Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user, snoring and other issues
New user, snoring and other issues
Hi all, I'm new to this site, but I've been using a CPAP for years.  I'm trying to eliminate my snoring, as it's an issue for my wife's sleep and I think I would likely benefit as well.

Brief background info and what I've done/tried so far:
- Due to repeated delays from COVID as well as a move, I've been unable to get in to see my new PCM.  Sleep doc is requiring a referral from the PCM, so I'm SOL until December.

- Above caused me to search out this site, as I was trying to figure out how to check/change the settings on my CPAP, as I have suspected that the settings were incorrect or insufficient after I switched to a new machine a little while ago (S9 to DreamStation).

- New CPAP was set to auto with min 4.0 and max 20.0.  I immediately changed the minimum to 7.0 (the pressure recommended in my initial sleep study), and noticed an immediate benefit.

- Stayed at min 7.0 for half a week, but wife still reported snoring, though improved.  AHI was at like 3.5, improved from around 5 if I recall correctly.  Checked the CPAP stats and saw that the 90% was closer to 10.0, so I increased the minimum to 9.0.  Again, seemed to be an immediate improvement in sleep quality.  Wife says I'm still snoring, but not as bad.  Still an issue, however.  My AHI has declined to around 1.5-2.0.

At this point my next move was going to be going to 10.0 min pressure, but I'm wondering if there are other settings I should be checking as well.  My old S9 was a constant pressure at 7.0, but the new machine has all the variable pressure and auto settings turned on (though I disabled the ramp immediately as I don't like it).  It might sound odd, but I also sort of miss the back pressure from the constant pressure that is gone with the new variable setting.

I'm not at home, so I don't have access to the data I know everyone is going to ask for, but I will add it when I can.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user, snoring and other issues
Welcome to the forum and yes data please.

The only tool you have with a PR machine is more pressure, so gradually increase min pressure. As a result your pressures will be higher than with a ResMed. OR machines need a higher pressure to be able stop future events because the algorithm is much slower response.

The S9 has a feature called EPR which is effective against snores.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user, snoring and other issues
(10-19-2020, 10:03 PM)bonjour Wrote: Welcome to the forum and yes data please.

The only tool you have with a PR machine is more pressure, so gradually increase min pressure. As a result your pressures will be higher than with a ResMed. OR machines need a higher pressure to be able stop future events because the algorithm is much slower response.

The S9 has a feature called EPR which is effective against snores.

I increased my min pressure to 10.0 and lowered my FLEX to 1.  Wife said that she didn't notice any snoring last night, but described it as "heavy breathing" instead.  I don't recall waking up on my back at any time, so it's possible that I stayed on my side all night, which typically minimizes the snoring.  Machine reported AHI at 1.4 but mask fit/leak was in the mid 50%.  I have a beard with a full mask so leaks are always an issue.  Going to leave settings as-is for the rest of the week.

My home computer doesn't have a memory card reader, so data will have to wait another day or two.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 225 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 55 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 93 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 114 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,505 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 159 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 220 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.