Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New
New
Hi - i have been using CPAP (Philips-Respironics DreamStation) for about 5 weeks now. Was diagnosed with severe OSA recording an hourly AHI of 52 (recorded at home via oxymetery). Since using CPAP my readings are between 1 .2 and 3.3 (although i have had readings of 5.5 and 6.2). I have found adapting to the mask relativley simple. Perhaps this was due to being highly motivated as i was suspended from driving (this was a shock). I could go on about the NHS etc but perhaps another day. I am hoping someone can manage my expectations and questions below.
1) I generally have more Hypoapnoeas than OSAs - what i dont understand is why i have any at all. I know that "normal" people have apnoeas but why does the machine allow some apnoeas and not others?
2) I have a minimal contact full face mask (it was all i was offered) and wake up at least once a night with it slipping. Sometines this is a leak but more often it moves up beyond my lower lip. Is this normal?
3) I suffer from anxiety and already find myself becoming fixated with the readings as soon as i wake. I note that others use analytical tools - are these useful or will this simply heighten my compulsion?
4)There is no doubt that i am sleeping much better and feel much less tired during the day. However, i do feel slightly weird in that i feel slightly lightheaded etc - is this normal?
5) Finally, i am 17 stone and i am wondering has anyone cured their Sleep Apnoea by losing weight?

I look forward to engaging with you all in the coming long journey.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New
G'day John, welcome to Apnea Board. It looks like you're off to a pretty good start, but you might need to fine tune a couple of settings.

Quote:1) I generally have more Hypoapnoeas than OSAs - what i dont understand is why i have any at all. I know that "normal" people have apnoeas but why does the machine allow some apnoeas and not others?

Sooner or later somebody will ask to see your screenshot from Sleepyhead, so we can see in detail what's going on. In the meantime, it's not uncommon to get hypopneas, which you can think of as apneas which never grew up. The machine has provided sufficient pressure to avoid apneas, but not enough to clear the hypopneas. An upwards adjustment of your lower pressure may be all you require to fix it.

Quote:2) I have a minimal contact full face mask (it was all i was offered) and wake up at least once a night with it slipping. Sometines this is a leak but more often it moves up beyond my lower lip. Is this normal?

It sounds like the mask doesn't fit your face probably. Remember no two faces are the same, so no two masks are going to work for you. It's probably the main cause of people giving up - difficulty finding a mask which is comfortable and doesn't leak. Trial and error seems to be the most effective step forward. But at least give a new model a reasonable chance before giving up on it,

Quote:3) I suffer from anxiety and already find myself becoming fixated with the readings as soon as i wake. I note that others use analytical tools - are these useful or will this simply heighten my compulsion?

Most of us seem to be data junkies and will read their sleepyhead report before breakfast. It's an occupational hazard. Your shrink might have advice on how to manage anxiety in the context of sleep apnea therapy. However, having said that, most people bite the bullet and get on with it, It's true that using the hose becomes second nature.

Quote:4)There is no doubt that i am sleeping much better and feel much less tired during the day. However, i do feel slightly weird in that i feel slightly lightheaded etc - is this normal?

I reckon that will settle down with time, and is no cause for alarm.

Quote:5) Finally, i am 17 stone and i am wondering has anyone cured their Sleep Apnoea by losing weight?

Certainly the symptoms might get resolved, allowing you to use lower pressures. But I've never heard of people actually curing apnea by reducing weight.

Good luck as you progress through the early states of therapy, and let us know how you get on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2017, 08:21 AM)Johnboy Wrote: 1) I generally have more Hypoapnoeas than OSAs - what i dont understand is why i have any at all. I know that "normal" people have apnoeas but why does the machine allow some apnoeas and not others?

Raising your lowest pressure from 4 to at least 6 will help. I have no idea why they keep setting these machines at 4. Most adults can't breathe under 6. Some apneas get through because the pressure is too low for it to quickly apply.
(01-06-2017, 08:21 AM)Johnboy Wrote: 3) I suffer from anxiety and already find myself becoming fixated with the readings as soon as i wake. I note that others use analytical tools - are these useful or will this simply heighten my compulsion?

Hard to say - for many people, we check daily for the first month or two and then once in awhile or if problems develop.
(01-06-2017, 08:21 AM)Johnboy Wrote: 4)There is no doubt that i am sleeping much better and feel much less tired during the day. However, i do feel slightly weird in that i feel slightly lightheaded etc - is this normal?

I have this problem due to chronic sinus problems that I had pre-cpap. I still get them, but the rarely develop anything more than a slightly lightheaded feeling which goes away. If yours doesn't go away, get checked out. It could simply be that you need a slightly lower humidity level.
(01-06-2017, 08:21 AM)Johnboy Wrote: 5) Finally, i am 17 stone and i am wondering has anyone cured their Sleep Apnoea by losing weight?

The few casual studies on this indicate that if you are under 35, you have an over 50% chance of eliminating apnea if you reach the normal BMI for your height. If you are over 35, chances are losing weight will, at best, lower your required pressure, but not eliminate the need for cpap. Much of this has to do with the resilience of tissue to return to a 'normal' state after reaching a reduced weight. I should add that I lost 35 pounds and that increased my apnea. So sometimes losing weight bites back. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Thanks for the replies - most helpful.
I have now uploaded Sleepyhead with my info. I am confused as the welcome screen states that i had periods of significant mask leakage and the stats screen says i had none. Anyway which screen should i upload and how do i do this.

Thanks

Johnboy
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Johnboy, Welcome to Apnea Board!

You will need to get past 4 posts to upload here.

See the links under signature line below. This will detail how to organize your screenshots and upload them.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is that 4 threads or any post?
Post Reply Post Reply
Any post. You are there. Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Good job in finding this forum with it's help from all over the world. How did you find us ?

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Johnboy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.