuckle 5 1,279 04-02-2022, 10:40 AM
Last Post: JohnHornbuckle
Question [Pressure] New xPAP user - Question about Centrals on OSCAR AeroM 41 3,774 02-21-2022, 11:31 PM
Last Post: AeroM
  New Resmed user question and recommendations on settings xamax 5 904 09-13-2021, 02:53 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New CPAP user here with a question about my elbow sweetnothings 12 1,653 08-15-2021, 10:30 PM
Last Post: sweetnothings
  New user with question Doublereeder2 9 991 06-06-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Doublereeder2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.