Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbe with Complex Apnea - Best ASV to get?
RE: Newbe with Complex Apnea
Well I would ask has anyone set up their own ASV-PAP machine??

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2013, 09:49 PM)racprops Wrote: Well I would ask has anyone set up their own ASV-PAP machine??

Rich

Good question rac.
I'm sure someone around here has done so. I have not been around long enough to bump into any as yet.

I'm sure that with some careful reading & tips from *competant* techs it is doable.

Lotsa Luck!

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
OH Need wood and more fire...

This tread seems to have run out of steam.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Setting up your own ASV would be interesting. If they have an auto mode, definitely go that route. Central apnea is tricky to treat.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
That is what the Doctor said...

BUT I think I rather do it myself and not be tied to him...

Question is can it be done?

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure. When you get your machine, get the clinician manual. Study it. If it has auto mode, set it to that then collect data for at least ten days. At that point, you can re-evaluate and decide what to stay on.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
BEST ASV_CPAP machine for self setup?
OK Here is what I would like to know:

From what I have read, it seems hard to get a ASV_CPAP Machine that will read out central apneas.

As I am thinking of getting a ASV machine and doing the set up by myself (with all the help I can get from all of you…)

I need a machine that will provide the data to do this.

All feedback on this idea is welcome.

I have a long back ground as a repair man and builder, from cars to computers to complex models.

I am very technical.

Rich

See my other thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plex-Apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
I was reading that many machines do not report central apnea so started a thread asking about that.

I feel I will need those reports.

Also my central was reported to be CPAP caused, so with exhale pressure cut I should be AOK.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BEST ASV_CPAP machine for self setup??
(03-21-2013, 04:53 PM)racprops Wrote: From what I have read, it seems hard to get a ASV_CPAP Machine that will read out central apneas.

Just as an FYI... no CPAP, APAP, bi-level or ASV will be able to determine a true central event. Central events are primarily a brain malfunction, where the brain fails to communicate properly with the lungs to "tell them to inhale/exhale". The xPAP machines don't have electrodes hooked up to your head to determine those events properly.

That's why many machines don't list those events as "centrals", but rather "clear airway events" - meaning that the machine had scored an event, but that your airway appears open (not obstructed), so it "assumes" that it's likely a central event, but that determination cannot be made authoritatively without being hooked up in a sleep lab.

Now, some machines may be better equipped to score those events properly (as centrals or open airway events). For that question, we'll need to get some opinions from ASV users...

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BEST ASV_CPAP machine for self setup??
Also wanted to bring up the question of whether or not CPAP-induced central events are something to worry about extensively at all, especially if the vast majority of events are obstructive rather than open-airway events.

We've had several discussions on whether higher pressures induce centrals in most patients or not... but I think the more important discussion should be "do a few pressure-induced centrals really matter a whole lot?" (as long as they are not extensive in number)?

Certainly, there's going to be a "sweet spot" of pressure and other settings where obstructive events are lowered to acceptable levels without inducing an unacceptable level of central events. The procedure for finding that sweet spot for an ASV should be close to the same procedure for doing it with an CPAP or Auto-CPAP, I would think. There are other additional settings on an ASV (see the manual), but the general concepts are the same.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,919 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 275 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 326 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with Complex Apnea Joey67 6 577 03-23-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  PLEASE HELP! Central/Complex apnea hopeforusall 10 855 03-15-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.