Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user with questions
New user with questions
I'd email my Dr, but the Kaiser site appears to be down (!)

Resmed S9 with humidifier.

This was my first night on, I've been on o2 facemasks long term before, so no issues with claustrophobia.

I kept feeling like I was almost suffocating, I assume this was because it was harder than normal to get the CO2 expelled. After about 6 hours, I finally got to sleep. Is this "i need to breathe more" feeling normal?

My lungs feel bad sore today, and that started last night after about an hour on the machine.

I'm hoping all this will settle down.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user with questions
Hi.

You don't mention which model of S9 you have, but if you have one that supports EPR, make sure you turn it on at the maximum level. Also, the RAMP feature is gonna keep the pressure at a lower level until you fall asleep. Make sure you use this, at least for the first sessions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dbvanhorn,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just hang in there with it, you haven't been at this very long and it can take time to get used to but it does get better.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume that by O2 mask you mean a true mask as opposed to a nasal cannula.

There are several possibilities:
  1. It may just take you a bit of time to get used to it.
  2. I had trouble using nasal pillows, even after having used a face mask. You may need to try different nasal pillows. I tried three before I found one that worked.
  3. You may find that a nasal mask (more like a regular O2 mask) or a full face mask works better for you than the nasal pillows. In the end I went back to a nasal mask.
  4. You may want to turn EPR (Expiratory Pressure Relief) on or, if already on, turn it higher to provide for an easier exhalation.
  5. Your starting pressure might be too low. Try turning off the ramp feature if you are using it or try starting the ramp at a higher pressure. It sounds counter-intuitive, and may not work for you, but it works for me.
  6. Your starting pressure may be too high. Try turning the ramp feature on or starting it at a lower pressure. This didn't help me, but is the more common of the two options.
  7. Since you are using the AutoSet (i.e, APAP), you might like to have the low end of the scale set up a bit. I experienced the can't get enough air problem when my low pressure was set too low.
  8. If the pressure is too high for you, consider starting out at a lower upper pressure and then titrating up over the course of a week, or more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2013, 11:02 AM)DOOM_NX Wrote: Hi.

You don't mention which model of S9 you have.

I didn't know there would be a quiz!. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
In all likelihood your nasal pillows are incorrectly adjusted and not fitted correctly to you nasal openings. Or your exhaust port is blocked, both of which will make it feel like you are are suffocating. If the ramp start level is too low, you will also feel like you are sucking vacuum and if the exhalation force is too high you would also have difficulty, and you would have to set your EPR higher. Have a look at these possibilities before getting too worried about it. Your pillows should sit in your nose in such a way as there is a clear and tangible force of air entering your nasal cavities. It is dead easy for them to sit in such a way that they press at the nasal wall, blocking air intake and exhalation. Fortunately this is something you can fiddle with by hand, and a lot of us have to readjust the pillows once put on until they sit right.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started CPAP therapy I noticed that I would feel like I was "suffocating" if I had the temperature set above 72 degrees. For me, "cool air" felt like it was "fresh air". I also fiddled around with the humidity setting. Because I live on a high desert, "cool, dry air" felt easier to breathe than "warm, moist air". Sometimes when I wake up at night (only once!) to go to the bathroom, I "up" the air temperature a bit and that feels "cozy" because my bedroom has cooled off. Oh, also I have a recording pulse oximeter that I will check (before I fall asleep) if I feel like I'm "suffocating" - just to reassure myself that I'm OK to fall asleep. Hang in there! You'll soon be happier and healthier.
Post Reply Post Reply
By any chance are you/were you or sorta a 'mouthbreather'? That, the simple fact that it *is* new to you 'may' be the only reasons here. Of course, any of the reasons mentioned above are also quite valid as well.

Starting pressure too low, and being a mouth breather and hating the ramp and putting the mask on too soon after getting into to bed were all my problems besides simply needing to get used to the device and pressure.

While I have never had sore sides, I have heard of others that felt that way for the first week or so of use. Sadly, for many, the growing pains of use are a real issue.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2013, 11:25 AM)dbvanhorn Wrote:

You don't mention which model of S9 you have.

I didn't know there would be a quiz!. Smile
Hi dbvanhorn
Model name showing up next to stop/start button (here AutoSet model is shown)
S9 setup http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
[Image: s9-pic1.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

You don't mention which model of S9 you have:

On the back it says "S9 Autoset".

Last night was much better, AHI f 1.5 compared to 7.53 on the first night.
I do expect a "learning curve".

Lungs still burning some today, I have an email in to my dr on that.

I did get the Resmed software as well as SleepyHead (which I find a lot more intuitive to use), and I've been looking through the data. Both seem to miss some events, I can frequently see one event just prior to a recorded event, but there may be some gating criteria that I'm not aware of that prevented those from qualifying.

I am curious about the oximeter. My Dr didn't prescribe it, but it might be interesting to see the data. I have one in my first aid kit, but no idea if it is compatible. I would be interested in pricing the adaptor and cable, and oximeter set.

So far, no miracles but I understand it may take a couple of weeks for things to really kick in.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 267 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 467 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,601 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New user with questions and issues cps22 13 899 10-13-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: cps22

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.