Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newb on my 4rth night with CPAP
RE: Newb on my 4rth night with CPAP
if you use nasal pillows, how do you deal with having a stuffed up nose? I was congested last night and add that to a deformation to my right nostril from a broken nose and I was into some serious frustration. For the first time since I started CPAP, I gave up around 330 am.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2016, 09:46 PM)Xaq64 Wrote: if you use nasal pillows, how do you deal with having a stuffed up nose? I was congested last night and add that to a deformation to my right nostril from a broken nose and I was into some serious frustration. For the first time since I started CPAP, I gave up around 330 am.

I have severe hay fever so I have to deal with nasal congestion on a regular basis. My PCP has given me a prescription for Nasacort, which so far has worked. The only problem with using Nasacort is it takes a few days use to reach the optimal effect so I have to use it everyday to benefit from it. I wouldn't recommend using it long term without supervision from a physician.

On the few occasions I was congested despite the preventative measures, the CPAP pressure was enough to help alleviate the congestion. If all else fails, my backup plan is the full face mask I keep in the night stand.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try to clear both nostrils b4 putting on the mask. Sometimes I have one nostril still slightly blocked but being patient solves the issue. If I wait for 2-3 minutes the air pressure will open up the plugged nostril. Colds can complicate things.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,066 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 219 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 837 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  First night on CPAP. OSCAR feedback? brainfoggysleeper 7 321 02-24-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: brainfoggysleeper
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 388 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 332 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 421 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.