Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbe with Complex Apnea - Best ASV to get?
RE: Newbe with Complex Apnea - Best ASV to get?
Well it looks like this tread has run out of breath...

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2013, 06:48 PM)racprops Wrote: So a couple of questions: Where can I get the complete tech manual for this?

Hi racprops,

As a member of the forum, you can request the clinician's manual (PR-System-One-BiPAP-AutoSV-Advanced-Provider-Manual) from this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...P-Pressure

(04-08-2013, 06:48 PM)racprops Wrote: And where can I get the best software to monitor my treatment, is it Sleepyhead or??

I think some forum members are successfully using the free SleepyHead program with your model machine:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...V-Advanced

I think there is also a program for sale from Philips Respironics to monitor the machine's data, a viewer program named EncoreViewer targeted for sale to patients, but, not having used it, I don't know if it displays all the detailed data or not:

http://www.healthcare.philips.com/us_en/...viewer.wpd

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2013, 06:11 AM)vsheline Wrote: The S9 Adapt can only go to a maximum of 25 cmH2O, whereas the PRS1 unit can go as high as 30.

My mistake. Actually, the new model PRS1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced manufactured starting around 2010 is similar to the ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt models, allowing pressures up to 25 cm H2O.

Philips Respironics has many web pages, and, until recently, a PR web page included an out-of-date spec sheet which was for an older model BiPAP autoSV Advanced, which did go up to 30 cmH2O. (I didn't notice that the spec sheet was for an earlier Philips Respironics BiPAP autoSV Advanced model which did not include "System One" in the model name.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
A thousand thanks.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been advised I should have my blood gasses checked to see if I am a co2 retainer.

My friend is concerned that I might be falling into Hypercapnea = co2 retention

He writes:

"Normal Blood gas levels being close to 40 mm hg on measurement, but when 50 60 70 and higher effects you more. co2 can lower your PH meaning acidosis in the blood or lower PH, and also can effect conscious levels or even apnea. Real high obviously more a problem.

Kidneys can compensate for PH by retaining higher bicarb levels to balance it to more normal or normal. Your lungs pick up oxygenation for transport and organ function and metabolism, and they eliminate co2, (a byproduct) from metabolism and return to the lungs for elimination.

Obstructive lung disease patients, as in emphysema etc etc have about 35% as being co2 retainers like this. Important to know about for you, for your apenic phase (base-line) so to speak, as is your co2 already at high levels (before apnea occurs) etc.

They should go over with you all your tests as in apnea durations in seconds. How many obstructive verses central caused. Also Hyopopnea's, which are not quite apnea, but very to very very shallow air movement episodes. Also how many if any, oxygenation desaturations (Low Oxygen Levels) during apnea, and for how long a period are they in seconds vs how many.

You should be evaluated in a sleep study for your new machine and after a few weeks of use as to where it is going with your treatment. This should be thorough as this is life itself and serious.

For sure tested also after you are able to sleep entire nights through on it for the study as to efficiency. This is not what anyone desires to do Rich, but I can't express enough to be compliant with your therapy you need to have.

It takes time to adjust to this kind of therapy, and you need to be cared for periodically also, when you have. "

So I remember reading some where about recording O2 monitors but cannot find them.

So I am asking reactions to my new friends concerns and where I can find notes about recording O2 Monitors.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2013, 10:34 AM)racprops Wrote: I have been advised I should have my blood gasses checked to see if I am a co2 retainer.

My friend is concerned that I might be falling into Hypercapnea = co2 retention

Hypercapnea (high CO2) does happen, but hypocapnea (low CO2) is much more common with complex apnea. High CO2 tends to cause you to have the urge to breathe. Sometimes high CPAP pressure causes you to wash out the CO2 from your blood and this can make you "forget" to breathe for a while.

CO2 problems are real popular with the hypochondria crowd right now.

Why do you think you have hypercapnea? Have you go some sort of obstructive lung disease?

O2 meters check O2, not CO2, but they're a useful tool. The CMS-50 series seem to be the most common one. Be sure to get a recording pulseox. One that doesn't record is of no use for apnea. For instance, the CMS-50D+ is a cheap and OK recording pulseox, but the CMS-50 doesn't record. (note the plus sign.)

Supplier 19 sells them.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2013, 04:35 PM)archangle Wrote: O2 meters check O2, not CO2, but they're a useful tool. The CMS-50 series seem to be the most common one. Be sure to get a recording pulseox. One that doesn't record is of no use for apnea. For instance, the CMS-50D+ is a cheap and OK recording pulseox, but the CMS-50 doesn't record. (note the plus sign.)

The wrist-worn units with separate finger sensor cup are less uncomfortable to wear all night. If you have sensitive skin or if you want to use one most nights instead of less frequently, I suggest getting a wrist-mounted unit, such as the CMS50F.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok here we go:

Got all the goodies together yesterday and got is set up by the Doc. Today.

I also did little dry run with it watching a movie to get used to it a little and to learn how to turn it on and off. All seemed fine then.

I have just spent the last 45 minutes on it for my first try at going to sleep. The ramp setting is nice…but did not fall asleep.

Run into a small problem, my mouth when dry even with the Humidifier turned on full.

Is that normal??

Also mask seems to hurt my face a little..I hope I can get used to it.

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
WOW first sleep under ASV, got to sleep for a couple of hours, back in my old bed.

AS I feared I am spoiled to my recliner.

Woke up to all kinds of pains, chest, right leg, right foot, left arm and lower back. Mouth not dry this time.

Taking a couple of pain pills and moving back out into the living room and setting up to sleep with the AVS machine in my recliner.

Hope to get good night's sleep there.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I have my first report:

Still trying to fully understand all of this:

I had a reading of:

AHI 18.92

Break down:

Hyponea 3.78

Obstrutive 1.06

Clear Airway 15.08

RERA & Flow Limit 0

VSnore 2.73

PB/CSR 7.52

I take it the machine treated all of these.

It reports 6.36 hours of sleep (I fell asleep once so lost a hour or so)

My charts are on and off all night as I kept waking to wet mouth. (and the visit bathroom)

I take it a fair beginning??

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,922 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 326 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with Complex Apnea Joey67 6 577 03-23-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  PLEASE HELP! Central/Complex apnea hopeforusall 10 856 03-15-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.