Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbe with Complex Apnea - Best ASV to get?
RE: BEST ASV_CPAP machine for self setup??
I just learned that:

OK Called Phillips Resanonics and asked about central apneas...reporting.

AS they are NOT reading brain waves they cannot accurately report on centrals BUT As the machine will sense a non-breathing event and send a pulse of air into the air pipe and react to this test: If there is back pressure it is a obstruction apnea and react and record it as obstruction and if there is no back pressure it will again push air in and record it as a "Open airway" Event..

So open airways can be reasonable be read as centrals.

You learn something every day.

And had posted it on the other thread...I was considering weather to pull this thread BUT I may learn more with as well:

Like what people think of their ASV.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
And your second post does raise a question as what is considered acceptable levels of any apneas??

During my sleep study they recorder I had 73 OB. Centrals of 35 with Hypopneas of 71 and the avg. lenght was 24.4 seconds this was under CPAP and a short trial of BiPAP.

I kind of wonder when do I really breath between all of that...

So I now can guess I cannot expect these numbers to be zeros?

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you're extremely lucky, those numbers will seldom be zero. The goal for CPAP treatment is to get all apnea events (combination including obstructives & centrals) plus hypopneas under 5.0 AHI. See this Wiki page on AHI.

As Archangle stated in another thread, it's likely that obstructives and centrals are equally damaging to your body. If you can get the combined total below that 5.0 AHI level, that's considered as acceptable AHI levels by most. However, you'll find that on this forum, a lot of folks are after that "elusive" AHI of 0.0... :grin:

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2013, 05:16 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: We've had several discussions on whether higher pressures induce centrals in most patients or not... but I think the more important discussion should be "do a few pressure-induced centrals really matter a whole lot?" (as long as they are not extensive in number)?

Let me further illustrate what I'm talking about above. Let's say that you're on CPAP and during the night, roughly 62% of your events are centrals, 20% of your events are obstructive and 18% are hypopneas.

Ordinarily, given the above stats, one might think "Oh my, you need to get those centrals down - the majority of them are centrals - you need an ASV pronto"

However, you have to look at the overall AHI levels. Those percentages could be perfectible acceptable. You have to look deeper into how many events we're talking about that make up that percentage. For instance, assume while on standard CPAP, the underlying events reveal numbers like this:

During 8 hours of sleep: 24 central events (62% of the total), 8 obstructive events (20% of the total) and 7 hypopnea events (18% of the total).

That's a total of 39 events during the night. Divide that 39 by the number of hours of sleep (8) and you get 4.88 events per hour (an AHI of 4.88). That 4.88 AHI level is perfectly acceptable, even though 62% of all events are centrals.

Given the above fictional scenario, I'm not sure that prescribing an expensive ASV would be the best route, especially if standard CPAP or APAP could get the AHI below 5.0.

Hope that made sense!

Smile
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It does.

Now with my record of:

AHI: 68.1 HR
RDI:68/hr
A Obstructive index of 27.5/HR and a Mixed apnea index of 0.8/HR

How does that look?

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Them Numbers seem real High

if i where you i would go to the docs

Do not mess with a machine yourself get the pros to do the ground work then when your readings are under 5

see how u feel about adjusting it yourself

give it 6 mth before you even touch the setup manual

mine are down to 2.5 and i feel great

if you get yours down to below 5 or 5 and feel great leave it alone
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2013, 06:28 PM)racprops Wrote: Now with my record of:

AHI: 68.1 HR
RDI:68/hr
A Obstructive index of 27.5/HR and a Mixed apnea index of 0.8/HR

How does that look?

I'm assuming that's your untreated AHI level, correct? (when not on any type of CPAP machine at all)... a 68.1 AHI is considered severe sleep apnea definitely, although many here have a much higher untreated AHI level.

The numbers I gave in the above example were for AHI while under CPAP treatment, so if you could find out what your AHI was while under CPAP/BiPAP during the sleep lab night, that would be nice to know, along with the best titrated pressure the lab worker could get during the titration.

Alternatively it might be worth it to find someone with an extra data-capable Auto-CPAP machine to see if you could lower your overall AHI with that machine, rather than spending 3+ times the cost for an ASV.

Or, perhaps you could find a local DME who might rent one cheaply for a week or so as Paula suggested. Or actually purchase one that has some sort of 100% money back warranty for 10 days or so through the DME supplier, so that if after a week you find it doesn't reduce AHI to 5.0 or below, you can turn it back in for a complete refund, or at least a complete credit that you can use towards a more expensive ASV.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this; but, I think a recording oximeter would give you some of the most important data needed for optimizing your therapy. Especially when dealing with clear airway events.

I know that's not really answering the question about what the best machine is for self setup - but it's something to think about.

We all know how to deal with obstructive events: Obstruction bad. Obstruction not supposed to happen. Try stop obstruction, <grunt>.

Clear airway events are a little different. I think its pretty justified to assume that having a lot of or long CA events is a bad thing - but I think it is really hard to properly evaluate without O2 saturation data.

JMHO

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry that was ON A CPAP.

Off I was

AHI 104.1/hr

RDI: 104.1/hr

Obstruction index of 36.4

Also the AVG. SpO2: 90%
Low SpO2 was 79%

ON CPAP:

AVG. SpO2 was 92%
and Low was 84%

AHI at optimal pressure N/A
Post Reply Post Reply
I second jgjones1972's suggestion for an oximeter. Low cost piece of equipment that will tell you a lot of what's going on during the night. Happy Eyes

(03-21-2013, 07:22 PM)racprops Wrote: Sorry that was ON A CPAP.
Off I was
AHI 104.1/hr
RDI: 104.1/hr
Obstruction index of 36.4

Oh my... yeah, that's pretty high for AHI while on CPAP. ouch. Sad But then again, I don't know what pressure he had you at during the titration period.

But I think you said that the sleep tech really didn't get a chance to fully titrate you, correct? (ran out of time).. If so, could it be (for example) that he only got up to a titration pressure of around 12 cmH2O of pressure, but ran out of time to see if higher pressures would have solved the problem? If so, perhaps raising CPAP pressure to 16 might have lowered AHI to 5.0, but he ran out of time to check higher levels of pressure... (just using arbitrary numbers as an example here)

The problem here is that you were never properly titrated. I'm wondering what prompted the tech to switch from CPAP to Bi-level during the titration...

Was it 1) the increased central events, or 2) that he couldn't lower AHI even at a top level of 20 cmH2O (the highest level on most CPAPs)?

Bi-levels go to higher pressures (most of them go up to 25 cmH2O).

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,923 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 326 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with Complex Apnea Joey67 6 577 03-23-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  PLEASE HELP! Central/Complex apnea hopeforusall 10 856 03-15-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.