Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newb w Free CPAP no Dr, Settings ?'s
Newb w Free CPAP no Dr, Settings ?'s
So, long story short...or not so short. My mom got a Resmed S9 Autoset a couple months ago and refuses to wear it, so she gave it to me. I am 38 and my wife is an RN who swears I have sleep apnea and video recorded me on her cell phone to prove it. Yep, I do the whole suffocating thing until I pretty much choke out then gasp for air. So I brought the CPAP home and my neighbor's sister showed me how to change the settings on the machine (she's a Respiratory Therapist but never passed her boards so I didn't trust her advice but so much). She basically showed me the auto-set and said it should be fine. I tried wearing it (it has the nasal pillows) but it just seems to be blowing too dang hard and drives me nuts (my jaws hurt and my ears pop like I'm in a plane!). I've read through different google searches that I can change tons of the stuff on the settings to make it easier to exhale and such but I wanted to ask you guys. If it matters, I'm 38 male, 6'1 235 and probably about 40lbs above what I have weighed since high school. I have pretty crappy allergies and according to my wife "snore like a drunk sailor." I do have insurance but already have a nice fat stack of bills and don't have time to jump through a bunch of hoops and copays just to see if I can tolerate this machine. I figure with you guys help and having an RN wife I should be able to dial this thing in and at least give it the ole college try. What would be some basic settings in Autoset to make it comfortable and easier to get used to? Any general tips? DancingTHANK YOU, Bo
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newb w Free CPAP no Dr, Settings ?'s
you can put it on auto and not cpap and try it wide open (I don't recommend this though) and then watch your data in ResScan or SleepyHead (my recommendation) for about 2 weeks. Or you can set it from 8 to 14 or thereabout and again watch your data in the software for about 2 weeks without making ANY changes. You will need to download your data 2 times a week so you don't lose the detailed data. watch your AHI, leak and pressure is sufficient to begin with. hope this helps. Others will have suggestions for you too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! The auto settings page has numerous variables. The person I referred to set the range between 6 and 20 and said that the AUTO feature would determine the correct pressure. I just feel like when I try to exhale someone is holding my nose. The mask fits great, no leaks at all. I just couldn't imagine a way I would get used to the pressure. I just need a baseline for all the settings or where I could jump off in changing things around.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Beerman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2014, 09:03 PM)Beerman Wrote: Thank you! The auto settings page has numerous variables. The person I referred to set the range between 6 and 20 and said that the AUTO feature would determine the correct pressure. I just feel like when I try to exhale someone is holding my nose. The mask fits great, no leaks at all. I just couldn't imagine a way I would get used to the pressure. I just need a baseline for all the settings or where I could jump off in changing things around.

try setting the EPR to help with exhale. You could also try straight CPAP and see what happens but you need to watch your data or you won't know how things are going. How you feel is a part of it but there is much more to it than that. What I would recommend is that you download your data and see what you can tell about where your pressure is 95% of the time. That will at least give you something to go by.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Beerman, welcome to Apnea Board.

Please allow me to seriously warn you that attempting CPAP treatment without first being diagnosed properly can be hazardous to your health. I don't recommend it, especially if you have the insurance to cover much of the cost, as you say.

Here's why:

1. You could be treating yourself for OSA, when in fact, you don't have sleep apnea but another sleep-related issue. You'll never know until you have an overnight sleep study.

2. Even if you do have sleep apnea, it could be central sleep apnea (CSA), not obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), which is much different. The treatment for CSA is not the same as treatment for OSA, and again, you could be making the situation worse, not better. You'll never know for sure until you have an overnight sleep study done.

3. Attempting to titrate your own pressure is difficult when starting out, since you have no baseline pressure to start with. Going for an overnight sleep study and lab titration will help establish a baseline pressure number to help with initial setup on any CPAP or Auto-CPAP machine.

That said, if you still want to go it alone, I always recommend that folks read our page on setting pressures, here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...re-on-cpap

Also, make sure you get a data-reporting CPAP or preferrably an auto-CPAP that is data-capable. Read Archangles' article on Machine Choices here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Good luck to you!

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2014, 08:14 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Hi Beerman, welcome to Apnea Board.

Please allow me to seriously warn you that attempting CPAP treatment without first being diagnosed properly can be hazardous to your health. I don't recommend it,

Exactly. It's the same logic as your mom had prescription pills lying around for depression and because you think you have depression you are going to start taking them.

It's a slippery slope going down that road. You should go to a professional and get diagnosed, if you do have sleep apnea then you already have a quality machine.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 223 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 259 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 932 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 402 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.