Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbe with Chipmunk Cheeks
Newbe with Chipmunk Cheeks
I'm a newbe.  I have a Airsense 10 Auto set with a an Airfit F20 full face mask. 
Not sure what I am talking about as this is all Greek to me.
I did an at home sleep test with results of 5.7.   I have a history of Afib.   

Setting 5 to 20. 
I turned Ramp off.  
Per complaince report from DME: 
EPR:  Fulltime
EPR level 2
Median pressue 11.4 Max  19.9 
Leaks Median 1. 
AI 10.2 HI.7 AHI 10.9 
Central 5.2  Obstructive 4.8.
My problem is that I have chipmunk cheeks several times a night.  I wake up in a wind tunnel with 
my mouth is wide.  I feel like I am goinng to explode.  
My AHI has increase each night with the machine.  

Today, I called my Dr's office.  Suggestion was to get a chin strap per the person that I spoke with.. He said that 
having my mouth open was making the pressure increase to the max of 20.   Is this correct when using a full face mask?  

When I picked up the chin strap,  I dicussed my issues with the RPT.  He said that pressure was going up to 18-20
as I needed that much pressure and had nothing to do with my open mouth, but thought the chin strap might make
me more comfortable.  He said the increase in pressure was not due to leaks.  

He wanted me to try to chin strap prior to reducing the pressure. 

I am reaching out to the more experienced experts.  I'm making myself crazy with "google"  

Suggestions.....

I have Sleepyhead but have not figured out how to post the pictures.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbe with Chipmunk Cheeks
(10-09-2017, 07:12 PM)Sandyelle Wrote: I'm a newbe.  I have a Airsense 10 Auto set with a an Airfit F20 full face mask. 
Not sure what I am talking about as this is all Greek to me.
I did an at home sleep test with results of 5.7.   I have a history of Afib.   

Setting 5 to 20. 
I turned Ramp off.  
Per complaince report from DME: 
EPR:  Fulltime
EPR level 2
Median pressue 11.4 Max  19.9 
Leaks Median 1. 
AI 10.2 HI.7 AHI 10.9 
Central 5.2  Obstructive 4.8.
My problem is that I have chipmunk cheeks several times a night.  I wake up in a wind tunnel with 
my mouth is wide.  I feel like I am goinng to explode.  
My AHI has increase each night with the machine.  

Today, I called my Dr's office.  Suggestion was to get a chin strap per the person that I spoke with.. He said that 
having my mouth open was making the pressure increase to the max of 20.   Is this correct when using a full face mask?  

When I picked up the chin strap,  I dicussed my issues with the RPT.  He said that pressure was going up to 18-20
as I needed that much pressure and had nothing to do with my open mouth, but thought the chin strap might make
me more comfortable.  He said the increase in pressure was not due to leaks.  

He wanted me to try to chin strap prior to reducing the pressure. 

I am reaching out to the more experienced experts.  I'm making myself crazy with "google"  

Suggestions.....

I have Sleepyhead but have not figured out how to post the pictures.

The chipmunk cheeks sound, oh, so familiar! Do you sometimes get them just on one side too?  Dielaughing On me, they're a prelude to a mouth leak, since where else is all that air going to go? But that my be more attractive than swallowing it all? Whoosh, and then I sound like a cyclone!

PS I'm a newbie too: can't help with the numbers, but I have boatloads of fellow feeling.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 07:12 PM)Sandyelle Wrote: I have Sleepyhead but have not figured out how to post the pictures.

Hi Sandyelle,
It would be great if we could see the daily page from #SleepyHead.

Follow the tutorials in my signature line.  This will show you how to take a screenshot, organize the graphs, and then use imgur to post here.

Since you are new, post the link from imgur and leave a space in it.  Type http as h ttp

We can figure it out from there.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
https://imgur.com/5nv83yd
https://imgur.com/r4wLw1C
https://imgur.com/WJ45u9f

Hope this works
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to turn on your event flags at the bottom of the page. But without seeing the events I'm guessing your having clusters of event's where the pressure increases to the max. A lot of people here use soft cervical collars to keep their chins from dropping down and cutting off their airway. You might want to try picking one up at the local drug store.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Agree, turn on the Event Flags.  Bottom left of daily page.  Use drop down box and select so they show up in the event graph.

Before reposting, Smile these are the graphs we would want to see:
Events, Flow Limitations, Pressure (not mask pressure), Leak rate and Snores.
Also, all the stats on the left side.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
h ttps://imgur.com/WJ45u9f
h ttps://imgur.com/r4wLw1C
h ttps://imgur.com/5nv83yd
Post Reply Post Reply
The events flags are still off.

Bottom left of page, right under last graph. There is a drop down box. Click on the arrow and change the box from red/black to green/black. Do this for each event.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Last Night.  

https://imgur.com/gVok8FS

Prior nights.  

https://imgur.com/L4HdK1d
https://imgur.com/QKnOoMM

I hope this is correct.  thanks again for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job on the graphs.  I fixed your links since you transioned to member status.

Your pressure needs do seem high, and a minimum pressure of 5 is too low.  That needs to be closer to your median pressure.  My recommendation is to raise is to 10 and lower max pressure to 18.

If you are able to tolerate the pressure without EPR, I would turn it down to 1 and possibly to off.  This may help with the Clear Airway events.

I think the pressure is being driven by some flow limation.  It wouldn’t hurt to try a chin strap to help with mouth breathing, but more folk have better results with a “soft” cervical collar.  Measure your neck circumference and add 2 inches, and measure the height too.  You can find a variety of sizes on Amazon.  You want it to be loose enough so you can easily move and not be constricting.

Hang in there, others will be along to advise.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chipmunk cheeks/mouth puffing her.suit 2 457 01-29-2024, 08:56 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Chipmunk cheeks solutions SystemF 2 1,033 07-13-2023, 02:42 AM
Last Post: barney999
  Two week newbe need help maskadon 18 1,063 02-19-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: maskadon
  Mask fit - chipmunk cheeks Jmellarkey 0 783 01-07-2023, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Jmellarkey
  chipmunk cheeks /other frustrations martyedb 4 1,176 10-23-2022, 07:53 PM
Last Post: OldYamaha
  Puffy Cheeks walt48 9 3,137 09-26-2022, 08:21 AM
Last Post: ErElf
  [Pressure] Help me de-chipmunk Millstone50 5 945 01-23-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Geer1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.