Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NewBiPap machine- what series is it?
RE: NewBiPap machine- what series is it?
It was perfectly fine. I think it is the exact same as my rental was, it at least functions the same. It definitely does initiate breaths, that is what took a little getting used to when I started therapy last month. It doesn't exactly "time" itself to my breathing, I can be exhaling and it goes to a higher pressure, or inhaling and it goes lower, and has short burst of high pressure what seems randomly. Instead of falling asleep near instantly, it took 5 minutes or so with the random "puff". Now I'm probably back down to 2-3 minutes, it doesn't bother me- I gave up trying to time my breaths to it.

As far as the price- yes, I was very happy. The place that filled my prescription first had a "rent to own" type program, with $580 for the first month, the $417 monthly for 9 more months, which was just not do-able. Glad I found secondwind. My life is soooo much better with the therapy. Doc said I had one of the worst cases she had ever seen, but I don't have anything to compare it to.
Post Reply Post Reply
We see all kinds on this forum. For complex apnea, yours in definitely up there in severity. It's good to hear that this is working out for you so far, and it will be especially nice if we can get EncoreBasic working for you.

You might find this Respironics Titration Protocol document interesting. The procedures for calibrating your machine are described beginning on page 18. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...JF3XeOBRGg

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, if you didn't get one, you can request a copy of the clinician manual from the forum by sending an email to: apneaboard@gmail.com and put "Setup Manual" (without the quotes) in the subject line. Then, in the body of your email include this:

Respironics BiPAP ST (newer, "PR System One" model) Respironics BiPAP AVAPS

That will let you know all about what settings are in there and how to access them.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will do, thank you everyone for your assistance and input.
Post Reply Post Reply
That machine can be set-up in dumbed down modes (even as a straight c-pap). You got a great price for a very sophisticated machine that you will not out grow.
You might want to see if setting the breaths on auto is more comfortable and still provides the treatment you need.
Most any new SD card will work (I just put in a new 16gig). Just put it into the machine (make sure card isn't locked) and allow it to load the info from the PAP, which will take a while. The PAP needs to be plugged in, but does not need to be running. The little "Info" setting icon up by the dial will be flashing while it loads.
Down load the Encore Basic program onto you computer. Take card and put it into the SD slot on the 'puter (if no SD slot, get a $10 SD to USB adapter). Click the "history tab" on Encore and then "return card to patient" then "download from machine".
And you can now stay up nights figuring out what all the data means....
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2016, 12:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you have mixed or complex apnea, or serious respiratory impairment, then it is a correct machine. Your prescription pressures are simple bilevel 16/11 (IPAP/EPAP). That prescription is so messed up, because it calls for a Spontaneous Timed (ST) machine AND adaptive servo ventilation (ASV) which are two completely different things.

Hi Sleeprider - I suspect the prescription is allowing hardware options. Either ResMed or Philips Respironics ST machines can be set to that exact that prescription, as can a Philips Respironics ASV machine. A ResMed ASV machine, however, cannot have PS set to a fixed number, so, strictly speaking, it cannot be set to that specific prescription.

(01-27-2016, 12:28 PM)quickerNu Wrote: I have both central and obstructive apnea. I paid $675 for a used machine from secondwind, with only 8 hours on it. I am still learning what everything means, this is a whole new world for me. I have my sleep study results here, from both the take home, and the sleep center. I am willing to share any info you need for input, it is appreciated. Between my last semester of school, both jobs and the family, my research time has been limited. It is sure nice not to fall asleep unintentionally anymore!

My AHI was 94.2, with 553 obstructive apneas, 17 central, and 34 mixed and 41 hypopneas.

Congratulations. Excellent machine, incredibly low price, even for Secondwind.

If you change the backup respiration rate setting to Automatic, I think you would find the therapy would be more comfortable for you. But perhaps the doctor had a reason/basis for prescribing 12 breaths per minute instead of Automatic. I suggest letting the doctor know if Automatic is more comfortable for you, and asking the doctor if there is any reason to return to a fixed backup rate. I think there would be no harm in following the doctor's lead on this.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,426 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Respironic BiPAP M series pressure settings jamesmck 3 614 09-17-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Remstar pro m series two beeps how can I reset? cantgettosleep 2 1,089 05-21-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: cantgettosleep
  Philips Bipap auto sv advanced series one keithy62 5 620 03-23-2023, 07:56 PM
  Resmed A10 Series Power Switch Question Crimson Nape 6 655 02-02-2023, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Remstar Auto M Series "Service Required" msgill59 24 36,742 01-08-2023, 07:20 PM
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,870 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.