Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user with Resmed S9 - how to start?
New user with Resmed S9 - how to start?
Hi Folks,

I bought a secondhand Resmed S9 + Respironics DreamWear Full Face mask. I have the manual for the Resmed.

I've tried it during the day, just sitting down. I set min pressure to 4 and max to 8, and used SmartSet and EPR.

Currently, it pushes so much air that my ears clog up, as if on a plane.

What settings can folks suggest to start with? I have an SD card in it, for later data review.

Thanks,

NightOwl

(Background on me)

• Male, age 42.
  • Physically fit, low body fat.
  • Blood pressure on the low side.
  • Have deviated septum, but not severe.
  • Have IBS, symptoms of which interfere with sleep (mainly pain/discomfort keeps me from falling asleep).
  • Wake at least once per night to pee, then remain awake for 30-60 minutes. Sometimes wake multiple times.
  • When I wake after 6, 7, or 8 hrs in bed, I feel the heavy weight of fatigue and just want to sleep more, but have trouble returning to sleep.
  • Regular daytime fatigue, can easily lie down for a nap and fall asleep during day or eve. Scored a 6 on the Epworth scale, which I understand is not very high.

I use blackout curtains, eye mask, earplugs. Home and neighborhood are very quiet.

I've not done a sleep study due to cost (high deductible insurance plan, opaque pricing).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user with Resmed S9 - how to start?
Nightowl which S9 machine did you get. It should be right above the start/stop button. We need to know this before we will know how to start. From you last thread I am glad you got a machine.

Gerry
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of us feel ait starved at 4 settings. It starts giong away about 6 or so. If you are usiing the epr depending on settings you might fell it shortly . What I mean is if you use 2 epr and you use 6 it drops to 4 for you exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gerry,

Sorry - Resmed S9 Autoset w/humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those settings are as good a place as any to start. Use it for a couple of days than post using sleepyhead charts. Sleepyhead is available on the link below.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
@Walla Walla:

Except those settings are very uncomfortable, as I've said - they plug up my ears right away.

Better to set a long ramp, so I don't get air until I'm asleep?

Ben
Post Reply Post Reply
nightowl
the ramp setting is a comfort setting. Set it for a long time if that helps you fall asleep.

Gerry
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the machine w/a 45 minute ramp. I still find it kind of hard to breathe with it on, and though I fall asleep eventually, when I wake up after one or more hours, it's uncomfortable and I remove it.

I'm thinking of trying a nose mask instead of full face, could that help?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your settings are actually quite low. Mine, for example, are 9-14. Please download sleepyhead and post some data so we can see what's going on. (See links below) It will also help if you fill out your profile with make and model of machine, mask, pressure settings, etc. I hope we can be of help to you.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You've been given great advice thus far. I had similar feelings and reactions to CPAP when I started. I'm not sure of your AHI, but mine was very high (70+) so I kept using it as much as I could. I did require a change to BPAP for better exhale relief. Later I had to move on to ASV for central apnea treatment.

Having a hose and mask on while the machine pumps pressurized air down your throat isn't "normal" and it will take time to adjust. But adjust it will do.

Best to success Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 470 2 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 189 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,281 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,190 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 621 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 503 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Should I start CPAP? brianstermat09 3 515 08-24-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.