Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New with questions
New with questions
Hi Everyone,
I am a 47 yr old thin female. Last year totally normal sleep study. This year not so much. I have an AHI of 6.1, ODI 5.5 and snore index 3.0%.
Apneas 1 obstructive 2 central/mixed 45 hypopneas.

I guess these are my questions-
1. Are those a high number of apneas and hypopneas?
2. The dr reading the test diagnosed mild obstructive apnea. How is that possible when I have some central/mixed in there? She said reading the actual respiration summary it looked like to her a pattern of obstructive not sure how she could tell that. Is it possible to be diagnosed with mild obstructive when there are some central/mixed in there?
3. I have been experiencing some weird sore throat issues and other issues (neuralgia, tongue spasms, facial pain, twitching) for the past two years. No one can figure it out. Now I am worried that my throat nerves are failing neurologically. Sorry, Im just really anxious about how someone out of the blue develops this. She did say to me that I have facial predisposing issues - high arched palate, low tonsils, nasal collapse, and Im always stuffy nosed. However this has me really scared!
4. I do have a long history of hynogogic illusions (jellyfish visions when I fall asleep, etc). and I have woken up in the past not breathing but that was only monthly. She said sometimes during stress or as we age sleep apnea becomes worse.

Okay, if you have any thoughts on the above let me know. I start CPAP therapy next week.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New with questions
Hi Lindz, welcome to the forum!

The numbers that you list look very low. Unless your oxygen had major desaturations, treatment normally is considered at around an AHI of 20 or above. An AHI of 5 or less is considered as "treated".

Do you have a copy of your sleep study? If not, ask for one. . . It's your right. When you have it, please post it here.

BTW: You say you're a female but your profile lists you as a male. . . not that makes any difference.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

I wouldn't consider 6.1 a high number for me. It may be for you though. You had difficulty breathing long enough for your O2 to desaturate by 5.5% on the average. Which was lower than mine in my study and I had 134 apneas and 152 hypopneas. I can only guess as to why your doctor grouped the O/Central/Mixed into obstructive. They are grouped into Apneas but as you've indicated they are not all obstructive. Maybe she needed to do that to qualify you for a machine? Might want to ask her about it.

It's true that as we age skeletal muscles weaken. They call it sarcopenia. The only way to counter it is with exercise. You fall within the age of when it starts to happen. They claim 40+ with an acceleration around 70. You must be in pretty good shape. As above, each of us are different.

You should notice a real improvement with PAP therapy once you get used to having the mask on your face. The hypopneas will most likely start dropping after you get used to the pressure. My RT said to give it at least 8 weeks to get used to having the mask and pressure all night. It took about that long.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Yes I just changed my profile to female. You said to post the report here- what numbers do you need I can post those?

When she was going over the actual seismograph with me she said the pattern of hypopneas looked obstructive to her, not central. In any event, would those be a large amount of mixed/central? I am always so worried about mixed/ central, especially with all my neuro junk going on.

I am hoping the PAP therapy helps. I was waking up 5, 6 times while trying to fall asleep gasping for air. That led to complete inability to fall asleep. Over and over. THat led to 3 or 4 nights of complete insomnia a week. The only thing that has helped so far is Klonopin I hate to be reliant on it though. Hopefully once the sleep mask goes on, like you said, things will improve.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are a back sleeper, try sleeping on your side. This simple change can reduce apneas.

Regarding the sleep data; I was looking for total time asleep, individual number of centrals/clear, hypopneas, and obstructive events. . . any other descriptive information. Sometimes there is a breakdown on sleeping positions as well.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay so here is my data:
AHI 6.1 ODI 5.5 Snore 3.0%

Apneas 3 =
Obstructive 1
Central Mixed 2

Average Apnea Avg 17 seconds Longest 25 S
Average Hypopnea 30 seconds Longest 65s

Apnea/Hypopnea Index 6.1 total 11.1 supine

Desaturation index 5.5 per hour supine 9.5 per hour
Desat Count 44 supine 32
Lowest SPO2 78% supine 91%
Average SPO2 95.8% (same supine)
Desaturation under 90% = 0

Avg Pulse 60bpm Oximeter Quantity 99.6%

Supine Time 203.2m
Non Supine Time 281.2 m
Upright Time 37.0 m
Activity Time 23.4 m

Est Sleep Efficiency 96.6 total 98. supine (although somewhere else it says 91.4% so not sure why the difference)

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lindz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you much success as you start your CPAP journey and hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lindz and welcome to the forum!

I'm wondering if you actually slept long enough for your doctor to get a look at what's really going on? You mentioned "complete inability to fall asleep, over and over".
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2015, 04:48 PM)cate1898 Wrote: I'm wondering if you actually slept long enough for your doctor to get a look at what's really going on? You mentioned "complete inability to fall asleep, over and over".

An ability to sleep implies that sleep is something we do by some particular effort. But in order to sleep you have to stop making effort. Just as you won't improve your digestion by pushing on your stomach, you won't get to sleep by trying to get to sleep. I've suffered on and off from insomnia for decades, but all I've learned in all that time is that any effort to go to sleep drives sleep away.

I don't know if this is helpful or not...

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Lindz, welcome to Apnea Board.

Everybody has a few central / clear airway events every night. Quite often they are not real events but a pause in breathing which may be caused by shifting position, yawning etc. You only scored two central/ mixed in over 4 hours of recorded sleep, which is totally negligible.

Your real issue is with all those hypopneas. These are most likely obstructive in nature, and your Dr would have seen the characteristic wave forms on the charts accompanying your sleep study. Although there are a lot of events, your total apnea-hypopnea index is very low, and only borderline clinical. However, the average and highest length of the hypopneas would be sufficient (IMHO) to recommend CPAP treatment.

Once on the machine you should see those hypopneas pretty much clear up. You will still get a few central / clear airway events per night but that's really nothing to worry about. You might also find that once you get comfortable with the machine that you can fall asleep much more quickly and without those annoying transition events (and jellyfish). At least that was my experience.

Good luck with your treatment, and be sure to check in regularly with any questions, or just to update us with your progress.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 266 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,599 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.